Do you go to the Stage Door?

13 minutes ago, Dawnstar said:

By that logic I, and I imagine most of the audience, would never get to speak to any of the dancers. I can't afford to pay for any of the memberships that give additional access to dancers. The stage door is the only place I can ever speak to them & there has to be a first time for speaking to each dancer. Even the ones I've spoken to before I don't expect them to remember me, given the hundreds of people they must speak to.

In which case, that's fine as the dancers are always welcoming and pleasant. 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oncnp said:

No use whatsoever to me: I went to ENO the other night from home - 1 mile walk, 40 minutes on the train.  It was a mad panic when I realised it started at 7 pm not 7.30 (and I wasn't the only one).  And the London Symphony Orchestra seems to be starting all its concerts at 7 pm now - so I'm not going, because trying to get to the Barbican by then is just too difficult from where I am.  Forget about pre-performance dining - even tonight, when I had carefully planned to eat out, I forgot to unplug my phone, and missed my train, so bang went those plans.

On 17/10/2023 at 09:40, capybara said:

From various reports about last night, some supporters now think that the ‘Stage Door’ extends beyond the ends of Floral Street.

Their enthusiasm is great but there are boundaries and ‘following’ is disrespectful to the artists concerned who have a right to walk away and proceed quietly on their journeys home.

Blimey that’s creepy - I’d not like strangers following me one bit - even if I was a ballet star. Agree 100%.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

The Friday Manon with Kaneko / Muntagirov might provide a new experience for me - an overseas-based balletomane friend will will be flying in and has asked if I would guide her to, and join her at, the stage door after the performance.

Not having done this before in my 10 years of RB attending (always being perfectly happy to wander off into the night with fine memories and an earworm or two), would anyone have a rough idea of how long we might have to wait post-performance? The etiquette I would hope we would get right, but I don't think she is envisioning more than a hearty handshake and a few uplifting words about the performance. 

1 hour ago, MildConcern said:

The Friday Manon with Kaneko / Muntagirov might provide a new experience for me - an overseas-based balletomane friend will will be flying in and has asked if I would guide her to, and join her at, the stage door after the performance.

Not having done this before in my 10 years of RB attending (always being perfectly happy to wander off into the night with fine memories and an earworm or two), would anyone have a rough idea of how long we might have to wait post-performance? The etiquette I would hope we would get right, but I don't think she is envisioning more than a hearty handshake and a few uplifting words about the performance. 

It depends on how many people gather at the stage door.  After Marianela's performance with Vadim, the entire Floral Street was filled with fans.  If there is a large number of people, a small autograph session is organized, when the dancers sit inside at a table and the doormen let only 5 fans in at a time.  On average, the wait at the stage door is about 1 hour.

• Like 2

Time to wait depends on a lot of things including guests they might have to meet backstage, how much costume (wigs etc.) they might have to remove. I would say expect to wait half an hour at least but as I say, it can be a bit unpredictable.

Vadim is always very good about making time for everyone and a polite request to sign something/take a selfie is always fine. That said, the dancers are tired and do need to get home so usually best to exchange a few words and keep it fairly brief!

• Like 1

Spent many many happy hours in the 80s and 90s at the stage door - met some great chums there too! I think the artists appreciate people who just want to share their love for the ballet and how much they have enjoyed the show. Especially a debut … I have recently caught up with an old friend and we went to the SD after Manon, to congratulate the leads and it was great fun, and well received. I would say - keep it brief! But people on this forum are experienced ballet goers with many years and shows to share. I was watching Manon before most of these dancers were born! So we can speak with an element of knowledge about their art..

Edited by Suffolkgal
Clarity
  • Like 4

I try and avoid the crowd at Covent Garden Station after a performance by nipping over to the Coach and Horses for a glass of Guinness...by the time I walk back down Floral Street the dancers are usually starting to leave, so if it's opportune and not too busy, I will thank them for their performance. It's a win-win really, as by that time the crowds have died down, and I can make a hasty getaway on the Picc! So in answer to your question, a minimum of 30 minutes.

Edited by Balletbloke
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Balletbloke said:

I try and avoid the crowd at Covent Garden Station after a performance by nipping over to the Coach and Horses for a glass of Guinness...

What a good idea!!

• Like 3

Hello everyone. I have never stage doored before but am considering doing it after Alexander Campbell's penultimate performance on 2 March. I'm wondering if anyone here has been to stage doored a retiring principal before, and how hectic it is. And I'm also wondering if anyone knows how long Alexander Campbell usually takes to come out, if he seems pleased to do it, etc. I wouldn't want to do it if he didn't seem to appreciate it! Thank you.  

