Yorkshire Ballet Summer School

tutugirl

Actually to,be honest I know it's not PC to say this but that first week will be the very last week of school and of the school year. All the exams etc are over things are winding down even sports days and Prize giving days are over usually by the last week.....so it does seem a bit mean to say "no way" to a parent who,wants to take their child out for a very good reason like this......especially if the child is happy to miss the last week too.

The second week should suit most people though. Some people do both weeks but it is very expensive so may be better to spend that money on a week at another summer school instead.

It is very good and although they look at where you are plus piccies or audition etc....my friends child had either just passed Advanced one or was near taking the exam (in 2013) there is some observance of age .....I can't remember exactly now but I think 14 plus was senior. My friends child was 13 at the time and had come over from Australia to do it ....certainly they allowed her into a more senior group than the Juniors ......but may be there are three groups?? It should all be there on the website. There were quite a lot of children from Elmhurst and the Royal there but a few others like my friends child who is not and was not at vocational school in Australia!! She loved it and did it again last year but as a border this time.....in 2013 we stayed in a B and B outside York.

The teachers were good but classes quite large 25 plus......more than most kids would be used to at their local schools etc.

I think they are Taxi4ballet.

My DD is in her final year at primary school and would not want to miss all the important milestones, like leaver's party and assembly to mark the end of her 6 years at that school, so many of the summer schools aren't an option for us to apply to as they fall in the final week of term.

• Like 3

I was going to add that if you are in the two most crucial years at school mainly Year 6 and then again just pre sixth form year 11 then of course missing the final day at school may be an issue especially if changing schools etc.

However for others missing the last week may not be such an issue.

Edited by LinMM

I'll check with my seniors later if anything has changed in this region, but it always used to be like that.  A two edged sword - either Yr 11s were available for extra exam practices & rehearsals during the day, or else they had disappeared completely and didn't take part!  It was only those doing certain AS levels that started immediately in the later part of summer term who went to school, and many AS levels have now been abolished.

I think it varies from school to school!

Also times have changed!

We had to go back after the exams to do these courses we had to sign up to. We were not allowed to just stay at home after the exams finished!! In the end I'd signed up for a pottery course which I really enjoyed so wasn't too taxing!!

After A levels it was similar though my best friend at the time lived very near the school so we used to sign in for the PM register and then disappear of premisis round to her house!! No one checked up on us so much then it seems .......we got away with it for weeks....hidden away in her garden!!

Some girls disappeared off to the local town to coffee bars there but if they were seen they would be in trouble!!

I'm not sure with the school leaving age being what it is whether children would be given permission to just finish after GCSE exams as would be 16 and below school leaving age ....no doubt some rules around this.

The rules are that regardless of actual age or whether they have turned 16 or not year 11s are allowed to leave school on the last Friday in June of Year 11 (this is also the magic date they don't need performance licences/chaperones)

However they have to remain in education or training for longer now but a course starting in September is acceptable.

• Like 1

When you are in messenger, take a look at the bit called 'storage' - it will tell you how much room there is for messages as a percentage.

If it is at 100%  all you have to do is delete some of the old messages and free up some room, then you can receive new ones. I found out because mine filled right up once too! Hope this helps. :)

• Like 1

Year 11s around here are free once they have taken their last GCSE exam with the exception of a compulsory induction day at the 6th form of their choice. It poses a problem for other years though as the school's are no longer permitted to allow time off for holidays within school term time so the school would have to be agreeable to signing off the week as 'off site education' or something similar. Even if the school itself does not mind a child missing the last week of term, local authorities can fine parents if they are so inclined. Quite an easy money maker when the fine is per child and per parent. Not in our area but I do know of a family who took their 3 children out of school a week early to make a holiday out of a family wedding in Canada and both mum and dad were fined individually for each child.

I agree to some extent Pas de Quatre

As a retired teacher I do think there can be a bit of give and take on this by schools.

If a family were continually taking out their kids for holidays then the Head might need to crack down a bit!!

But if it's for a special occasion and that family has never taken the kids out early before then a judicial bit of common sense might be applied there!

Likewise if a child is taken out to do something directly educational ( so that includes Dance/Music students) then I cannot see a big prog with this as long as any school work necessary at the time is caught up with etc.

The worst weeks to take children out as a teacher for me would be the first two weeks of September when new classes are being set for groups and so on. The last week of any term is not so crucial unless the child is involved in something that they don't want to miss like a school production performance if it's in the last week. Most of the major syllabus for a term has already been completed by the last week so shouldn't really be a problem.

However I think in recent years because there has been quite rightly a general crackdown on any truancy it's had a knock on effect on children not being taken out for ANY reason which has got a bit over the top.

• Like 2

The head of my daughters academic state school was delighted that my dd has been offered a summer school place (2nd to last week of term) and said she'd find a code so it could be recorded as education out of school/in another venue or similar so it won't affect her attendance record. Shame other schools couldn't be so understanding. However this is at primary school level, have no experience of secondary education yet!

• Like 3

High schools have the same coding available. My dd does such a tiny amount of proper work in the second summer half term (high school) I have no doubt a SS would be more educational. Makes me grumpy actually -it would be better to spread out evenly over the year.

• Like 1