Vocational school & festivals

Dancing2003

Is that because she's gone into 6th form training as know of full time students who have been in the finals who have gone through, qualifying festivals and regionals even though they'd been in full time for a couple of years. 

My dd gave up festivals as she respected this what the school guidelines said, she gained her place in a full time school and for her that was a bigger prize than she could win at a festival.

We didn't even consider going to regionals last time even though she'd qualified before going into full time education.

I must admit I miss seeing her dancing solos. but for us it was going away full time or staying home and continuing with festivals.

I must be naive as I thought your dance school is the one your attending so if your at vocational school, how can you dance for another school surely you left that school to attend your vocational school and I've a feeling you are supposed to be a pupil of the school under whom you're entering the festival.

Just a thought Proudmum what if all White Lodge, Elmhurst, Hammond & Tring pupils entered the festivals then how would you feel?

Edited by Oldermum
  • Like 2

My eldest dd has danced with children who have gone to the four schools that oldermum mentioned and of course their talent shone through. To be honest I wasn't thinking of large groups of vocational students entering, just the odd few that have perhaps previously entered a particular festival and wanted to return when they were home. If it were large groups then yes, this could be seen as unfair.

• Like 3

I have just contacted The All England Dance and they have said Vocational Students are allowed to compete at festivals, there maybe some festivals that won't allow vocational students to compete and it states that on their rules but so far I've only found one in our festival circuit, we certainly won't be doing all of the festivals it would be nice to finish this year if possible with the permission from The Hammond and DD's current dance school.

• Like 3

I agree Dancing 2003, I don't envisage my DD continuing as a regular "festival" competitor but we both want her to complete this AE competition round as she enjoys it so much and does know that this will be the last one she'll do.  

Which region are you in Dancing2003 - maybe our paths will cross? :)

• Like 1

When I was dancing in festivals - many moons ago - I can only remember a vocational student competing in the festival held in the holidays once. She was very good but she was not head and shoulders above the best of the others and she wasn't placed in every section she entered. Now I know some festivals define "amateur" as "not earning a living from dance or in full time vocational training" If they don't then I can't see any reason why not, and especially not if you haven't actually started full time training. 

Quite often the children that went onto WL (and I am talking a long time ago) had not been that successful in festivals. They had the potential but not always the most developed technique and performance quality.  

For dc that aren't planning a classical ballet career, a lot choose to stay on at local schools until 16/18 as they would miss the performance opportunities that festivals/shows etc. offer them, and for musical theatre/cruises etc performance is equally important.

• Like 2

Surely DC at vocational schools will struggle to do festivals when they go to the school - especially if they board - as their vocational school will not choreograph dances for festivals.

Would they choreograph their own dance? Or go along on Sundays for private lessons with a dance teacher to learn/perfect the dances?

Either way, it seems unlikely that many, if any, would want to do this. They could keep doing their old dances for a while but they would soon outgrow them.

Yes but certainly by E a few students choreograph at least 1 or 2 of dances, maybe with tweaks by teachers. And lots of times the winner is someone who "improvised" their solo having forgotten the original :) Can be a problem when adjudicator wants to see the performance again in a gala/bursary ;) 

And lots of times the winner is someone who "improvised" their solo having forgotten the original :) Can be a problem when adjudicator wants to see the performance again in a gala/bursary ;)

My dd won a talent competition on holiday once, we didn't know in advance that there would be a contest, so she made the whole thing up on the spot. Then she went and won, and had to perform the dance again at the end!!

Er... :D

• Like 5

I once entered a lyrical, was meant to do own choreo, never got round to it, so improvised whole thing apart from beginning bit I'd set, and won! Thankfully wasnt required to dance it again 

• Like 3

He he, I did that once. Was so relieved "only" to win silver so I didnt have to repeat an admittedly good improvisation.

Basically the dance was called "how I do my homework" and the only choreographed bit was the throwing away of my maths book at the beginning....

• Like 3