Great British Railway Journeys 21st Feb 'Royal Ballet School''

Just spotted that in tonight's episode Michael Portillo 'visits the Royal Ballet School in Covent Garden and hears how in 1909 a Russian ballet company took London by storm.'

Something to see on the iPlayer if you didn't see this heads up in time

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 5

Just watched this by chance! It's only a few mins but is quite an interesting clip as was the bit on the shop Liberty's immediately before

Havent been to that shop for quite a few years now but decided might give it a look over in coming weeks!

Back to the ballet..... I don't know who the young lady was being coached in an Ashton piece but I guess could be a student still though don't know how long ago the programme was made.

It looked as if the chairs in the Floral Hall were the new ones, so, was it recently made?

Good to see a short but quite interesting piece from the RBS.

Liberty is as beautiful as ever Lin and always worth a trip. My Mum used to say the shop assistants there wore long velvet gowns when she was a girl in the 1920s - so it was interesting to hear this confirmed and see a photo.

Thanks for the alert Rob: I don't normally watch this:  (love trains but don't like the presenter.....) and would have missed it if not for you.

• Like 2

Rob S - Thanks for mentioning this as many would have missed this altogether (the blurb in the Radio Times was totally unhelpful mentioning only a Victorian shop and netball). The RBS sequence was short, but interesting. At least they got the dates right  (1911 not the 1909 as mentioned by Portillo ).

It was good to see Anita Young looking as if she is still perfectly capable of leading the shades down the ramp and setting a perfect example to the 31 followers.

• Like 2

Have to laugh Portillo has a go at quite a few odd things on his travels ( obviously doesn't mind sending himself up) but he declined to take part in the ballet.....a step too far even for him!! 

Edited by LinMM

14 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Looks like Portillo is promoting "Open Up" by going to have a drink in the Floral Hall with no mention of attending a performance!

BUT he managed to speak of the 'sumptuous surroundings' and was drinking champagne - thus reinforcing the elitist image. I would have thought it prudent for the ROH to 'police' any such filming as it undoes what they are spending millions on.

• Like 4

As episodes of this series go, it wasn't exactly one of the most scintillating, to put it mildly, but it was good to have a bit of a look in on the RBS.  I can't see them ever having got away with simply having a glass of champers without any further coverage of the venue and its function if it had been one of his European journeys, say to Vienna or somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, capybara said:

BUT he managed to speak of the 'sumptuous surroundings' and was drinking champagne - thus reinforcing the elitist image. I would have thought it prudent for the ROH to 'police' any such filming as it undoes what they are spending millions on.

Very good point, capybara. And rather than just having a drink (of whatever type) it would have been better if he'd somehow linked the artistic activities of the School and the Company by showing some of the historic photos, or a shot of the auditorium, or whatever.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alison said:

As episodes of this series go, it wasn't exactly one of the most scintillating, to put it mildly, but it was good to have a bit of a look in on the RBS.  I can't see them ever having got away with simply having a glass of champers without any further coverage of the venue and its function if it had been one of his European journeys, say to Vienna or somewhere.

Great British Railway Journeys is never scintillating, but I enjoy it 😂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This episode was on SBS in Australia tonight (seen by accident, never seen the show before) and I was trying to work out how to find out who that coach was! So I dove in to the forum's Search function. The girl's name sounded like Freya, and she didn't sound native-speaker English...?

The archivist obviously has so many fascinating stories to tell, pity that odd man in very red trousers didn't spend more on-camera time at the School!

Daria Klimentová was also seen, teaching a group of girls, but was not spoken to or interviewed on camera.

And I agree, the Liberty segment was fun, especially the photo of the lady cicerone in her "mediaeval" gown.