Orthotics and shoes for summer - any help appreciated!

Gingerbread

Following seeing the physio recently, DD needs orthotics .... I can't think that there are any shoes in the shops at the moment that will work well with these! I think ideally the choice would be lace-ups but I can't see that 1)they are available or 2) DD would want to wear them for the summer term (although needs must, of course)! What about Converse (or something cheaper/similar) - is this sort of thing do-able with orthotics?

Lots of questions but someone must have gone through this! :)

Edited by Gingerbread

Not quite the same, but I wear my orthotic insoles in ordinary trainers, and the podiatrist told me this was ideal.

If dd wants to wear sandles in the summer - look at Birkenstocks or something similar. Although you can't wear orthotics with them they give a bit more support to the foot than a regular sandle.

Hello Gingerbread.

My DD also needs to wear orthotics in her shoes. Her podiatrist advised that in summer, if it was really not possible to use her insoles, she should wear Birkenstock of Fit Flop sandals, as they give the foot more support than regular sandals. Not a cheap option, nor something to be used too regularly, but perhaps a compromise for fashion conscious teenagers on hot days?!

• Like 1

Orthotic insoles are fine in Converse - my DD does exactly that!!...(she also wears her beloved lace up DM boots throughout the year - with shorts, dresses, anything really - and these also work well with the insoles in!!)

• Like 2

thanks for replies! I will try to go for the option that's the most economical, and also that meets with DD's approval. These 2 things are rarely if ever the same...

Will we need to buy the next size up, to incorporate the orthotics? I will wait til we've got the orthotics and take them along when we buy the shoes to make sure. (actually that's probably the obvious thing to do but it's only just occurred to me!

Beware of Birkenstocks (depending on what's wrong with your feet). I used to love them but had to stop wearing them due to quite bad plantar fascietis. I swear by my "Fit-flops" - expensive but worth every penny.

My 13 year old dd wears orthotics. You shouldn't need to size up; the main thing is to take the orthotics with you when shopping.

Here's dd's list of shoes which fit her orthotics in without her feet being too high and falling out of the shoes:

Vans Classic lace up canvas plimsoll thingies (her current summer school shoes - v fashionable apparently) - from Schuh

Dunlop Flash canvas laceups (have a flat innersole and deep heel cup) - these come in an assortment of colours - from Sports Direct

Birkenstocks for summer sandals (once you know what size, Amazon are usually a bit cheaper) - they've never hurt her but as Julie says, it depends what the problem is. If she doesn't have plantar fascitis but is overpronating, you should be fine with Birks as long as they're ones with good arch support.

In the winter she wears black laceup boots which come a little way up the ankle - think Victorian - and her orthotics fit nicely in them. All her friends think that she's cool, apparently!

If your dd is not allowed to wear plimsoll type things or boots to school, I'd write to her head of year explaining why she is wearing them, and pop a copy of the note into her schoolbag, so that if she gets questioned during uniform checks, she can just show a copy of the note.

Converses would probably work, by the way. I only haven't tried them because dd has always been happy with Vans or Dunlop Flash. :-)

• Like 2

Orthotic insoles are fine in Converse - my DD does exactly that!!...(she also wears her beloved lace up DM boots throughout the year - with shorts, dresses, anything really - and these also work well with the insoles in!!)

My dd wants a pair of Floral DMs for Christmas - glad they fit orthotics! :-)

• Like 2

Yes orthotics definitely work in trainers or Converse style shoes - I usually have to buy the next size up to fit them in.

A couple of years ago I invested in some flip flops from American company SOLE and I swear by them. They are at least as good, if not better than my off the shelf Superfeet orthotics (my feet are only just getting bad enough for me to decide to go to a podiatrist as the off the shelf ones previously sorted most of my problems). They're designed specifically for people whose feet pronate (leading to shin splints etc) or who have a tendency towards plantar fasciitis, both of which I get intermittently or if I don't wear insoles. They're expensive but have lasted me 2 summers so far and still going strong, super comfy, you can get very pretty ones and I have no foot problems with them!

