Ballet Central - Spring Tour 2014

Watched performance in Tonbridge last night.

Carousel was brilliant and very entertaining.

Some of the other pieces were a bit unexciting but overall worth the drive to see the stunning dancers.

Edited by Spax
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was at opening night in Tonbridge a couple of weeks ago. Really enjoyed the programme. Lots of very strong classical dancers in this year group so overall slightly more classical pieces than in the last few years which I know will please many. Highlights for me were Chris Marney's 'Carousel' and the jazz piece which looked so much fun.

• Like 1

It was a fabulous evening watching these very talented youngsters. They were very strong technically and the choreography was brilliant, especially the carrasol piece, which was my favourite. They are touring around the country and I would suggest that if your child was wanting to audition, take the to see the graduate show and you will see the standard of training that these students have had.

• Like 2

Here is my review of the Lowry on Wednesday 2nd April:

I first saw a Ballet Central production two years ago at the Lowry and I was delighted to see that this year the theatre had a much bigger audience than two years ago. There must be nothing worse than dancing to just a few rows of people for young dancers about to graudaute after three years hard work at Central Ballet School let alone their previous years of training.

The show opened with Continuum, choreogrpahed by Andrew McNicol, who is currenty doing his MA in Choreography at Central. It was a splendid opening using a large cast of Ladies and Men. I am traditionalist (I do love a tutu!) and though this was a contemporary piece (or was it neoclassical, maybe someone can help here?) I really enjoyed it. There was a confidence, competance and communication with the audience which came across. Costumes were simple and effective.Rendezvous was a dark and emotional piece choreographed by Sara Mathews in memory of her Grandfathers who served in World Wat I. John O'Gara performed this dance, which had no music for the most part,  in complete isloation other than a poerty narration by Sir Derek Jacoby. He gave a corageous, poigniant and fabulous performance. The first act concluded with The Corn Pas de Deux and Friends from Coppelia Act 1. For me it was delightful to see something traditonal. Saki Katoka and Peter Allen were lovely in the as de deux. The friends were animated with a wonderful perfomace quality. Its at the beginning of their season and I am sure this will continue to grow as they move through their numerous performances.

Act II opened with Five Lullabies, choreographed by Christopher Gable and staged by Carol Gable. Enchanting, light hearted in parts but also with depth and emotion, (its about growing up) it was performed very competantly and was a joy to watch. Toots goes to Charleston choreographed by Leanne King was a classic 1920's fun romp with fabulous charleston steps and gorgeous flapper girl costumes. Performances were wonderful and I really enjoyed this dance. Meraki closed Act II another Contempoaray/neoclassical (?) dance with very effective black and white costumes. According to the choreographer, Daniel de Andrade who created this dance for the graduates, Meraki is a greek word meaning (doing something with soul) and these students certainly did. The lighting during the opening minutes was too dark for me and it was difficult to see the dancers, but it was an exciting dance.

Carousel dances was Act III. Fabulous circus girls costumes,  amazing use of poles facilitating  trapeeeze style tricks and dancing as well as very inventive carousel pony poles demonstrating the strength and skill of the young men, not only lifting the ladies, but the carousel poles as well!  Faboulous performace, lovely pointe work and such creative choreography by Christopher Marney (Matthew Bourne's New Adventures). Carousel is one of my families favourite musicals, the dance by Amelia Jackson and John O'Gara culminating in and orchestral version of "if I loved you' was sublime. These two young people danced amazingly, communicated with each other beatifully and passionately, and sold their story effortlessly to the audience. I loved Carousel!

Do go and see this graduate show, you wont be disappointed.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I really enjoyed watching Ballet Central at the Linbury Studio Theatre .

My favourite pieces were 'Toots Goes To Charleston' which was fun.

'Carousel Dances' which was very clever and colourful.

All in all a pleasant evenings entertainment!!!

Edited by Spax

I've merged a couple of threads about the Ballet Central Spring Tour and edited the heading for clarity.

I really wanted to see this programme but unfortunately I couldn't make any of the dates for the locations I can get to.  It's usually a terrific night out and I would highly recommend people to go!

• Like 1

Just got back from seeing Ballet Central in Newbury. I'll write a few more words tomorrow, but for now let's just go with something succinct, like... oh, I don't know... "Wow." :D

Edited by BristolBillyBob
  • Like 4

In Newbury last night (where they are an established highlight of the Spring Festival - oh yes, we have one!) they seemed somehow more confident than they were at the Linbury .... Some splendid dancers amongst whom Hugo Brown and Sati Kataoka stood out for their maturity and the smoothness of their moves and Jack Roxby-Brown for his Pennefatheresque dignity and ability to seem quite definitely princely. We'd love to give them another viewing on this tour, but the dates don't permit. Certainly I'd recommend a trip to see them if they are anywhere near you .....

• Like 6