Strong Women in Ballet

This is giving me much food for thought. I guess it also depends on how we would describe what a strong woman is!! Aaarrgggh I have a meeting now, but more later.

Starter for ten: how about Lise, in Fille? She isn't quite a woman yet, but she stands up to her mother and the rich farmer down the road and point blank refuses to marry the man chosen for her. Most unusually, it ends happily all round; even Alain would prefer his brolly to a woman!! :)

• Like 4

Starter for ten: how about Lise, in Fille? She isn't quite a woman yet, but she stands up to her mother and the rich farmer down the road and point blank refuses to marry the man chosen for her. 

Ah, but does she?  She's really rather reactive rather than proactive.  After all, the reason she doesn't end up marrying Alain is because her honour is compromised.  It's not as if she deliberately set up the reveal of her and Colas in her bedroom. 

• Like 1

i think Tatiana is one of the strongest females in ballet actually. Her strength is actually what moves me most in Onegin because she has made a vow to her husband and she refuses to break it. By the time Onegin realises he loves her, it's too late....ahhh gets me every time!

• Like 13

Myrtha. I well remember seeing Giselle with SWRB in the 80s. It was at the old Sadler's Wells and we were sitting on the end of one of the first 3 rows. When Siobhan Stanley told Hilarion to go away and die my friend almost found himself creeping out he was almost that scared.

• Like 8

Ah, but does she?  She's really rather reactive rather than proactive.  After all, the reason she doesn't end up marrying Alain is because her honour is compromised.  It's not as if she deliberately set up the reveal of her and Colas in her bedroom.

No, but I think we all know that there is no way Lise has any intention of marrying Alain. And how do we know it wasn't planned? That was the one sure way to be caught. I mean, why else would they be snogging right at the door and not in her bedroom, if they didn't want to risk anyone finding them? The scenario screams 'please find us' to me!

• Like 3

No, but I think we all know that there is no way Lise has any intention of marrying Alain. And how do we know it wasn't planned? That was the one sure way to be caught. I mean, why else would they be snogging right at the door and not in her bedroom, if they didn't want to risk anyone finding them? The scenario screams 'please find us' to me!

Not sure about that.  It screams "the audience needs to be able to see this" to me :).  Never mind, we can agree to differ.

Does Alice (Wheeldon's, at least) count, or is she too young?

• Like 1

Kitri in Don Q - she seems to be in control.

Titania in Midsummer Nights Dream - a match for Oberon.

Fortuna in Carmina Burana - very scary!

Agree with the first and third, and to an extent with the second - Titania is certainly strong-willed, but OTOH Oberon still has the upper hand.  She's the one who capitulates.

Actually, staying with Shakespeare, I'd say Hermione and Paulina in The Winter's Tale, as well.  It must take a lot to face down your husband, the king, when he accuses you of adultery.

Thinking of The Bard should we consider Katherina in the Taming of the Shrew, not least as BRB are performing this in the Summer?

Based on the play, as I haven't seen the ballet, Katherina starts off as a strong woman but by the end it very much depends on how you interpret the production/Shakespeares' intentions. Most modern mainstream productions try to hint that Petruchio & Katherina have tamed each other but there are plenty of differing views out there in print.

• Like 1

Back to Katherina, the doyenne of ballet critics, Mary Clarke, was adamant that Katherina tames Petruccio. Not the other way round. I agree that there is a lot of room for different interpretations of the story.

Either way I am really looking forward to seeing the ballet again.

• Like 1

I agree, definitely Giselle and Odette

Swanhilda in Coppelia-cheeky, defiant, not willing to stand any nonsense from her silly love-struck suitor who's fallen for a doll

Juliet- strong willed, passionate and fiery- esp in the Nureyev version I saw on Saturday where she is the one who arranges the marriage- I can't remember if that is the case in other productions or in Shakespeare's play

I agree about Paulina in The WInter's Tale- she seemed in the end to have almost mystical powers -I loved her character

I think so much depends on the choreography and interpretation especially in the nineteenth-century ballets 

• Like 1

i think Tatiana is one of the strongest females in ballet actually. Her strength is actually what moves me most in Onegin because she has made a vow to her husband and she refuses to break it. By the time Onegin realises he loves her, it's too late....ahhh gets me every time!

Yes, I would also agree that Tatiana is up there amongst the strongest, especially if the dancer really puts across the momentary weakness wherein she almost capitulates, then head overrules heart and Onegin is sent out of her life forever.  The contrast in those two moments sums up the whole sadness of the story and, like TTP, it wrenches my heart every time.

• Like 1