I'm feeling a bit dense here and am mystified by much of this thread. How do you know whether your feet, or a child's, need orthotics or not? I'm not sure what orthotics are - I feel a bit of intense Googling coming on! What problems are people having with their feet? Or is it something to do with how your shoes wear down? Is it something a doctor can diagnose?

Hi Rowan,

The physio suggested that dd see a consultant podiatrist when she kept having recurring bouts of achilles tendonitis in year 6. He could treat the tendonitis but suspected that the problem was caused by her overpronating her ankles, in other words, rolling in. We had never noticed it and it was only really visible when shown to us.

The podiatrist prescribed orthotics which re-aligned the ankles and raised the heel slightly. Now she's been wearing them for almost 3 years she never gets achilles pain now except for if she wears "party" shoes for too long. Now the orthotist team at our local hospital just ask to review her every time she goes up more than 1.5 shoe sizes.

I think plantar fascitis can also require orthotics, but that causes pain in the foot or heel rather than in the achilles (I think?)

Julie, I didn't know that Birkenstocks were bad for plantar fascitis. I thought they were generally very supportive. I suffer from that quite badly and swear by Skechers Shape-ups. They are marketed as a toning shoe, similar to fit-flops but they have a material in them that is a bit like a tempur mattress and provides such a comfortable surface to walk on. Also because the heel is slightly lower than the front of the shoe, it helps with alignment of the foot.

I'm feeling a bit dense here and am mystified by much of this thread. How do you know whether your feet, or a child's, need orthotics or not? I'm not sure what orthotics are - I feel a bit of intense Googling coming on! What problems are people having with their feet? Or is it something to do with how your shoes wear down? Is it something a doctor can diagnose?

Orthotics are insoles which fit inside your regular shoes to adjust the position of the foot.

In my case my foot rolls inwards, and this gives me pain in my foot and toes. I was referred by my GP to see a podiatrist who prescribed Orthotic insoles, which seem to really help.

Sometimes a 'problem' with the position of the foot, such as it rolling in or rolling out, throws other parts of the leg out of alignment and this can cause pain in ankles, heels, knees, even the back as things rub or get strained. So a physiotherapist may prescribe Orthotic insoles to correct this.

Orthotics are usually individually made to suit the individual.

Edited to add - this is just my experience of Orthotics, I'm not a medical person so may have got some things wrong!

Edited by glowlight

Vans Classic lace up canvas plimsoll thingies (her current summer school shoes - v fashionable apparently) - from Schuh

Ooh, I wish my DD's school would allow shoes like that. They are not allowed to wear canvas shoes or sandals of any type - standard black school shoes all year round whatever the weather, and they do get sent home if they break the rules. I'm normally totally in favour of strict uniform policy but my DD has certain "odour issues" with her feet! She only wears canvas ballet shoes for that reason so I will leave you to imagine what her leather school shoes have been like in the recent weather!

a yoga exercise which my teacher (very very good with all sorts of injuries) suggests is extremely helpful to strengthen and align feet (esp pronating)- I will try and describe so hope it makes sense:

1) Kneel on floor knees together with a belt (yoga or cloth or prob theraband would do) under your lower calf/ankle area

2) cross band/belt over on top of your calves and grab hold of each end with the opposing hand (behind your back obv).

3) pull the ends- has the effect of pulling your ankles and heels together

4) a) with heels held so they are touching and feet stretched out behind (eg tops of your feet and toes are flat on the floor) sit on your heels. remain for 5 min or as long as you can bear

4) B) turn toes under so your foot is flexed - kind of like a runner on a starting block- but still both knees and ankles together, then sit back on your heels as before- 5 min or as long as bearable

most people find one of these positions ok and the other excruciating.

10 min a day should have a significant effect on posture/arch strength etc.

ps my diving (high board) daughter used orthotic insoles in converse and also found kickers very supportive- not just for the arch but also for the ankle.

