Ballet Schools in Hove

hfbrew

I have a very talented boy moving to Hove.

Obviously we have already researched schools but I would be keen to receive any recommendations for a good, pro active school that will encourage a young boy currently working at RAD grade 2 level.

I don't know of any schools in Hove however, if his parents would be willing to travel to Worthing (20 minutes by car) then I can recommend the Jean Butterworth School of Dance. My DS went there from the age of 6, did his grades etc. If you want any further information then please PM me.

I will ask around to find out if there any any schools in Hove that do RAD training/exams.

We live in Hove Hbrew and my dd grew up training at the Rox School of Dance. They offer training in RAD ballet & ISTD modern, tap & jazz. Also contemporary, drama & singing. The school has 4 very modem studios right adjacent to Hove station. My dd always got distinctions in all her exams, went on to be an associate at ENBS followed by an SA at Royal & is now training at Tring Park. She also has had loads of professional stage experience, including two years in the West End's Billy Elliott. Other students from Rox have also performed in the West End. They also participate in two local Festivals. However, my dd left approx 2 years ago so.am a bit out of touch now with the school. Jean Butterworth in Worthing also very good, as well as Glendale Theatre Arts in Worthing, but depends on where your students strengths lie & whether they also want the travelling. There is also A2 Arts in Hove worth considering.

DD attends Hampton Ballet Academy during holidays when she is back from vocational school

There is also Legat at Bedes but not sure if they still do an associate class

Edited by porthesia

Judy Breen (Hampton Ballet Academy) is astonishingly good and a completely inspiring and motivating teacher. DS would never have embarked upon his vocational journey without her teaching and support. Many many of her ex students are professional dancers. DS still comes to take class with her when he is home. My younger DS and my DD dance with her- DD transferred from another local school because she said she was so fed up with seeing her fellow students making errors and not being corrected-and she has adores Judy's class even though she has no desire to dance professionally.

Very happy to be emailed directly

:)

Yes I can recommend Judy Breen too. She teaches in the Dance studio at Patcham High School on Ladies Mile Road Brighton but also in other places for some of her students. This is Russian Vaganova style.

The school is the Hampton Academy of Dance if you are looking on the Internet.

There is also Brighton Ballet School run by Sonya Hutchinson.....currently on maternity leave but they follow the BBO syllabus. Her classes run from ACT directly opposite Tesco in Hove or at the Brighton and Hove sixth form college just off the main Shoreham Road technically still in Brighton.

There is an RAD teacher called Victoria something ......and am not sure where she teaches the younger ones.

Ive heard of a good school in Worthing too but not sure if its the Jean Butterworth one .....probably.

If I think of anything else will come back.......I know there are other dance schools in Brighton but I didn't take much notice at the time I was looking because they ONLY did children and I was looking for adult classes.

• Like 1

Yes, I too can thoroughly recommend Judy Breen (Hampton Ballet Academy). My dd trained with her after having left Rox. She is absolutely superb. Only offers training in classical ballet though, no other genres, so depends on the child and what he wants to train in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i live in the Tunbridge area, does any one recommend any good dance schools around here or even in to maidstone . ?

Hello stillatit, as this thread is about schools in Hove, you will very probably get more answers to your question if you start a new thread. :-)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, you could try contacting Victoria Arnett at Brighton and Hove Dance Academy in Hove - this school has RAD ballet for all ages. Also Sheila Cross who is an examiner, also runs BBO classes and is based on Old Shoreham Road at The Portslade School of dancing. Also I do highly recommend Judy Breen at Hampton Ballet Academy, Vaganova Style - hope this helps :D

www.brightonandhovedanceacademy.co.uk

www.portsladeschoolofdancing.wordpress.com/

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 1