Good Luck/Audition results 2018

TooTu

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Balletdaughter said:

I thought it was only scholarships offered for upper school.

please can I ask what % scholarships are available for upper school?  We are on waiting list 

My daughter was originally offered a scholarship but then an mds became available. I think the % of scholarship depends on your earnings. 

1 hour ago, Harwel said:

MDS are rarely offered to new pupils going into upper school at Tring, but does happen. Existing MDS students are often able to carry it into upper school, based on successful assessments. 

Hi, Sorry, as I'm not used to all this UK funding, what is MDS? Having a slow morning, brain hasn't totally engaged! 

8 minutes ago, balletbean said:

Hi, Sorry, as I'm not used to all this UK funding, what is MDS? Having a slow morning, brain hasn't totally engaged! 

the  funding  for  vocational   music  / dance education  for 11-16 and 16-19 level 3  ... 
DaDA  beign the dance and drama awards fundign for the  16 -19 level  6  qualifications - Trinity  diploma etc 

It’s a government funded scholarship - Music and Dance Scheme - for 4 vocational dance schools (RBS, Tring, Hammond and Elmhurst) also about 6 music schools I believe. It is funding from year 7 (11 to 12 years) up to 19.  All RBS funding (lower and upper school) is MDS. I believe Hammond and Elmhurst only use MDS for lower school then upper school is DaDa.  Tring will do a mixture as a best fit for child and school. MDS is usually more financially advantageous compared to DaDa as it includes accommodation with vocational fees. 

• Like 1

On 29/03/2018 at 22:43, balletbean said:

I feel for all of you awaiting the decision on funding for US. Whilst our system isn’t perfect (£ limits) the local authority offers funding for each pupil that have at least 2 x Level 3 or equivalent (A-level) examinations. My research recently revealed RAD Grade 6 and above are also level 3. Which confused the Dept completely as they automatically think 18yrs not 16yrs for Funding.  My claim to fame is I’ve now educated the Education Dept on their own criteria 😂

Each pupil then can select their choice of establishment for Higher Education. Incl those on the CDET list. 🤔 

🤞🏼 You all receive what you hope  and are waiting for. 

When you say the local authorities offer funding  and you can then select your establishment, does that mean funding other than the usual,  DADA / student loan? So for example would a child with those qualifications then be able to get funding other than dada for , let’s say for example, Elmhurst, or student loan for Central?  Is this because you aren’t eligible for these because of location? 

Sorry, I’m not sure I’ve explained myself well, probably being a little dense! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, along for the ride mum said:

When you say the local authorities offer funding  and you can then select your establishment, does that mean funding other than the usual,  DADA / student loan? So for example would a child with those qualifications then be able to get funding other than dada for , let’s say for example, Elmhurst, or student loan for Central?  Is this because you aren’t eligible for these because of location? 

Sorry, I’m not sure I’ve explained myself well, probably being a little dense! 

Hi. Don’t worry. Explained it well. I was the dense one not understanding MDS!!

Pupils aren’t eligible for a DaDa or Student Loan. The U.K. Government put paid to that! 😡.

On the bright side our Government do offer a Grant per pupil in depreciating value from a Household Income of less than £200,000 subject to certain criteria ie residency, exam qualification etc. Only for ‘Higher Education’ (HE) Those at the lower end of the Household income scale are entitled to the full Grant which is equal value to a Standard Uni fee. With maintenance grant of £7,500. There are also Bursaries to fill the shortfall between the Grant and the fees charged at Schools on the CDET and other establishments like the Conservatoires incl Music. 

There aren’t any loans just Grants. Only repayable if the pupil doesn’t graduate/complete the course. However, the Dept that run the scheme lack knowledge on their own HE eligibility! Frustrating to say the least but at least but  funding(grant) can be secured BEFORE an audition or interview. My heart goes out to those having nailed their auditions then having to wait........ 😕

Thanks for the explanation Balletbean. It’s great that you have been able to educate the education department 😂. The vaguerries of the upper school funding take some negotiating, don’t they! I’m pleased to hear that you have some funding available though as I felt for you some time ago when I read that your daughter wouldn’t be eligible for DADA. Well done for finding a way through the red tape! I think we’ll all need a holiday after all this! 

