Yorkshire Assembly

Worktolive

In your children are interested in ballet then look at the Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship centres four day summer school based at Queen Margaret school, Escrick Park. York from Mon 4th Aug to Thurs 7th Aug. They offer ballet, contemporary and jazz for children from 9 years to 18 years. The list of teachers this year are amazing! :)

Hi shygirlsmum

My dds friend is going to ,it sounds fantastic, I only wish my dd could go but she is already doing another summer school that week ,I thought it would of been nice to go with her friend ,and with the pool and other activities that,s on ,as well as fantastic teachers,

Your dd and friend are very lucky

Thank you, yes it does look like a wonderful opportunity for them. The serious side of dance is new to me and my dd but she can't get enough at the moment so when she asked if she could go i was surprised. As my login name suggests dd has always been very shy and reserved but her friend is a real live wire and giving my dd so much confidence.

• Like 3

Dear shygirlsmum

I am sure your dd will love Yorkshire Assembly. It is very friendly and as well as having excellent tuition they also have fun and make lots of new friends. One of the activities they have in the evening is swimming in the swimming pool which is in the grounds of the school. The food is amazing as well.

• Like 1

My DD has been for the last 3 years and absolutely loves the summer school.  The staff are fantastic, including the house mothers who look after the children in the evenings.  It's a beautiful location to dance in and my DD has made fabulous friends.  We are not going this year as it clashes with a summer school she is going in London.  I am going to miss the wonderful performance.  Enjoy ladies!

• Like 2

Anyone that's got previous experience of this - how intense is this ie how many classes / how long etc dd wants to do this, but has things booked in weeks prior to this summer school so wanted an idea of what's involved

We're also not going this year due to work commitments but my daughter has done this for the past 4 years. She has absolutely loved it! The teaching is fantastic, all staff are friendly and approachable and the setting is stunning. It gave my daughter a real insight into what it would be like to do full-time training, but in a fun and safe environment. Her technique improved hugely. The children dance all day but have the evenings free and activities are provided. Everyone is very well cared for.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear everyone

There are still a few places available on the residential summer school at Yorkshire Assembly which takes place at a wonderful girls boarding school called Queen Margarets in Escrick York for any children 9years - 18years who loves ballet and would like to dance for four whole days being taught by amazing teachers who are all ex-dancers themselves.My DD has been many times and is now at vocational school in London but is going again this year. The closing date was 20th June but they are taking late entries up to the end of June. Check out the website www.yorkshireballetscholarshipcentre.com

Dear Miracle

The cost is £395 boarding for the four days or £220 as a day student for the four days or £60 per day. Yes boys can definitely attend as we have some boys from Elmhurst attending and we have Stephen Williams from Central school of ballet teaching. 

• 1 month later...

Shygirlsmum I wonder who your dd was. I have just got back from YBA and I have to say all the girls worked really hard and did an absolutely fantastic job of the final performance (or at least the dress rehearsal I saw!). I felt very privileged to be there and witness a huge amount of top quality teaching and learning packed into just four days. Well done everybody :)

• Like 1

My DD was in the junior group, i would usually identify her as the red head but there were two in the group. DD was the tallest one.

i would agree it was a lovely demonstration, a really friendly nurturing environment with some beautiful dancers.

DD has chattered away about all the friends she has made and she is already making plans for next year, she has offered to contribute her birthday money towards the cost

i have a very happy little girl.

• Like 4

My DD was in the junior section and had a fab time at the summer school. She said the teachers and housemothers were all lovely and really helpful. She hasn't stopped chatting about the friends she met. She is also planning on going back next year. Performance was lovely and nice to see a variety of dance styles.

• Like 1

Oh I'm so glad to hear it :) I know who you mean now shygirlsmum - your dd was on my corridor! Sorry about the lost shoe - we did do our best to find it! And now I know some of you are on here I can keep up with how the girls are getting on. A big well done to them for working so hard and it was a real pleasure to see them enjoying themselves.

• Like 1

I know this is a long shot ! between DD and her friend they lost

Black capezio leotard

Pudsy bear street dance t-shirt

One Bloch pro-arch ballet shoe, size 2 1/2

Navy blue BBO leotard size 2 (it is named)

I have a BBO leotard with the name Alexa in

If anyone comes across and extras I am happy to pay postage for the returns.

Thanks xx

My DD was in the junior section and had a fab time at the summer school. She said the teachers and housemothers were all lovely and really helpful. She hasn't stopped chatting about the friends she met. She is also planning on going back next year. Performance was lovely and nice to see a variety of dance styles.

Hello Ballethfgirl and welcome to the forum. I do hope we will hear more from you.

t_rose I know which two you mean, and one of the juniors is from that school too. I'll have to be careful what I say now haha!

shygirlsmum I was house mothering, so not directly involved in organising but will pass on your thanks to Miss Sharon :)

edited to add, actually t_rose, the two girls could be from either of the schools I dance at as there were two from each in Inters A and one from each in juniors. But I can guess which it probably is.

Edited by FullContretemps
  • Like 1