Affordable lyrical dresses?

thewinelake

DD is looking to source 3 lyrical style dresses for a little show she's doing at school. Something a bit like this: http://www.capezio.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/650x/040ec09b1e35df139433887a97daa66f/b/g/bg001_wht_325.jpg

Is it possible to hire such things?

Or get them cheaper than £35?

Edited by thewinelake

Could you make something like this? Buy a cheap leotard. Add a long chiffon skirt. Tie a thicker ribbon at the join to make a sash. Or something more creative. I needed a costume for a performance and took a piece of chiffon sewn at one shoulder and put it over a leotard with a ribbon tied around. It didn't look too bad and was very cheap. Just a though :)

• Like 2

Maybe (not me personally, but I know some handy with needle & thread!). The problem is getting 3 the same. To be honest, £30 isn't so very bad, but given that there are only 3 shows, it seems a bit wasteful!

Btw, this is going to be danced to "I dreamed a dream" and so something a bit raggedy would work well...

Edited by thewinelake

Well, we'll see... I don't know about you, but I often find things that look great on the website disappoint by the time they've been delivered! Having said that, the negative comments mostly seem to be about them being a bit short, which is unlikely to be a problem here (probably). 

Can't believe that I've never seen Les Mis (either on stage or screen) - but this seems to match with the general vibe ;-)

My only thought is that they're a 42" round-bust measurement.  Will they be too big/fall off shoulders and suchlike?  Were you planning on taking them in, or belting/sashing them?