Vocational school & festivals

Dancing2003

Hi

I just wondered my dd is off to the Hammond in Sept does anyone know if she would still be allowed to dance at the festivals if she wanted to, and other Easter/Summer schools. I know some of the children take part in NYB during the summer hols any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks :)

We simply wrote a letter describing what DS wished to do to the principal of DS school and stating that the competition / festival would be in the school holidays as would the rehearsals and asked permission to take part .

Permission was granted with pleasure and good wishes !

• Like 1

Easter & Summer Schools arnt usually a problem although you have to ask permission.

Dancers are expected to be in school until 12.15 on Saturday mornings so unless a festival co-included with an exeat weekend I don't think they'd be possible. I've not heard of anyone doing them.

The school emphasise the importance of rest & students arnt allowed leave to take part in performances etc in term time.

• Like 3

Thanks for your feedback Billyelliott and picturesinthefirelight :) All the festivals that we take part in are during school hols and we wouldn't probably do them all, she's qualified a couple already for next year semis and really enjoys taking part, I think I will write and ask for permission. X

Edited by Dancing2003

You will need to ask permission to do Easter and Summer schools also for festivals, though there are very few festivals which allow vocational students to participate. If your DC is about to embark on the vocational route their will be little opportunity to rehearse for festivals as they dance at Hammond Monday to Friday and Saturday mornings till lunch time. Rest days are very important to the health of vocational students. If your DC is at vocational school why would you want to participate in festivals with non vocational students?

• Like 4

You will need to ask permission to do Easter and Summer schools also for festivals, though there are very few festivals which allow vocational students to participate. If your DC is about to embark on the vocational route their will be little opportunity to rehearse for festivals as they dance at Hammond Monday to Friday and Saturday mornings till lunch time. Rest days are very important to the health of vocational students. If your DC is at vocational school why would you want to participate in festivals with non vocational students?

The first year at vocational school is a transition and often the ballet class is "back to basics" which us no bad thing , but some DC's miss the festivals and comps and enjoy the chance to do a solo or two , especially if it's already tried and tested!

Some festivals do allow vocational students as long as they do not derive an income from dancing !

If it's in holiday time it's a way to keep in touch with old friends ????

Edited by Billyelliott
  • Like 1

Sorry Nana Lily, I didn't read your post before I made my comment.

It is hard to still practise solos when time at home is precious. It's all about a healthy balance. I don't know many competitors who are in full time training who still compete.

• Like 1

It is a very heavy schedule with lessons nitvending til 6pm each night, then homework. Will your dd be boarding?

I know my dd just wants to spend her sat afternoons & Sundays relaxing & catching up on homework. If you live close I guess Sunday festival lessons at a local dance school is viable but I really wouldn't reccomended it.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 2

My mum had some ex-pupils who went to Hammond a few years ago they were allowed to do a local comp and both went all the way through to RBS senior associates after they had joined the school ( they were already JAs when they joined). It was a few years ago though.

Hi Dancing2003

They usually grant permission for things as long as it doesn't involve missing school although I imagine there will be exceptions to this rule

The first term at Hammond my elder dd entered the vocal section of our local festival , I felt that although our local festival allows Vocational students I wasn't comfortable with her dancing but as she had only entered the vocal once before she went away ,that this would be ok.

She won the Vocal Cup. This went down like a lead balloon with the other Mothers and one actually reported her for being a professional .

Edited to say posting at the same time Dancing 2003

Edited by HAIRBELLES

She was fine Thankyou a long time ago now but little did we realise how good she would become at singing. In yr9 she decided her passion was Musical Theatre and has just done amazingly well in her first singing assessments at college .

Like you said take the lead from your daughter and how she feels . It's hard to imagine what life will be like once your dd is away and how she and you as a family ,will want to spend precious time together .

• Like 1

For DS it was a part of the " this is the last time I will ......." Process when he did his last festival and realised it was the first and last time he could be a part of "All England " -(as "Miracle" points out vocational students are not allowed in that competition ) He was very sad not to have those opportunities for public performace .

So imagine his delight when he was invited to take part in his local festival ! The other mums and dads as well as the dancers and organisers were so happy to see him again and he was limited to one new contemporary dance which made a welcome change from ballet .

We have found that his boundless energy needs channeling in the holidays and that he is not able to stay away from the dance studios where his friends are ! That may change with time but I think it's lovy that he is loyal to his band of supporters from the local dance world !

Just see how things go .....some children can pick up a new routine in a flash ! As long as it's fun - go for it !

Hi, just checking something....my DD has already qualified 4 of her solos for All England Regional Finals next May and I specifically checked the rules to make sure that as long as she gets permission from school when she starts in September she would still be able to see this 2014/15 competition through.  

My understanding is that as long as you don't derive income and are a student you can enter...but Miracle and BillyElliot suggest that this might not be the case?  Can anyone shed any more light on this for me as we are under the impression that DD can?

Their rules state:

RULES OF THE COMPETITION 

1. This competition is for amateurs and students who do not derive the main part of their income 
from the teaching or performance of dance. Entries arising from novice, County or other 
Championship classes are not eligible. 

We've still got at least one more Festival before she starts vocational school in September so it would be a shame if she can't finish it up. x
  • Like 1

Most of our local festivals don't allow students in full-time training. And to be completely honest, on the rare occasion when a full-time student appears at a festival it's pretty much frowned upon. I suppose, and I'm not saying this is right or wrong, people feel it's not fair competition for the others.

• Like 1

I guess it must vary from region to region because I know in the Midlands we do see vocational students quite often along with JAs, MAs and SAs - in fact I've watched an up and coming young lady from a well known vocational school perform a couple of absolutely beautiful solos these last couple of weeks and not get placed...which kind of flummoxed me if I'm honest because her performances were beautiful but obviously not the adjudicator's cup of tea...

I think, especially in this transition period our DCs have no real advantage over the other dancers, as they aren't actually at Vocational school yet anyway...and as BillyElliot said in her earlier post (post 11) my DD is already seeing the rest of this AE Comp as a way of keeping in touch with her dancing friends once September comes around...and isn't it coming round quickly!  I can't believe how fast the weeks are disappearing :)

• Like 2

Both my dds do festivals and I don't actually know if any vocational students compete. I wouldn't have a problem with it if they did though - there are some beautiful dancers competing that aren't at vocational school and surely that's the standard our dcs are striving for?

• Like 2

It might be worth checking the regional guidelines too. As my dd qualified a lot of dances to regional finals but was told that she could not do regional finals as she would by the may be in full time training.x

There are several things to consider:

1. First will the vocational school allow the student to take part

2. Does the festival allow vocational student to take part

3. If 1 and 2 are ok, can you fit in additional lessons without compromising your DC's rest time and wellbeing

4. If your child has just started at vocational school and as 'Billyelliot' shared they are in a transition year where all are take back to basics while muscle memory and other learned habits are bring ironed out do you want to jeopardise the professional/vocational training in formative years?

Your choice..............

• Like 3