Now that I have had pronating pointed out I find it extraordinary how many people you see on the street who are storing up later life joint problems by wearing really flat shoes and rolling in or out....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I wish my DD's school would allow shoes like that. They are not allowed to wear canvas shoes or sandals of any type - standard black school shoes all year round whatever the weather, and they do get sent home if they break the rules. I'm normally totally in favour of strict uniform policy but my DD has certain "odour issues" with her feet! She only wears canvas ballet shoes for that reason so I will leave you to imagine what her leather school shoes have been like in the recent weather!

Hi Pups_Mum,

Sorry, been away all week so catching up now! Canvas pumps aren't officially allowed at dd's school but because they are the only type of spring/summer shoes which fit her orthotics, school allow them on medical grounds. I just make sure dd carries a note explaining why she wears them which she shows at uniform check. :-)

I've just seen this thread and it's so helpful! I've been struggling with finding decent summer shoes for years so I usually stay in my Victorian-style leather boots plus orthotics for as long as possible then limp around in flat pumps or flip flops which are really uncomfortable. However, I stumbled across these http://www.shoezone.com/Womens-Flat-Heeled-Casual-Shoes/Earth-Spirit-Sporty-Leather-Womens-Shoe-in-Grey/L1905?utm_source=Google-Shopping&utm_medium=Google-Shopping&utm_campaign=Google-Shopping a while ago and they are fantastic. They fit my orthotics and are nice and cool in the hot weather, besides they look much better with summer dresses than boots do! Next step - find a way of stopping the crippling tendonitis that comes from full-time dancing with over-pronation... If anyone invents orthotics that fit in soft blocks I will be eternally grateful!

My dd has been training herself - combined with use of orthotics - not to roll in when dancing. She has been strengthening her feet and ankles so that the hypermobile joints are supported and this helps her not to roll in when dancing. Shimmer, could a dance physio give you some exercises to help?

My daughter wears her orthotics inside her school shoes, she wears Clarks brogue type lace up shoes, she doesn't go up a size, just goes up in the width... She normally measures as an F width so has a G to fit the orthotics... She also wears them in her converse at weekends. Its always best to have the orthotics with you when trying on shoes, to get the best fit.

I have discovered a website called www.hotter.com

their shoes look supportive. There are some summer-ish looking pairs.

On their FAQ's it says:

"What styles have removable insoles that will enable me to replace them with orthotics?

The majority of our footwear includes removable insoles. The depth of the orthotic may affect which styles are the most suitable. Please call our customer services on freephone 0800 083 8490 for advice."

that sounds hopeful! Looking at the actual shoes, most of them my DD would not consider, BUT there are some possibilities. It's worth a look, mainly for adults I would say. Hope someone finds this useful! (shoes seem to be around the £50 mark - similar to the converse/vanns price).

Edited by Gingerbread

I LOVE HOTTER SHOES!

Lots of my friends love Hotter Shoes but we are a bunch of old fogies (one requires support since breaking her foot a few years ago and one has very short wide feet)!

The company is based in Skelmersdale and most of the shoes are made in the UK. I know there are shops in Southport and Norwich and I am sure there must be others around as well as the company offering a mail order service.

• Like 1

Aha!

I'd never even heard of them til I picked up a leaflet in doctor's waiting room this morning!

Would you recommend their shoes for orthotics and/or ballet dancer's feet? (assuming said 13yr old finds a pair that suit)!

DS used to have endless problems with his feet and was given orthotics, but couldn't dance with them in. The podiatrist off handedly said a friend of hers had heard of a strapping technique that might work. You get the 2 inch non stretch strapping plaster and starting under the arch come up the inside of the foot over the top and around the back of the heel. It effectively pulls the arch up and worked.

I tried it when I got plantar fasciitis and the pain vanished in about 5 minutes.

We eventually discovered that it was down to shoes not having any arch support. DS now looks at shoes by sliding his hand down the sole feeling for arch support and if their is none the shoes are rejected outright. Tough choice for the fashion guru of the school who has nearly as many shoes as his mother! EHe hasn't had any problems since doing this simple check.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...