Prix de Lausanne 2016

allegro11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

314 is the only Swiss Candidate this year I believe. I think she is lovely, she competed last year as well. But it does mean she is eligible for the Swiss prize so it will be nice if she gets a final and gets that.

Is she eligible? She has been at the Vaganova for the last year so I don't know if she qualifies as Swiss trained although she trained in Switzerland previously (I think?)

It's not the training that qualifies you but your nationality. Thats how Miko Fogarty qualified for the Swiss prize despite being trained and living in the USA. The nationality stated in the Prix lists should be your nationality of birth, not your training location.

This is from the competition rules in answer to Mimi66 re: jury members

"The competition jury's decisions on the selection and the finals in Lausanne, as well as the distribution of prizes, are final and irrevocable. If a jury member is associated with a school or has worked closely with a candidate, he/she does not have the right to vote for candidates coming from his/her school or the candidates with whom they have worked."

There is another jury member who has been working with four of the candidates.

It's not the training that qualifies you but your nationality. Thats how Miko Fogarty qualified for the Swiss prize despite being trained and living in the USA. The nationality stated in the Prix lists should be your nationality of birth, not your training location.

Miko was not eligible for the prize last year when the rules stated that the prize would be awarded to the "Best Swiss trained candidate." In previous years it was for "Best Swiss candidate" as you said.

This year the wording has been changed again and now reads:

Prize for the best Swiss candidate
Awarded to the best Swiss finalist or resident that has been training in Switzerland for at least
three years before the competition.

It is not clear to me whether this means the finalist must have been training in Switzerland for the last three years even if they're Swiss or if the three years requirement only applies to those resident but not of Swiss nationality. Certainly last year it was clear that the finalist must be Swiss trained.

This is from the competition rules in answer to Mimi66 re: jury members

"The competition jury's decisions on the selection and the finals in Lausanne, as well as the distribution of prizes, are final and irrevocable. If a jury member is associated with a school or has worked closely with a candidate, he/she does not have the right to vote for candidates coming from his/her school or the candidates with whom they have worked."

There is another jury member who has been working with four of the candidates.

I still think it could be a conflict of interest! I'm sure the jury members are more professional than that but they will obviously see who are the main competition to the candidates they worked with and could potentially judge them more harshly.

Also, I was under the impression (from previous years) that the jury members each give candidates a mark out of 10 in each of a number of different areas, then the marks are added together or averaged. Obviously this could be done with a different number of jury members evaluating each candidate but I don't think it would be entirely fair. Surely they could have found enough jury members who were not associated with any of the candidates!

Is there anywhere you can see a published list of the candidates names and their numbers!!

I'm trying to follow a few candidates from Oz but difficult if don't know their numbers I've found one Grace Robson who seems very good

So far this year the girls seem much better than the boys but need to,see the boys doing classical.

Anyone know the number or name of the UK boy selected and is he being trained in the UK.

I saw on the Prix website that there is a list of names, nationalities and training centres. Trouble is no number! The boy from Uk is called Thomas Bedrock and trains at Central.

• Like 2

The Genee gold medallist and audience award winner is Leroy Mokgatle. He is number 206.

I thought he was outstanding in the classical variation. So joyful! The first boy who did the Les Sylphides variation was also excellent, I hope both of them will make the final.

​I was very impressed with the girls' classical variations too. Such a high standard this year and lovely to see such a variety of solos!

I agree with Lin, the girls are stronger than the boys this year. Let's see if that's reflected in the prizes! Seniors still to come though and aside from a couple of standouts I've been more impressed with the boys from what I've seen so far, but looking forward to seeing the performances!

For those who will be watching previous days' Livestreams tonight . List of candidates with nationality, training institution and ...and the number!

http://www.prixdelausanne.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/DP_20160128_EN_1.pdf

Finalists has been announced... not this time around for both UK candidates, but they have done a great job.

I should expect the South African candidate to do well at the final... He is still under 17, would be wonderful for him to have a chance to train in one of the best ballet schools in the world.

• Like 1

8 of the 20 finalists are from the junior girls' category reflecting the very high standard in that group.

Leroy Mokgatle was definitely a stand out, I'll be amazed if he doesn't get a prize! I loved Dingkai Bai too. I didn't think the judges would go for him but I'm glad he's in the final.

Happy to see Laura Fernandez made the final despite 2 mistakes in her classical variation, she was so good in the practices we saw.

Where is there film of this candidate doing a classical variation? No 206? Is this from today's livestreaming....which haven't caught up with yet

Certainly didn't see him in Thursday's which have just seen. I caught some glimpses of him in the first contemporary piece( which I didn't like much to be honest) but haven't seen any classical yet.

Also it's much better to see the boys in the class centre work as they showed the girls on Wednesday .....showing the beginning of the barre when just warming up is no way to judge dance quality!! Very frustrating!

• Like 1

Also it's much better to see the boys in the class centre work as they showed the girls on Wednesday .....showing the beginning of the barre when just warming up is no way to judge dance quality!! Very frustrating!

Completely agree! Feel we saw very little of the boys doing anything interesting. Perhaps because the boys were not as strong as the girls? Finals this afternoon though, and I'll be able to watch it live.

The girls were very lovely, some of the boys struggled I thought!  I thought the standard was higher last year.

I still wonder why the UK don't shine in this competition, is it the clash of GCSE and A levels? I don't believe all our best are already at ENBS and RBS! 

I really wish they showed more classes and coaching... We had more chance to see them before when they did the video blogs.

I just love Patrick Armand's class and coaching and this is the main reason for me to watch videos of Prix.

Cynthia Harvey's coaching was very nice as well.  

One thing that these class/coaching reminds me of is how important the basic technique of ballet is, even at this level.  The more accomplished the teacher/coach is, the more attention they pay to the basics. 

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 1

I think it might be pas de chat.

Very few schools would allow their students the time off at this time of year - though I do know Of a couple of private schools who allowed a level candidates time off for performances during December/Jan.

Year 11 children would have to apply through the local authority I imagine & very few would allow it unless they were home educated/tutored.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think it's much more common for ballet students from abroad to do their academics online/via correspondence course than it is in the UK due to the structure of their education system.

I think it might be pas de chat.

Very few schools would allow their students the time off at this time of year - though I do know Of a couple of private schools who allowed a level candidates time off for performances during December/Jan.

Year 11 children would have to apply through the local authority I imagine & very few would allow it unless they were home educated/tutored.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I think it's much more common for ballet students from abroad to do their academics online/via correspondence course than it is in the UK due to the structure of their education system.

As to the home or correspondence secondary education, Australia or the States, perhaps.  Not at all the case in Japan.  I don't know about other countries, though...

Also notice that this year many candidates are already at European ballet  vocational schools.  

Edited by mimi66

Getting rid of AS levels will help...... Although I guess those on the Diploma/degree courses have more freedom? Or maybe not.

If our 6th formers are not able to participate for academic reasons maybe the courses should be adjusted to allow for such competitions? In dancing terms participation would be extremely valuable I would think..... Being observed by ADS is surely what it's all about?

I do think that competitions can be really helpful in getting a job. Three of the ballet finalists in the Young Dancer of the Year competition last year, including a girl who was not at one of the well known vocational schools, got jobs with Northern Ballet. Of course, it can't be known whether they would have got those jobs anyway but having the opportunity to be seen by David Nixon outside a standard audition with dozens of applicants must have given them an advantage.