Help me decide what to see in New York

I am planning a possible trip to New York - if I had the money I would go twice but I can't really justify it but who knows, so assuming I can only go once....I have 2 choices as follows:-

1. NYCB All Balanchine Walpurgisnacht/Sonatine/LaValse/Symphony in C

ABT classics - Les Sylphides/Pillar of Fire/Fancy Free

NYCB La Sylphide/Bournonville Divertissements

ABT classics - Les Sylphides/Jardin aux Lilas/Rodeo

OR

2. ABT _ La Bayadere Osipova/Hallberg/Boylston

ABT - La Bayadere Smirnova/Chudin/Seo

NYCB - Midsummer Night's Dream (Balanchine)

Any help appreciated - it is all stuff I will like!

Thank you!

Edited by Don Q Fan

Number 1 as there are several ballets that we don't see (often) in the UK, especially if you saw La B and/or Midsummer done by the Russians in London last year and the year before. La B will probably be back at the RB in a couple of years time. If this is soon and you are keen to see Smirnova then I would check that she is fit as she has been injured.

• Like 1

As I absolutely loathed Balanchine's Midsummer Night's Dream when I saw it in Edinburgh some years ago, I would go for your option 1!  Also as your option 1 seems to be all mixed programmes I would think there is more of general interest (but that is just me).

• Like 1

Have you been to NYC before? If it's a one-off I'd always go for a mixed bill over a full-length and the chance to see a wider variety of principal and soloist dancers, especially as you can see Bayadere and Osipova over here. Plus those particular mixed bills look terrific!

Edited by Sunrise
  • Like 1

Thank you Toursenlair, Aileen, Janet, Alison, Sunrise for your input.  I have been to NY before, but I had not realised the Bayadere is the same as ROH, plus I saw it last spring in NY.  I think that No1 looks like the best bet - I agree it offers a great range of ballets and dancers to see in one go, albeit none of the guest stars (can't have my cake and eat it!).  Good point Aileen I had not realised Smirnova has been injured.  She was a no show at the 21st Century Etoiles in Paris as well so I would hate to book and then she didn't turn up.  I would have loved to join Toursenlair (great looking programme and extras!) but the dates are not good for me as I need to go a few days earlier :-(

Ok that gives me something to work on!  Thank you all!

If I was a rich man I would be in NYC on Tuesday, June 9 Paloma Herrera will give her farewell performance as Princess Aurora in Alexei Ratmansky’s The Sleeping Beauty.  and if I was an even richer man  I would stay till June 20 when Julie Kent will dance her final performance with ABT as  Juliet in Romeo and Juliet. If I win the lottery I will be there.

• Like 2

If it was me I'd be programme No. 1 all the way.  You will get a much broader selection of both ABT and NYCB principals - and other dancers - with those programmes listed - and certainly much greater variety in the choreography.  As much as I love Ashton - and I do - I much prefer Balanchine's La Valse to his ... so much more dramatic in keeping with the music .... whereas I prefer Ashton's Dream to Balanchine's in terms of the story telling/character development.  That said Balanchine's second act PDD is truly glorious in that.  So many choices .. but it would definitely be Option One for me.  Maybe you'll get Sara Mearns or Tyler Peck in La Sylphide.  I'd imagine that would be devoutely to be wished .... Let's pray that put that - with the wonderful Bournonville Diverts a la the one and only Stanley Williams - in the Paris programme.  Would that you could have both Rodeos - the De Mille AND the new Peck which has just had fine reviews - even with the sudden injury of one of the two principal dancers taken into consideration.  How I would LOVE to see it.  All I can say is - YOU ARE ONE LUCKY LADY, DonQFan. 

• Like 1

Thank you lakeylakes, Bruce and Sim. No1 has won hands down I believe! I would love to see the farewells especially as Roberto Bolle partners Herrera! And Julie Kent I have a soft spot for as I met her stage door in Berlin in 2014 she's so nice! Sadly the farewells are later in the run...can't do it all.

I totally agree that No1 will give greater variety and chance to see many dancers. It's a no brainer, I was letting star dancers cloud my judgement but No1 let's me see dancers not usually in Europe too.Thanks again so much.

• Like 3

Walpurgisnacht Ballet is fab. A beautiful Balanchine ballet in his more classical vein (in Juliet style dresses rather than tutus) and becomes more thrilling as the music (from Gounod's Faust) becomes more dramatic. If you get to see Sara Mearns in the lead role, she is to die for.

I remember the first time I saw it, I had seen it listed on the program, thought "never heard of that, wonder if it's any good" and was almost squealing with delight by the time it ended. "I want to see it AGAIN!!!!" I said to the person I was with. And have seen it twice since and am hoping to see it in May.

• Like 1

Here's an interesting and fairly recently posted performance of Symphony in C.  Says early 1970s, which means good camera work as well as great dancing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wIQyNW1zOc

Quite a few more interesting videos uploaded by that user too....

Thanks SO for this.  It is WONDERFUL .. So glorious to see the first movement with all the detail for the female principal so carefully etched which sadly was not the case when the RB last did it ... and the devilish fourth movement so clearly completed.  THANKS VERY MUCH INDEED.