Audition day schedule questions

Boogalou

Please can somebody tell me what actually happens on the audition day for Tring/RBS and Elmhurst. I found a time table of the whole day for Hammond but not the others. Are they as a class or solo? My dd would be auditioning for yr 9 btw. Any feedback would be greatly received.

Don't know about Tring at all.

First round at RBS a class lasting around 1.30 hours. Think there was a quick talk about trying again if not successful, how few places etc.

First round at Elmhurst children have a class again about 1.30 hours. Parents have a talk from principal followed by tour of school. Last 10 minutes of audition class parents invited in to watch.

• Like 1

Hi Boogalou,

Sorry I know you PMd me about this - just having some building work done so not organised.

Tring is similar to Hammond. Ballet class/modern class/limbering/short dance/option to sing or play instrument. Then kids do a written exam. Parents get talk and tour. It's a fun day. Lovely school and very friendly.

• Like 1

A couple of years ago now for us but Tring's audition day consists of:

Ballet Class

Modern Class

1 min or 1.5 min solo piece

Optional Drama solo/instrument solo/singing solo

followed by academic tests

It sounds like a heavy day but it isn't - my DD loved all her audition days.  

Edited by DancingDays

Yes, even the dance course candidates are encouraged to do an instrumental solo or a drama or singing solo if they want to...but there's no obligation or expectation for them to if they don't feel comfortable with it.  Some children literally just do their dance solo.  My DD did a little drama piece although she does still take piano lessons...I think it just gives the audition panel a chance to see more of the children which is good.

At Tring there are 2 seperate auditions - theatre arts (musical theatre) and dance. You can apply for both or just one. The drama and singing come into the TA audition. Playing an instrument is optional. The dance audition is ballet class, jazz/modern class, dance solo (no style specified) then lunch and an academic test. This was 2 years ago now, so you never know something may have changed. You get all the information in plenty of time.

• Like 1

Yes same for us - applied for dance only but had option of song/instrument if at a certain level.

In retrospect, as dd would only have gone with an MDS, I wouldn't do the song again as nothing to do with MDS. If you would go with a non MDS offer may be worth showing a wide range of enthusiasm!

My DD only auditioned for dance Harwel and did the drama solo in addition to the ones you mention....but like you say the audition pack gives all the info

Oh interesting. DS did both seperate auditions so maybe that's why I thought that, as there was no point in singing and acting for dance as he did it for TA.

• Like 1

I think I remember it being mentioned (possibly on this forum) that MDS awards for the dance course at Tring were for classical, so it might be a good idea to do a ballet solo if you were aiming for that. Also, they like to see individuality in the solos, so if you don't have one already they are happy to see pieces choreographed by the students themselves - it doesn't necessarily have to be specially prepared by their teacher (as in a festival or competition solo).

• Like 1