RIP David Drew

Sad to announce on here that the Royal Ballet's David Drew has passed away after a long illness.  What a dedicated and faithful member of the RB he was, not to mention a wonderful artist and ambassador for the company.  

Here is a lovely obituary by Paul Arrowsmith, courtesy of Dance Tabs:

http://dancetabs.com/2015/10/obituary-david-drew-royal-ballet-principal-with-the-company-56-years/

One of God's angels on earth.  David Drew once taught a group of actors and prison inmates a session on balletic mime for me.  I ran into one present on that occasion a few months ago (on the out I hasten to add) and he said that the impact of that particular programme and David Drew's wit and kindness lived with him even now.  We were lucky to have such an extraordinary artist in our midst.  RIP.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 9

This is a sad news. I always admired David Drew's stage presence and manners.

A few years ago I had a privilege to watch him in class. He was on a slightly heavier side by that time but was doing absolutely everything that had been proposed by the ballet master: all turns, jumps, bends, without missing anything. His face was glowing, he enjoyed the routine, and his enthusiasm was inspiring. I thought at that time how lucky the younger members of the company were having chance to work side by side with such a dedicated colleague.

Rest in peace, dear ballet artist. Thank you for your many performances that I have seen.

• Like 9

It is, indeed, sad news.  I met David late in life, through my wife - a RAD Scholar with him back in the 1950s and then a colleague in the Company.  For his skills as a raconteur, I would warmly recommend his telling the story of the Company learning Les Noces from Bronislava Nijinska in the mid-60s - a substantial and amusing extra on the Royal Ballet Firebird DVD from around 2001 or 2002.

• Like 8

Many of the current members of The Royal Ballet I follow on Facebook and Twitter are saying how sad they are. RIP, Mr Drew.

He was a very fine teacher, we were fortunate enough to watch him take a pas de deux class once, magic. He will be sadly missed. 

RIP David Drew. A wonderful dancer/actor. My favourite Tybalt by a mile. So handsome and charismatic,he could wear a costume with absolute authority, never made it seem like something he had just put on if that makes sense,much like the equally marvelous Derek Rencher. 

• Like 3

Another sad loss for British ballet.  I've lost count of the number of character roles I've seen him in over the years, but can't visualise Firebird and A Month in the Country in particular without him in them.  He was also a fine raconteur, as those who saw him at the Ballet Association or London Ballet Circle will know, and wasn't afraid to stand up for his art and his company when needed.  My deepest sympathies to his family and to all those who loved him.  And grateful thanks too to Paul for the detailed obituary.

• Like 6