2016 Auditions for Junior Associates

JupiterSmith

Yes, I am! My DS has been a JA and is now a MA and as a result my 7-yr old DD is very very keen to audition! Am under no illusions though (thankfully, wiser second time around!) - i know it is tough to get a JA place, tougher for girls as there is a lot more competition and, at our centre at least, tough to get a Yr 4 place. But we are going to give it a try! The nice thing is that everyone who applies gets an audition so good for the kids to get a sense of the teaching, the programme and the process even if they are unsuccessful first time around. There's never any harm in trying again!

Good luck to you and your DC if you decide to go for it,  JupiterSmith!

I've got several students applying this time for Royal, elmhurst and Tring junior associate programmes. And for the first time I've got students going along to the JA experience days, because thankfully I've actually noticed it on the Royal website before the dates have passed.

My advice to all my students, though I mainly stress it to parents, is don't think of it as an audition, think of it as just another class with some brilliant teachers and more often than not a pianist, which most local dance schools just don't have access to! This not only settles nerves but softens the blow of audition fees! Go in with no expectations and then there is no disappointment whatever the verdict.

My first girl to get a JA at royal auditioned at 8 having only ever taken one exam 3 weeks before the audition, myself and her mum had convinced ourselves the chances were virtually zero but the experience was good, and she loved the whole day she had a huge hot chocolate before she went in had pictures outside the royal ballet sign, had some lovely royal ballet merchandise, and thought the class was fabulous. The yes letter several weeks later was just the icing on the cake!

• Like 7

My middle ds is going to the JA experience day in Bath. These days are a great chance to discover what a JA class is about and the focus and concentration needed on a weekly basis if they were lucky enough to get a space in the future. He has watched his brothers JA class but needs to experience it for himself. The applications opened last week on their website.

• Like 1

oh Im going to sound so stupid, but I have no idea what DS/DC/DD mean? I know theyre a reference to a child but Ive rarely used parent forums before!

I'm putting my daughter forward for the experience and hopefully so she finds it exciting and fun, she absolutely loves ballet and so it will be something for her to try for. I know there are so many applicants and so few chosen so I'm not going to put crazy pressure on her, just let her go and try her best. Just wanted to see how it was for others daunting/scary/normal etc 

My middle ds is going to the JA experience day in Bath. These days are a great chance to discover what a JA class is about and the focus and concentration needed on a weekly basis if they were lucky enough to get a space in the future. He has watched his brothers JA class but needs to experience it for himself. The applications opened last week on their website.

Do you have the date for that to hand? Will have a look now, thanks :)

JupiterSmith - took me ages to figure that out too! DS= Dancing son, DD = Dancing Daughter, DC = Dancing child(ren)...at least that is what i think they all mean!!

the Experience Day stuff is all on the website - though I have tried to register for Leeds in Feb and it says it is sold out so may I have missed the boat!

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/?s=junior+associate+experience+day

• 2 weeks later...

I also think of it as Darling Daughter – usually when her ballet demands are even more exacting than usual ;)

oh Im going to sound so stupid, but I have no idea what DS/DC/DD mean? I know theyre a reference to a child but Ive rarely used parent forums before!

I'm putting my daughter forward for the experience and hopefully so she finds it exciting and fun, she absolutely loves ballet and so it will be something for her to try for. I know there are so many applicants and so few chosen so I'm not going to put crazy pressure on her, just let her go and try her best. Just wanted to see how it was for others daunting/scary/normal etc 

JupiterSmith - took me ages to figure that out too! DS= Dancing son, DD = Dancing Daughter, DC = Dancing child(ren)...at least that is what i think they all mean!!

the Experience Day stuff is all on the website - though I have tried to register for Leeds in Feb and it says it is sold out so may I have missed the boat!

http://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/?s=junior+associate+experience+day

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My 8 year old Ds is already an associate with LJB but he would like to audition for RBS JA's this year.  He is not flexible but is trying very hard to do the splits - maybe he will be able to do them by the audition but the likelihood is that he won't and definitely not box splits.  Is it worth him auditioning or is everyone auditioning very flexible and is it something that they look for?  TIA 

