Visiting The Theatre

NorthernAndBallet

When visiting a theatre what are your basic requirements? For me there's only one thing, and that's comfortable seating. I'm 6ft 3ins tall and need a lot of leg-room and so always book early to get an aisle seat, or somewhere else I can stretch my legs. Of course this means I don't get the best view or acoustics, and it might be quite draughty where I'm sitting, but needs be. I regularly visit the theatres in South and West Yorkshire and am always able to get somewhere appropriate, whether at the old Victorian theatres, the modern theatres...or the various other venues.

What are your preferences and priorities? 

Well you are a foot taller than me!

I prefer sitting in the stalls, I like comfortable seats and (as long as they are not too low - as they are at the Palace Theatre in Manchester) I prefer sitting on the front row so I am not behind someone who is 6'3"!!  Comfortable seats are always welcome too.  I have often found there is less leg room in the circle, one of the reasons I prefer the stalls.

On the ballet circuit I follow my favourite theatres (in no particular order) are The Lowry, Sunderland Empire, Liverpool Empire, Edinburgh Festival Theatre, West Yorkshire Playhouse and Norwich Theatre Royal.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily ask for the seating to be *comfortable* (heaven knows, I have to sit in the balcony at the London Coliseum often enough), but I *do* need legroom as my leg doesn't bend too well.  I don't know why it is that so many theatre designers think many people are amputated at the knee, but they must have gone to the same school as many bus designers (don't start me on why the designated disabled seating so frequently has absolutely minimal legroom ...).  That's why I like the New Victoria in Woking, for example (and I think Wycombe Swan is the same?).

I prefer to be in the stalls, but not too far near the front, maybe row H ish in the centre. I along with a couple of friends used to go and see Bob Dylan quite a lot when he was touring Britain, and almost always got on the front rail. That's obviously quite different to a musical, as you would be too near in most theatres,especially Le Mis with the barricade for instance. 

Edited by Vonrothbart

• 3 weeks later...

It depends on what I'm seeing.  Front row of a section is always good, or a side aisle seat with a clear view towards the centre, not just for guaranteed lack of a tall person in front of me (I was at Christian Gerhaher's Wigmore Hall recital on Sunday and could only hear him, not see him...) but because if people are misbehaving - fiddling with their phones or constantly fidgeting - a front-of-section seat means I have as few of them in my sightline as possible.

Budget dictates that most of the time I take a cheap seat or stand, in which case I would rather be at downstairs or mid-level than right at the top.  While most theatres offer better sound in the gods, I like being able to see performers at closer range.  When I do splash out and treat myself, I always go for proximity even when there's a compromise involved; occasional front row seats at the ROH means you lose sight of the dancers' feet, for example, but I'd only ever spend that sort of money on dancers whose faces I like watching, so I can't understand why anyone would want to be miles away in the Grand Tier...

I can tell you what I don't like - the newly redesigned town theatre next to our ballet school!  For some reason they decided that everyone has to come in from the top of the stalls and make their way down. There is no entrance near the lower rows - they did away with them. So today when we took over a hundred of our students, including pre-schoolers to see Nutcracker they all had to go down rather steep steps from row 20 down to their seats which were in rows 9, 7, 2 and 3.  Having got them down there,  of course we then had to take several of them all the way back up again to go to the loo.   There is no central aisle either.  They built a circle, which has very poor visibility - it's too high and away from the stage, so you wouldn't like that Pas de Quatre!   I have to say that the sight lines are good in the stalls, but the logistics of getting to your seats and getting out again are a nightmare.  I needed to get out quickly at the end in order to teach a class of older students, who didn't go to the performance, but I was stuck behind 13 rows full of people all climbing up at a snail's pace........

• Like 1

What are your preferences and priorities? 

I, too, am 6' 3".  I prefer leg room, elbow room, and no one in front of me to block my view.  Plus, I don't want to feel obligated to slouch, slump or hunch because Janet is sitting behind me.  ;)

To accommodate all of my needy needs, I prefer to purchase an entire box, if available.  By the way, I purchased box 59 to see Companhia Nacional de Bailado perform Sleeping Beauty in Lisbon on 12 December, and my usual travel companion cannot go with me.  If you are in Lisbon and would like to see Sleeping Beauty, let me know.  I think I have some room for you.   :)

• Like 1