• Like 1

As far as I know, if performers don't want to meet the public there are other exits they can use. Those who leave via the stage door are usually prepared and pleased to spend some time with their fans. Expect to wait up to an hour or so though!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lady emily said:

Hello everyone. I have never stage doored before but am considering doing it after Alexander Campbell's penultimate performance on 2 March. I'm wondering if anyone here has been to stage doored a retiring principal before, and how hectic it is. And I'm also wondering if anyone knows how long Alexander Campbell usually takes to come out, if he seems pleased to do it, etc. I wouldn't want to do it if he didn't seem to appreciate it! Thank you.  

Alexander Campbell is very popular and has a reputation for being friendly, considerate and appreciative to audience members and fans who ask for an autograph or photo, or a brief chat at the Stage Door. I have a feeling the queues to say thank you, extend best wishes and ask him tons of questions about whether he's going to keep dancing/make any public appearances/etc will be extremely long on the 2nd and 8th! He might also take longer than usual on the 8th as there may be tons of company staff or other folk backstage who want to say goodbye too. Wear comfortable shoes and wrap up warm!  🙂 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Suffolkgal said:

I did wonder about posting pics from SD here but guessing it’s a private space so not advised/acceptable etc …?

I think if you have permission from everyone who is in the pictures (crop out all members of the public who are in the shot perhaps)  it should be fine; we've had some Stage Door/reception photos of the dancers here before. 

5 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Alexander Campbell is very popular and has a reputation for being friendly, considerate and appreciative to audience members and fans who ask for an autograph or photo, or a brief chat at the Stage Door. I have a feeling the queues to say thank you, extend best wishes and ask him tons of questions about whether he's going to keep dancing/make any public appearances/etc will be extremely long on the 2nd and 8th! Wear comfortable shoes and wrap up warm!  🙂 

Thanks so much for the information! Yes, I expect it will be a long night!

• Like 1

Alex is always very friendly and appreciative and I'll miss his stage door appearances almost as much as his wonderful performances. I'm hoping we may see him there occasionally when Claire starts dancing again, though of course he'll probably be babysitting!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lady emily said:

Hello everyone. I have never stage doored before but am considering doing it after Alexander Campbell's penultimate performance on 2 March. I'm wondering if anyone here has been to stage doored a retiring principal before, and how hectic it is.  

What happens at the Stage Door after a show varies from performance to performance anyway but, when one throws a retirement into the mix, the timing is anyone's guess.

What we can be sure of, however, is that, although Alex will no longer be detained by corrections from his coach (!) there will be a lot happening on stage - nice things like other Principals coming on to say "cheerio"; an appreciation from KOH; then, once the curtain is closed, a load of greeting guests and photos.

Obviously, the more people there are outside to wish Alex well the better it will be....... but it could get a bit hectic and I expect that the Stage Door staff will need to be 'crowd-managing' in some way.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, capybara said:

What happens at the Stage Door after a show varies from performance to performance anyway but, when one throws a retirement into the mix, the timing is anyone's guess.

What we can be sure of, however, is that, although Alex will no longer be detained by corrections from his coach (!) there will be a lot happening on stage - nice things like other Principals coming on to say "cheerio"; an appreciation from KOH; then, once the curtain is closed, a load of greeting guests and photos.

Obviously, the more people there are outside to wish Alex well the better it will be....... but it could get a bit hectic and I expect that the Stage Door staff will need to be 'crowd-managing' in some way.

Thanks Capybara. Do you think it will be as hectic as that in the second to last show as well?

Alex as Lescaut was at the stage door fairly quickly, perhaps a 30 minutes wait, and that may give a bit of a guide for 2nd March. I can well see it may be a fair bit longer on 8th March.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lady emily said:

Thanks Capybara. Do you think it will be as hectic as that in the second to last show as well?

I think on his second last show it will be slightly quicker than on 8 March as it's not his absolute last show so a lot of people won't be delaying him as "we'll see you on Friday anyway" but I would expect it to take longer than his 30min as Lescaut as there will still be a lot of people wanting to say "oh I heard the news!!" and want a chat....you only need one or two longwinded folk backstage/onstage after curtain down and a brief chat becomes 10 minutes more!

So  still get yourself into a comfortable place to wait (perhaps near some friendly fans) and comfortable shoes etc. NB in the past I've also known some dancers to pop out early to see the fans and sign autographs/pose for photos so as "not to keep the fans waiting too long" (=so that the crowd will leave sooner and the security and backstage staff can go home!) and pop back in to chat with friends or colleagues who will take longer. That can be just a short appearance and they don't necessarily come back out through that exit again, so it's best not to hide in a pub/cafe assuming that it will definitely be a long wait, because it might not be. I think the crowds on 2nd will still be bigger than usual though. 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 2