Con  :)

My 8 year old Ds is already an associate with LJB but he would like to audition for RBS JA's this year. He is not flexible but is trying very hard to do the splits - maybe he will be able to do them by the audition but the likelihood is that he won't and definitely not box splits. Is it worth him auditioning or is everyone auditioning very flexible and is it something that they look for? TIA

Con :)

I watched a JA workshop in Covent Garden last year (Y6). None of the boys there could do the splits. My friends son is in full time at Elmhurst and he is getting there now, but he couldn't do them when he auditioned either. I think there needs to be a degree of flexibilty, but certainly not splits :)

Don't forget that flexibility can be very affected by growth and strength. Bones and soft tissue do not grow at the same time and you can find more stiffness just after a growth spurt. Tight hamstrings can sometimes be due to an imbalance in strength with the hip flexors. Lots of things will affect flexibility and it is best not to overstretch and allow the body to adapt slowly with careful training and gradual strength building. good teachers know and understand this.

• Like 2

I was going to say something very similar to Harwel's post. My DD was trying desperately to push her splits into oversplits last year, as well as trying to achieve box splits. She is 12 now, and growing, and was complaining about 'popping' and pain in her hip. So I told her to stop. Front splits are helpful in achieving a 'flat' grand jeté, but there is no actual requirement for box splits in ballet at this age, although I realise there may be in jazz/acro.

• 1 month later...

I second what taxi is saying. What looks aesthetically pleasing to a photographer in my experience is rarely what looks good for a dancer. I take all my students audition pictures, and I always shoot from the floor up on my iPhone. Check the light against where they are positioned in the room as I've had some very odd shadows appear!

One set of age 7 entry photographs I took came with no pictures of what it should look like, how parents were supposed to navigate the terminology without a teachers help I'll never know!

• Like 4

I am new to this forum but need some advice regarding my 7 year old dd please.  We are considering applying for JA’s this year but I just wondered if it is compulsory that I get permission from her dance school to do this?  The reason I am reluctant to do so is that the school does not seem to advocate this kind of thing and in fact from my observations they seem to actively discourage it and get very annoyed if anyone even considers additional training elsewhere.

My dd absolutely loves ballet, has just received a high distinction for her Grade 1 RAD exam and from my untrained eye seems to have some potential.  I do not want to go behind our dance schools back by applying and then getting caught, but at the same time I am worried that if we don’t apply she could end up missing out on an opportunity and we could regret it later on.  The deadline for applications is looming so I really need to make a decision one way or the other! Thanks :-)

Teachers normally take a lot of pride in pupils that get into the Royal associate scheme and tend to use it for good publicity for their school. You won't be able to hide it if your dd got a place so you need to tell the teacher your dd would like to audition in my opinion. The audition is a good experience and a nice day out regardless of outcome.

Edited to add the vocational associate schemes state they are to compliment the training a child would have with their local teacher. Is your school getting upset by pupils looking for lessons with other local schools rather than national associate schemes?

Edited by Jane

Jane I'm not sure but they just don't seem to like the idea of pupils going anywhere else.  To give you an example my friends son got a year 7 place at a vocational school last year and the same dance school didn't even congratulate him.  In fact they actually suggested it was foolish that he was going and that he could get the same level of training by staying with them.  I also know of other children who have applied to various associate schemes in the past and have then felt the school treated them differently afterwards.  I probably need to look for another dance school tbh but that's another matter  :(

Thank you for the welcome Janet  :)

I agree it should be a positive thing for a dance school to have Associates and great experience for DC. If they do not agree to Associates in general that may be a reason to move school. However, with RBS JAS for example they are looking for a particular body type so your teacher may genuinely feel it isn't the right scheme for your daughter.

.....We are considering applying for JA’s this year but I just wondered if it is compulsory that I get permission from her dance school to do this?  The reason I am reluctant to do so is that the school does not seem to advocate this kind of thing and in fact from my observations they seem to actively discourage it and get very annoyed if anyone even considers additional training elsewhere.

..... I do not want to go behind our dance schools back by applying and then getting caught, but at the same time I am worried that if we don’t apply she could end up missing out on an opportunity and we could regret it later on.

