Summer schools 2015

macnatt

Hi all

I know this may seem like a long way off but I would like some advice on good Northern hemisphere summer schools. Does anyone have any experiences that were great, or summer school programmes they can recommend. I am totally unfamiliar with what is available in the Northern hemisphere but am looking for vocational programmes that provide opportunities to meet interesting people, consolidate skills and hopefully have some kind of performance opportunity. My DD is already in a good post 16 vocational school so we are not really looking to find out more about schools, but programmes that might be connected with companies or programmes that have a diverse range of professional faculty are what we are looking for.

Macnatt

• Like 1

Here's just a couple of existing threads for you to have a look at.  I am sure other members will be able to chip in with their thoughts.  There are lots more summer schools in the UK than the threads I have picked out below.  The Prague master classes curated by Daria Klimentova seem very popular (but I couldn't find the thread) as does the one held at BTUK.

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6990-yorkshire-assembly/?hl=%2Bsummer+%2Bschools#entry96900

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/7172-opes-v-yorkshire-assembly/?hl=%2Bsummer+%2Bschools

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6304-elmhurst-senior-summer-school-2014/?hl=%2Bsummer+%2Bschools#entry84555

http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6810-summer-school-west-yorkshire/?hl=%2Bsummer+%2Bschools

Dutch National Ballet have a 2 week summer school which doesn't clash with Prague (so you could do both if your finances allowed!) and it's worth knowing that although they don't mention anything about scholarships on their website or during the application process (which isn't onerous- just some forms and photos) they do offer scholarships (DS was offered a 100% scholarship out of the blue). The advantage is that Het National has a highly respected Youth Company so always good to get known by them- competition is fierce to get in to the Youth company (I think they get several thousand applications, review about 200 and have places for about 12). Youth company tour independantly of the main company, but also take part in main company performances when they need extra dancers.

I can't tell you what the summer school is like as DS already had competing scholarship offers from other major SIs and had to make the decision on one of those before Dutch National responded (they were pretty relaxed!) so he had already said yes to somewhere else.... But I do know Het National is top of his current wish list for a professional contract...

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

From our personal experience I would recommend Natalia Kremen Ballet Summer Intensive Course. My DD has enjoyed her time at the summer school to the maximum and has gained a lot from the experience. The teachers were truly passionate and enthusiastic. My DD will be returning in 2015. 

• Like 1

Yes I'd like similar info on this summer school.

Also was there a summer school in Harpenden.....I think that was the name.....if so what was the age range/standard required to attend.

Also where is the OPES summer school based? Thanks a lot for any info

Yes I'd like similar info on this summer school.

Also was there a summer school in Harpenden.....I think that was the name.....if so what was the age range/standard required to attend.

Also where is the OPES summer school based? Thanks a lot for any info

DD attended Opes for the first time this year.  It is usually in August at a place called Ranby in Nottinghamshire and is residential.  DD said children come from all over the place some from abroad, some local ballet schools like her, some vocational schools so it was a good opportunity to meet new friends and experience children of varying standards.  DD was in Intermediate 1 and had about 17 in her class.  She did Rep/Pilates/Ballet Technique and Contemporary every day.  Performance at the end of the week was amazing and we all felt she had progressed so much in just four days.  I appreciated not all courses sort everyone but DD is going for two weeks in 2015 and I started saving the moment we left Nottingham!  Hope this helps!  :)

• Like 3

Apologies, and correction for the previous post about NATALIA KREMEN BALLET SCHOOL SUMMER INTENSIVE 2015  -

The dates will be 20th - 25th July 2015 (not 20th - 26th as stated before).

Last summer there were two age groups, 11 - 13 years old and 14 - 16 years old (http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/6896-summer-intensive-ballet-courses-in-london/). For more information contact info@nkballetschool.com or phone +44 (0) 2079931102

Edited by Tykva

Thanks for the info

My friend in Oz is hoping to come over with her DD who will be 15 by the summer(how can this be already!!)

Last time she did the Yorkshire ballet school one which she loved and the ENB one.

But am just collecting info on possible ones for this summer.

Cost will be important.

By then she will be studying for RAD Advanced 2 as her Advanced one exam is coming up very shortly!

• Like 1

Hi FlexyNexy

Do you know what age is the Natalia Kremen Ballet Summer Intensive Course is suitable for and Grade?

Hi Dancing2003

I am sure it is suitable from 11 (my DD was 11 when she did the course). We did various summer courses before, but you can not even compare them with what she has learned during the week with NKBSummer Intensive. It has opened my eyes a lot. For me most of them are just "moneymaking" scheme for me.

• Like 1

For my daughter she has got a lot from attending Prague Master Classes, Royal Ballet SS was also excellent and when she was younger she got a lot from Yorkshire Ballet Seminars. These three summer schools are well known for offering high standard teaching, where student travel from abroad.

Quick question as I see Elmhurst SS dates and applications are on the website. In the photos does DD wear tights and shoes or bare legs and feet? Obviously I know she needs tights/shoes for the pointe ones but it doesn't actually specify?

Also how selective is it? Does my non-voc DD have any chance of a place? or is it mainly voc dancers that get in?

turned into a few quick questions :rolleyes:

"Also how selective is it? Does my non-voc DD have any chance of a place? "

It is a mix of vocational and non vocational. Some of the Elm pupils do it plus pupils from other schools but then my dd met others who didn't have aspirations of a dance career just enjoyed dancing.

• Like 1

Quick question as I see Elmhurst SS dates and applications are on the website. In the photos does DD wear tights and shoes or bare legs and feet? Obviously I know she needs tights/shoes for the pointe ones but it doesn't actually specify?

Also how selective is it? Does my non-voc DD have any chance of a place? or is it mainly voc dancers that get in?

turned into a few quick questions :rolleyes:

My non vocational DS has been for the past 2 years and I would say that there is only about 3 or 4 elmhurst students in each year group. A few from Tring and Hammond but mostly non vocational ! No RBS ! Good luck x

Edited by cotes du rhone !

Just wondered what you experienced teacher's and parents thought about getting some European experience at a summer school next year. Would there be any benefit ?. DD who is 14 and at voc. school would like to try one. I was thinking of mixing it in with a holiday. Possibly Italy.

Thoughts and advice would be greatfully received. :)

Hi All,

Apologies as I'm a little late to this thread.

Just wanted to mention that we are running a Summer Intensive throughout August 2015 (4 week programme) at AEDA.

The course will feature an international faculty, master classes, guest tutors and special individual coaching sessions.

Students may choose to attend between 1 - 4 weeks, accommodation is available and a weekend programme of social events too.

Applications are open now, students from 9 years+.

If you would like more information please do let me know. There is a link to the AEDA Web Site in my signature.

Warm regards,

Carmen

• Like 1