RAD grade 5

LovetoDance2003

Looking for opinions on whether you think it would be possible to complete RAD grade 5 in 6 months? My dd takes 1 x 1hrly class per week as well as a fortnightly half hour private class 1-1 to catch out on what she has missed

She has basically taken her grade 4 in November but then 'jumped' into another class who have been studying grade 5 for almost a year.

They are to take their exam in July and not sure if she'd be ready

Sorry, my above response didn't work. Just to clarify, it's 1 x 1hr per week grade 5 and 1 x 30mins fortnightly (1-1 private) she likes to do well-high merit would be her aim. She was 2 marks off a distinction for grade 4

The teacher said to wait and see, too early yet to say but knows my dd is quick to pick things up. Chances are she'all be doing her IF around the same time so not sure if it'll all be too much

Edited by LovetoDance2003

My dd is only grade 1 so i know it is not the same but she took primary exam last July and her teacher said ahe was ready for gade 1 exam in the November as she picks things up quickly but we decided to wait and she is now taking it in March. My dd uses the RAD Syllabus APP which she enjoys and helps her practise at home. I would aim to do it and possibly have a few extra private lessons nearer to the exam if needed.

The RAD give guidelines for recommended hours of study and for G5 it is Guided Learning Hours 75 and Practice Hours 20 giving notional learning hours of 95.  This is very much an average but it will give you some idea.  The suggestion from Princessballerina is a good one - I tried to download the App without success so may try again myself.  I understand that the DVDs are also good.  I agree that it is good to have something to be aiming for and as you don't need to commit to doing the exam for a few months I would just see how it goes.  Good luck to her.

That's an interesting point re recommended hours for each grade Newdancermum. I just wondered whether DCs end up being 'exam ready' quicker if they are doing lots of other non-syllabus classes such as Associates, so probably doing the required hours of ballet but not in that particular grade? Also, if the choice exists, is it better to do more than one class in a grade to build up the hours for that grade or take 1 class in the actual grade and one in the next grade up to experience more challenging technique? Hope that makes sense! I know that there has already been quite a lot of conversation on here on the benefits of studying a grade up as well as actual grade to build up available hours for ballet.

• Like 2

I would say possible but maybe not probable on the number of classes your DD is doing. Your teacher will know if she will be ready in time. If not it may be possible for her to move to the next grade with her current class and  take the grade  exam in the next session. It sounds like you are at a school that enters students into exams at regular intervals. My DD took grade 3 in March, 4 in May and 5 in October of the same year but this was before the syllabus changed (which may make a difference?) and she was doing 2 x 45 mins of a grade plus 30 mins 1-1 each week. She started grade 5 a month or so after starting grade 4 and so did both each week. This was on the teachers assessment of being ready to take each exam

• Like 1

My dd did a couple of grades like that, so yes, it could be possible. The other option would be to move up to the next grade with the others once they've taken the exam, and carry on in grade 5 as well as 6 until she is ready to take it. Or... skip that exam altogether. The teacher will know what's best, and whether she will be ready.

• Like 2

In response to a number of points above.  I am sure doing additional dance hours at the grade above or associates or holiday intensives will impact on overall ability but getting a good mark for the actual graded exam will depend on the actual work on the syllabus for the grade either with the teacher in class/1:1 or independently at home.  That said our DCs will all work in their own way and a motivated dancer will pull out the stops to achieve the dream so anything is possible.

• Like 2

Maybe it depends how keen she is to stay with this particular group.

She can either "have a go" with them but with the view that she may not get the best of marks this time round .....but will hopefully at least pass

Or if the teacher is okay about it she could carry on with the grade 5 and take a few months later .....but at the same time move on into grade 6 with this group so she doesn't miss out there.

If she is really keen to get high marks then the latter course may be best if however ....on this occasion ....she isn't so bothered but just as long as she passes then the former is probably the path.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So dd dance teacher thinks we should just go for the exam in 10 weeks. She says 'we'll get her there' maybe with a few extra privates. DD apparently looked horrified when she told her last night but is really keen this morning to give it a go!

Got the RAD grade 5 app so will keep you posted! ????????

• Like 1

Many thanks for this. Yes, will just see how the next few months go. Thanks for the info re recommended hours and for the RAD app. Will check that out!

Princessballerina good luck to your dd for her grade 1 in March

Just double check the cut off dates for exam entries at the dance school, my DD's entry forms are currently being completed for June/July exams

Edited to add: All lower RAD lower grades on average work out on about 1yr training at regular ballet schools,

Grade 6 and above can be about 2yrs similar with the 'Major' exams but some can take longer, depending on how they adapt to Pointe work. Not everyone transitions well, some take longer. Taking the extra time can be worth it. For the sake of a few months could be the difference between a Merit and a Distinction.  Best advice is ask the teacher. 

Edited by balletbean

Ps Instead of editing my lost post again. 

Just for a point of reference for later on, depending on where your DD wants to take her dancing ie Career choice. 

Application forms for Vocational Schools and MT colleges ask for Grades ie Pass, Merit, Distinction. They don't ask for the mark within the Grade. Sadly it is then hard to distinguish between one point inside a merit or one point away from a Distinction on the form that counts.  

Possibly worth considering when making any exam decisions. Good Luck. 

• Like 1

Application forms for Vocational Schools and MT colleges ask for Grades ie Pass, Merit, Distinction. They don't ask for the mark within the Grade. Sadly it is then hard to distinguish between one point inside a merit or one point away from a Distinction on the form that counts.  

Possibly worth considering when making any exam decisions. Good Luck. 

Some do ask for the actual mark, as far as I can remember. I've always put the mark as well, or you could put 'high merit' or similar. They will also be interested to know whether a distinction is a 75 or a 95!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

So exam was yesterday and she felt it went well and she felt she was as good as the others who've been doing the grade twice as long. She just said she made a silly mistake in the character dance! Don't think it'll be a distinction (she's never got one in ballet) but hoping for the usual high merit. She has her Lamda acting exam two weeks on Saturday so now to focus on that!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...