TooTu

Good Luck/Audition results 2018

2 hours ago, meadowblythe said:

I am unashamedly biased, but very happy to answer any PMs as a parent if anyone  has questions regarding RCS.  My son graduated in 2016..

Thank you for offering your insight into RCS. What is your DS doing now? Did he get performance opportunities with Scottish Ballet? There seem to be far fewer  boys in each class. How do they organise  pas de deux partnering ?  I could go on and on! 

A ‘yes’ for RCS for dd too. Very happy, but does rather complicate our existing dilemma ……...

• Like 10

My son got multiple offers in ballet and neo-classical companies on graduation - he's a ballet dancer in the Czechia  (he always wanted to go abroad),  and is now picking up demi-solo and solo roles.  He took class with Scottish Ballet but didn't go on tour.  There is no correlation between those touring and those getting employment, it's simply what they need at the time.

Pas de Deux - his year actually had a good balance, as does the new third year.  I think in other years they use boys from the year above/below.  

I know there's at least one current student on this website, who can probably tell you a more up to date answer to that question - but they do seem to turn out employable dancers.

• Like 5

Does anyone have any experience involving movement on RCS's waitlist and roughly how many dancers are generally on it?

I know at least one girl got a place from waiting list last year.

My dd also got offered a place at rcs but she is set on accepting her offer at Central so looks like at least one space will be freed up.

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

My son got multiple offers in ballet and neo-classical companies on graduation - he's a ballet dancer in the Czechia  (he always wanted to go abroad),  and is now picking up demi-solo and solo roles.  He took class with Scottish Ballet but didn't go on tour.  There is no correlation between those touring and those getting employment, it's simply what they need at the time.

Pas de Deux - his year actually had a good balance, as does the new third year.  I think in other years they use boys from the year above/below.  

I know there's at least one current student on this website, who can probably tell you a more up to date answer to that question - but they do seem to turn out employable dancers.

Thanks for that amazing info and well done to your son in his career so far x

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Sally45 said:

DD torn between Ballet West and RCS......opinions??! 

We're not at this stage yet but I read everything with interest as these are on our short lists. There's lots on here about the remote nature of Ballet West and I'm guessing that's a huge consideration.  Plus what about living accommodation?  Good luck.

Edited by hoglett
Pressed enter too soon!
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sally45 said:

Other  considerations:

Funding -  RCS qualifies for student loans and grants ie no fees to pay, and also many get generous bursaries.

General environment - you have the beauty and grandeur of Ballet West, RCS offers opportunity to live an work in a creative environment with actors, film makers, stage managers ...

Check the destination of graduates and number gaining contracts, especially those doing all their post 16 training at either establishment and opportunities to dance as part of a company.

• Like 3

Salliy45 - i know a few people in real life who have been unhappy with Ballet West but I’ve only heard good things about RCS. What was your gut instinct?

Balletdaughter - if by Ballet Theatre you mean the school of Ballet Theatre UK we are not allowed to discuss that school on the  forum for legal reasons. 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Sally45 said:

Hello Sally45 and welcome to the Forum!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Balletdaughter said:

Please can I have recommendations between Ballet Theatre and Tring Park for Ballet focus training sixth form?

We are not allowed to discuss BTUK school. In the absence of honest and open public discussion I would personally approach very cautiously.

• Like 3

Congratulations to all of you with lovely offers!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗

• Like 6

Replying to Balletdaughter .

we are not allowed to discuss BTUK on this forum , although I’ve had a pupil there .

My DS however went to Tring .

Taught expertly by Antony Dowson and Terry Wright - 

He won most promising dancer award at the Cecchetti competition in 6.3 and secured a contract in a ballet company upon graduation .

He has just been offered a second year .

I have also recommended Tring to one of my former pupils , she had several offers of upper schools but is tremendously happy at Tring .

Great choice of A levels too and a touring company in the third year .

Prestigious competitions entered in sixth form and the chance to assist with associate classes and summer courses to earn extra money .

Hope this is helpful 

• Like 8

Thank you.  How many A levels do most do?  I believe you have to miss the extra classes to do A levels.  My DD is worried about missing Pilates etc. 

Your DS sounds like he is doing extremely well x. Do they give a lot of support to look for jobs after?  

Sally 45, it's a strange world as I know a girl at Tring who wishes she had gone to ballet west. I suppose what suits one, etc etc.

• Like 1

You can do any amount of A levels

My DS did 2 , his friend did 3 and gained top grades - which gained him a university place to study medicine .

My old pupil isn’t doing any A levels so she gets to do more ballet classes .

• Like 1

On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 13:54, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Salliy45 - i know a few people in real life who have been unhappy with Ballet West

I would have to agree with this

Every school has dc that are both happy to be there and others that wished they had chosen otherwise.  True of every school and university the country over.  You have to try and work out the best fit for your own child, and cut out all the chatter from others that goes around about which is the best school for x or y. 

EVERY vocational school will have successful students getting jobs at the end of their training, others changing direction for varied reasons and others leaving half way through to go to a different school.  They can all train a talented child but that child will not succeed if they are in the wrong environment for them.  3 years is a long time in a teenagers life if they are unhappy.   The stress of full time training is very real, at a time when other kids are going off to university for another 3 years to find themselves and grow up.  DC have to grow up fast and have a very mature head on their shoulders to cope with the demands placed upon them. 

Choose the school that feels right and be prepared to change if that changes. 

• Like 30

22 hours ago, Ballet4ever said:

Does anyone know if admin at central is open during Easter? 

I believe the Admin staff will be working as normal in a view that tomorrow is their deadline to accept offers. 

We are awaiting Elmhurst young dancers results

Any one else waiting?

• Like 1

I've just seen Elmhurst are holding another audition date for years 7, 10 and sixth form!!  They don't normally do this do they?!  After all the pre-lims and finals, to then hold another audition.  I'm still waiting on DDs feedback from her y10 final, and it does surprise me that they haven't taken more from those who got through to finals if there is a space, rather than hold another date.  On one hand it's good they don't 'just take anyone' (meant in the nicest possible sense!), but it still surprises me considering there were a good number of strong dancers at finals who have gained RBS SA places and offered full time training at other schools.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Danceintherain said:

I've just seen Elmhurst are holding another audition date for years 7, 10 and sixth form!!  They don't normally do this do they?!  After all the pre-lims and finals, to then hold another audition.  I'm still waiting on DDs feedback from her y10 final, and it does surprise me that they haven't taken more from those who got through to finals if there is a space, rather than hold another date.  On one hand it's good they don't 'just take anyone' (meant in the nicest possible sense!), but it still surprises me considering there were a good number of strong dancers at finals who have gained RBS SA places and offered full time training at other schools.

I see they are particularly looking for 6.2 which will be my DD's year. Quite a few seem to have left that year group mid year. I don't know why.

• Like 2