Contemporary at festivals

annaliesey

We had a dance at a festival today in the 12 years and under contemporary duet category and it was danced to Chandelier by Sia with a 12 year old girl and a 9 year old. They were the only entry in their category.

The adjudicator remarked that the younger girl was far too young to be dancing a contemporary style.

Would you agree that contemporary is a more mature style for older dancers only?

At vocational school children don't usually start contemporary until roughly 14 plus sometimes much later.  I think they like a good sound understanding of ballet and modern before they move on to other styles.  My opinion of contemporary is that it similar to pointe shoes you just have to wait and do your time.  

All England have contemporary for D and E and senior Contemporary duets, trios etc - possibly also Inters, can't remember. The top contemporary Dance Schools, Northern and London Contemporary Dance School do. Not accept under 18's except in very very rare cases. The dancers need life experience and maturity in their dancing. It is a technique that draws on other experiences and lasts a lifetime. You do need to be able to put emotional experiences into your dance which a younger dancers is unlikely to have. Contemporary as we understand it is not the contemporary you often see on Dance Moms so don't be misled!! Contemporary also has many different techniques - compare Matthew Bourne to Mark Morris to Richard Alston to Martha Graham to Merce Cunningham to Henri Ogwike! And enjoy!!

• Like 3

I have known girls enter contemporary sections at festivals without having had a single lesson. They had watched clips on youtube , made it up as they went along and then thought they were experts on contemporary dance without studying any of the many techniques ! I found some of these performances very strange.

DD studied contemporary when she joined her CAT scheme at 12, but it was alongside ballet classes and there were many sessions in class before any of it was put into their showcase. Not at all like the work I have seen at festivals. I do agree that contemporary performances are more for the older students with strong technique and training behind them, DD is building as much on her contemporary dance as her ballet now that she is at vocational school.

• Like 5

Thank you all :) I tend to agree but as katymac says they start at 10 with CAT or can do so I was a bit confused and also there is the 12 and under category and the ages of the performers are submitted beforehand. Maybe it's just not to be encouraged too early.

I was also looking at a syllabus and this gives minimum ages for exams from age 9 http://www.cdancea.com/examinations_7.html

Good afternoon all. My DS is doing his first contemporary solo in a few weeks, any ideas what he should wear? X

My DD's teacher feels the costume should be quite plain and not distract too much from the dance, it depends on the feeling of the dance and whether it has a title or theme but I would have thought a unitard or leotard and shorts. If it is a bit more informal then I have seen boys wearing singlet vests and shorts or jazz style pants, which is very effective. Colour wise black seems most popular but I think it gets a bit tedious when they are all in black, perhaps grey, white or another muted colour, again it depends on the "theme" of the dance and his age.

If you watch the Sergei Polunin video where he is doing a contemporary style ballet to "Take me to church" then he is just wearing his tattoos and some flesh coloured tights, but perhaps that is going a bit too far, nice to watch though!

You could perhaps look at some images of the more modern ballets or the Prix de Lausanne/YAGP contemporary sections to get some ideas. 

Good luck

Edited by Sandsfoot
  • Like 2