london christmas lights

southerndancemum

Can anyone recommend certain areas to see decent Christmas lights etc?

Wan to to take DD up in a couple of weeks for the day / eve and don't know where's best - she's not into shopping for clothes so only really thinking of convent garden for a hot Choc and street entertainment, and probably hamleys

would love any other ideas :-)

I like to get on a bus at Oxford street, sit on the top deck on the right hand side of the bus and then enjoy the lights and then get off at Marble Arch. Best time is when it gets dark at about 4pm onwards.

Walk along outside Selfridges and look at their windows.

Go and look at Fortnum and Mason's window display.

Trafalgar Square to see the Christmas tree.

• Like 2

Thought about some more Christmas things to see in London.

http://www.visitlondon.com/tag/christmas-markets

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/40165958-southbank-centre-christmas-market

http://www.visitlondon.com/things-to-do/event/40307288-southbank-centres-winter-festival

(I wasn't impresesed with Hyde Park Winter Wonderland as had just been to Vienna and seen some of the markets there and then this London one was a big disappointment)

The lights on Bond Street are usually a good display.

If you want to see some ice skating, then I think the one at Somerset House (at the Aldwych, close to Covent Garden) is the one in the most attractive setting IMO.  Lovely at night, with the tree lit up. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you are going to the ROH then have a wander round the piazza. There's a big fake topiary reindeer and lots of huge baubles suspended from the ceiling of the arcade.

Sloane Square and Duke of York Square are tastefully decorated for Christmas and you can pay a visit to my spiritual home, Peter Jones, which has a penguin themed window display for Christmas. There's a big Zara in DoY Square, plus Jack Wills, Jigsaw and Cath Kidson at this end of the King's Road.

Sloane Square and Duke of York Square are tastefully decorated for Christmas and you can pay a visit to my spiritual home, Peter Jones, which has a penguin themed window display for Christmas.

I think all the John Lewis branches must be having the penguin theme this year.  The window displays in Oxford Street made me smile.   One of them showed  2 baby penguins who have knocked over the laundry basket, and have ended up with lots of lingerie dangling from their beaks and wings.

Edited by Fonty
  • Like 3

Not sure when you are coming up to London, but I went down Bond Street yesterday, and can confirm the lights are lovely. 

Also, if you are thinking of going to Trafalger Square, they don't put the tree up until 4th December, when they have a lighting ceremony.  After that, there are Christmas carols being sung every day. 

• Like 1

Ive got a couple of the Lego Father Christmas and reindeer but I don't know how to post them to the balletcoforum site .....usually personal piccies don't seem to work.

I did put one on Facebook but again not sure how to get from there to here!!

Was it last year or the year before when Eros was turned into a giant "glass snowball" sort of effect.

It looked very good.

Last time I passed it a few weeks back it had scaffolding around it so not sure what doing this year.

Oooh, I am so glad to see this thread as I was thinking about this exact same thing this afternoon. We are coming down to London on Weds for my DD's advanced 1 exam on Thurs so we have Weds late afternoon/ evening to kill, as well as Thursday morning. We are staying at a hotel near Waterloo Station. Unfortunately, as anyone who has read my recent thread on the Doing Dance forum will know, DD is nursing an ankle injury and is barely fit for the exam really, so I don't want to do a great deal of walking - and sadly the ice skating is a definite no-no! I don't know London well at all, so if anyone could suggest a bus route that will take in some of the Christmassy sites that won't involve us walking too far from the hotel I would really appreciate it. We are real country bumpkins and whilst I love our beautiful scenery I'm quite excited about seeing London at Christmas as despite my advanced years I've never been down at this time of year before!

What about a trip on the river?

You can access boat taxi service ......as opposed to a special boat trip from the Festival Hall this goes from Tate Modern to Tate Britain but you can pick it up in various places.....I think the Festival Hall would be nearest to Waterloo.

If you did take an official trip then of course you will get some commentary which may be helpful if stranger to London.

I know some trips start across the river from Festival Hall from the Embankment.

Covent Garden has plenty to offer and will be very lively!!!

That 139 bus route looks useful to know about I was going to suggest a couple of others but I think that one just about covers it all!

Have a great couple of days anyway ......what time is the exam on Thursday?

You can walk across Waterloo bridge to the Aldwych, have a peep at the skaters at Somerset House, and then stroll up into Covent Garden. 

I did think about taking the river boat, but I am not sure if you will have enough time to make it worthwhile.  The Thames Clipper is a hop on hop off circuit that covers quite a wide area.  The blue route starts at the London Eye at Waterloo, London Bridge, the Tower of London, and down as far as Greenwich.  It is fantastic if you have the whole day (and night), to take advantage of it, and I always take London visitors on it if they have the time. 

http://www.thamesclippers.com/route-time-table