I've been told of this attitude several times in recent weeks (by PM on here, and also on another forum), and it both saddens and infuriates me. We experienced it ourselves some years ago too - and dd left one dance school because of it. As parents, we encourage and support our children, and if they show promise in an activity, whatever it is, then we hope that they will be given every opportunity to fulfil that promise. Naturally, we would expect the person teaching our child to want the same thing.

Any teacher worth their salt would want the very best for their students, and should help them in every way possible to develop their talents. Aside from anything else, that is what we are paying them for!. Most dance teachers are thrilled if one of their students is successful in gaining a place as an associate or in full-time training, and celebrate their success.

I simply can't get my head around why some teachers go out of their way to discourage young dancers from auditioning for these coveted places. Why are they like this? Why on Earth would they be annoyed if one of their talented young students is successful? The students do not 'belong' to them and they have no right to prevent them from auditioning wherever they want to. I cannot understand their attitude at all.

Surely it would be a success for the teacher too, and a testament to their own talent as a teacher and the quality of their training, and they ought to be pleased, not cross.

The only thing I'd suggest is to apply for the audition anyway, and maybe look around to find another dance teacher with a slightly more agreeable attitude :)

• Like 7

My DD's teacher was careful to be very neutral/objective about auditioning, possibly in case of disappointment. First JA attempt (Yr 7) she said "Yes, audition, but know that it could go either way" – and it was a no. Second attempt (Yr 8), I emailed her to ask if she  thought it was a good idea; she said 'let's discuss', and then never raised it again. DD auditioned anyway, more because I was trying to help her learn resilience, and she got in. Teacher's response was that it was well deserved, and a wonderful opportunity. I know the head of the school isn't so keen on the scheme, but only I think because the JA programme expects you to prioritise their classes over dance school commitments and competitions. (I think our 'Scholars' scheme in NZ is a bit different – at Yr 8 they have two ballet classes plus one Pilates every week of term, plus the two girls who've joined at Yr 8 are being encouraged to do the Yr 7 Pilates class as well to help them catch up. So that's an extra 4 hours a week on top of the usual 7 hours of ballet/contemporary. Conflicts are going to happen!)

• Like 3

My son is a JA and at his centre his teacher actively encourages his other interest of Musical Theatre.

He was called back for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and missed a couple of classes last term and missed another one this one due to another show. She is completely supportive and says that those experiences are wonderful for him. I watched his class last term at parents watching and it was one of the best classes I have ever seen. He absolutely loves it.

We were at a dance school that did not permit any students to attend associate schemes. It was crazy so my children left!

Good luck to everybody auditioning this year and extra luck to Balletmummy28 on the school front! It's a very stressful time!! X

• Like 5

Thank you for all the replies.  I think we are going to go ahead and apply as I may always regret it if we don’t.  I’m just worried as you have to enter the name of the Dance school and Principal on the application form, but I’m presuming they would only ever be contacted if a pupil was successful in getting a place?  Can’t imagine the RBS having time to contact the dance school of every applicant at this stage surely?

For what it’s worth a few people (outside of our dance school) have told me dd has the perfect physique for ballet and would be “just what they are looking for “. She is tall with ridiculously long legs for a 7 year old, so not sure if this is what they mean, but this is how we found out about JA’s and started looking into it for her.  I didn't even know such a thing existed before!

Hi balletmum28, why don't you ask to make an appointment with the principal of your dds school and explain how much your dd aspiires towards a career as a balletina and see what she advices? . My dd is from a school too where students aren't ever asked to apply for associate schemes, but lines of communication between us and the school are always open and she was strongly encouraged to try after as she was advised to be potentially "Royal type" and the school checking we would be able prepared to fund it and happy for her to board. They asked me because due to the enormous amount of energy and time she was putting into her gymnastics career they felt she'd be better directing into ballet where she wouldn't be finished at age 18 and make a career out of her passion. Good luck I hope They can offer you advice and guidance constructive communication we need that as parents if not and they won't help you or your dd is there another school your dd could move too nearby ? xxx

Edited by Snowflake
  • Like 2