Edited by along for the ride mum
Typo
  • Like 4

21 hours ago, along for the ride mum said:

Thanks for the explanation Balletbean. It’s great that you have been able to educate the education department 😂. The vaguerries of the upper school funding take some negotiating, don’t they! I’m pleased to hear that you have some funding available though as I felt for you some time ago when I read that your daughter wouldn’t be eligible for DADA. Well done for finding a way through the red tape! I think we’ll all need a holiday after all this! 

Thank you. A stiff G & T helped! 😉

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, HollyLou said:

@TEE my dd will hopefully be starting September. We're waiting for the written confirmation of bursary offer so we can start looking for sponsers/grants. She would be starting yr 8.

That’s great so my dd won’t be the only new year 8

13 hours ago, TEE said:

Are there any new year 8 girls going to Hammond on this thread. My daughter is starting in September 

TEE - congratulations!  There's a thread called Living at the Hammond. Maybe post there?

• Like 1

On 15/02/2018 at 11:57, Ballet12345 said:

Hi Meadowblythe - she will be 16 in June but hasn’t done very much contemporary. I think would prefer ballet. I haven’t heard of Chantry. Will look into that thank you.

Hi - have you looked at Kings International Ballet Academy? It is a purposefully small academy of Ballet limiting numbers to 16 in each year so that each student receives individual attention - we are able to offer a levels/ academic qualifications as an optional extra plus a teaching diploma . We have a very different approach to the training of our Classical Dancers and follow the Russian method. We are currently auditioning  in Portugal but we do have dates left in Wales, Switzerland, Ireland, Malta and Birmingham . Have a look on our website and don’t hesitate to telephone . 

Edited by Kiba123
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kiba123 said:

Hi - have you looked at Kings International Ballet Academy? It is a purposefully small academy of Ballet limiting numbers to 16 in each year so that each student receives individual attention - we are able to offer a levels/ academic qualifications as an optional extra plus a teaching diploma . We have a very different approach to the training of our Classical Dancers and follow the Russian method. We are currently auditioning  in Portugal but we do have dates left in Wales, Switzerland, Ireland, Malta and Birmingham . Have a look on our website and don’t hesitate to telephone . 

Will look into that thank you,

23 hours ago, SuziQ said:

We're still waiting for RCS results too. I suppose with Bank Holiday it's only been 3 working  days. Hope it's soon as we need to reply to Central's offer asap

Just out of interest what is the deadline for all acceptance applications for central? Hope your dd hears soon from RCS

Edited by Ballet4ever
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ballet4ever said:

Just out of interest what is the deadline for all acceptance applications for central? Hope your dd hears soon from RCS

14 days so next Wednesday I think 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dancing unicorn said:

When Dd’s friend got in to RCS last year, results took 2 weeks!!!

That's the longest I've heard of! Most others have been within a few days. Surely they know people will potentially have offers elsewhere?! 

• Like 1

RCS was the smallest final we have been to - I think only 34 dancers there. How long can it take to consider such a small number?? I know of at least 6 of those 34 that have offers from Central or Rambert that need replies by the middle of next week - and the vast majority I don’t know about, so I would assume there are quite a few more than 6. So if RCS don’t get there offers out soon I suspect a large proportion of the offers they do make will have already had to accept another offer. 

Edited by BlueLou
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, BlueLou said:

RCS was the smallest final we have been to - I think only 34 dancers there. How long can it take to consider such a small number?? I know of at least 6 of those 34 that have offers from Central or Rambert that need replies by the middle of next week - and the vast majority I don’t know about, so I would assume there are quite a few more than 6. So if RCS don’t get there offers out soon I suspect a large proportion of the offers they do make will have already had to accept another offer. 

I totally agree BlueLou. They are a relatively new course, less well known but had an excellent Final/open day that has really swayed us. You would have thought they would be working harder than the other schools to get the  best students and increase their reputation. 

• Like 3

I think the problem is not the dance staff but the central admin - the results need to be put on CUKAS (or whatever it's called this year) and that's not done by the ballet staff but the central organisation.  Also remember a lot of the students get *very* significant scholarships, which again are centrally administered, and certainly need to be organised as part of a larger scheme (I know these are offered across all disciplines).

Please stick with them, it is a fantastic school. 

• Like 3