2016 Auditions for Junior Associates

JupiterSmith

I don't think they contact each applicants dance school plus you don't even need your dance teacher's signature. Have you thought about auditioning for any other associate schemes like Tring or LJB or YDA? Last year they all held their auditions within the same month and although it was a bit hectic it was great to experience each different scheme with the Royal being the last of the bunch meaning you are nicely warmed up by that point if frazzled and out of pocket.

In my opinion, for my own peace of mind, I would let your dance teacher know you are thinking of applying. I say this mainly because it's such a lovely opportunity and the audition day itself is a special one. Would you want to be panicking the entire time and stressing that someone will find out or you might bump into someone who knows someone? It would ruin it! I really feel for you as you certainly aren't doing anything wrong. I would stick to your guns, hold your head up and tell the school and if they react as badly as you say then that will just confirm you should move on to somewhere that is more encouraging. I feel if you can't approach a teacher about this then you can't approach them about anything and if you aren't a dancer yourself or come from a dance background you really need a much higher level of support than you currently are getting.

Oh and if you do audition for LJB just...don't trust the donuts in Chiswick ok?

• Like 7

lol thank you petal violet, typo due to typing on my iPhone.

Just to add too if your dd balletmum28 does successfully apply to be a JA it's incredibly competitive once she's there too and you will need know you dds school behind her. Although I can also say is sometimes very nice for dd to attend a school where nobody knows She is a JA or is asks if she's been successful in any auditions, dds school is a lovely sanctuary from the audition roller coaster at the moment.

Edited by Snowflake

But also just to complicate matters further...if you do go down the "not telling" route...and no one would blame you.. You will have to rely on your seven year old to be discrete too, which is an added pressure at a very young age. You could not tell her she's going to audition up until the day before but afterwards there's no guarantee she won't say anything and it's a good few weeks before results come out and a lot of nail biting for you. I'd get it over and done with and if the school start being difficult come back here and have a good vent and enjoy a Balletco group hug plus many a story of 'was the same for us' etc.. Just another perspective though?

• Like 4

I have given my details to countless applicants over the years, the only contact I have had has been from Royal, usually the standard newsletter type email about opportunities coming up etc. The only time they have contacted me personally has been when a student of mine had paid for summer school, white lodge and mid associate auditions which had resulted in an overpayment, they were struggling to contact her parent and reached out to me in the hope that I would be able to contact her parents. Other than that I have liased with several of the Royal teachers to watch my students classes or to discuss additional work I can be focusing on in their local classes.

One of my students also gave me an envelope addressed to "Teacher" the first year of her associate which included a list of classes and times and a contact email if I wished to attend any of the sessions.

For all the other associate programmes, Hammond, Elmhurst, Moorland Ballet Elite, Graham Fletcher, Etc I have never been personally contacted with a successful/unsuccessful results or otherwise.

In my opinion, for my own peace of mind, I would let your dance teacher know you are thinking of applying. 

Yes, I agree, and possibly try to have the conversation by phone if you can, or at least out of earshot of your dd and other dc's & their parents. Some teachers are very touchy if you seem to be stepping out of line and disobeying their orders!!

(I shall never forget something dd's first teacher once said to me, when dd was standing right beside us). :o   :(

Edited by taxi4ballet

For all Rbs ja and mids moms

Fiona Harvey is a ja teacher and is doing a 3 day summer workshop

For more info contact Fiona Harvey ballet through Facebook places are limited

The venue is booked for my Summer Workshop! The Workshop will take place on 8th, 9th and 10th of August and is open to keen ballet dancers aged 10 - 15 at St James School in Exeter.

Guest teachers to include Royal Ballet graduate and Franklin Method coach Rachael Hall plus ex English National Ballet Soloist and Choreographer Jenna Lee!

More information to follow shortly. Please help spread the word by liking and sharing this post.

Thank you!

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

just to say that theres a new ASSOCIATES PROGRAM in kent, 'PRIMA ASSOCIATES' - auditions are this summer - entry into  sep. theres a link here 

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/12075-prima-associates/ 

Stillatit, in line with the Commerce section of our Acceptable Use Policy, please could you add your commercial contact details into the signature line of your profile. Janet McNulty has provided you with a link in another thread where you have posted about prima associates. Thank you.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, new to the forum here and my first post, so I hope it works!! Has anyone who has applied this time heard back which date the London JA auditions are going to be? I have emailed but get no reply... 

Welcome Katia. I'm sure someone will know and reply soon. Good luck - I'm jealous of all you parents with children that age now that none are all grown up. I loved our time involved with JAs, WL and Elmhurst - honest ;-)

• Like 6

Welcome Katia. I'm sure someone will know and reply soon. Good luck - I'm jealous of all you parents with children that age now that none are all grown up. I loved our time involved with JAs, WL and Elmhurst - honest ;-)

You never know Julie, one day you might have grandchildren who want to dance !!

• Like 2