Funny dancing stories to brighten your day

Sort of dance related I guess thought it might put a smile on some peoples faces, me and my dance teacher certainly had a laugh haha! I had just finished my private lesson with my teacher and went to leave through the door(obviously) and found I couldn't open it. Tried a few more times and so did my teacher and neither of us could open it. This sent us into fits of giggles that we were now locked in the studio! Plan A was to go out of the fire door and me attempt to climb over the fence to get to the door from the outside and try and get in that way. If none of you have tried climbing a fence in ballet shoes and a leotard in the pitch black is very difficult! After many attempts from both me and dance teacher our only plan failed and we had to phone her dad to come and take the door off! Sod's law he lives half an hour away so an hour later we finally got out of the studio! Needless to say it will be an event that will definitely go down in dance school history! Sorry for the massively random post but just thought I would share!:)

Goodness!! Had somebody locked you in or did the door just get stuck?

The handle got stuck and stopped working like wouldn't move haha! It was hysterical we just couldn't stop laughing!

Glad there were two of you!! And thank goodness for mobile phones!!

Sometimes as a teacher I would be working very late at school and nearly got locked in for the night a couple of times!! I often used to wonder what I would have done if it had happened for real......especially when the classroom was at the back of the school......nobody to attract!! In London in the 70's and 80's there were no mobile phones either!!

• Like 2

Alls well that ends well.  

Let's make it more than a "random post".....there are often funny (and strange) incidents in ballet class......

There was a very busy ballet studio here that had large windows facing out onto a major street.  On one side of the building housing the studio was a supermarket and a short distance away was a fire station with several fire engines and a good size crew of firefighters.  They were often at the supermarket - parking their truck at the curb outside our ballet studio.  This was a professional and pre-professional level class and was held daily - Monday to Friday at 10 am.   As the firefighters walked past they would glance toward the large windows as we took our daily class and once in a while lingered to watch us.

One Saturday morning as the tiny tots were taking their class, in walked the entire contingent of firefighters in full regalia led by the fire chief.  They all crowded into the lounge where the parents were sitting and announced that they had come to conduct a surprise fire inspection.  The ballet teacher of course invited them into the studio.

The firefighters, bristling with equipment, entered the studio and found themselves facing approximately 15 tiny tots - all girls - in little pink tutus with little round tummies and large eyes.  A few burst out crying in fright.

Sheepishly, the fire chief looked at them and then asked the teacher:  "Where are the big girls?"

Obviously they didn't think to check the class schedule.  Our class on Saturday was in the afternoon.

Edited by Anjuli_Bai
  • Like 14

yes i think this should a be a threat where people can post funny ballet stories aswell good idea!!

my story is about the time when i was about 8 and it was summer term, midway through the class a huge fly starts buzzing around the room, distacting all the little girls and boys and as me and my friend innocently try to continue to carry on with the adage, it buzzes around my head and straight down the front of my leotard!! needless to say i started flapping and screaming (i was only 8) and i remember my teacher rushing me into the side room and stripping my leotard off as quickly as she could(we were good family friends it wasnt a complete strainger taking my leotard off!)

seems i have bad luck with flys because at a summer school watch class last year one landed on my bun and stayed there for all of the port de bras! i got a special round of applause afterwards for carrying on the whole way through!

When my mum was a professional dancer she was in sleeping beauty in a theatre where the principal male dancer had a dressing room upstairs from the stage and a lift to get down. One day they were all"sleeping" waiting for the prince to come when a whisper went round the "sleeping" inhabitants of the castle that the prince was stuck in the lift! You can imagine the difficulty trying to look like you were sleeping whilst having hysterics!

• Like 5

Littleballerina I actually have tears running down my face at your story!! LOL:)

haha happy i could brighten your day!!

Trying not to laugh on stage reminds me of the time when we were about to perform a piece called "Spring Romance" at Harlow Theatre. There had just been a terrific thunderstorm with very heavy rain and as we took our places waiting for the tape to start.......water started dripping onto the centre of the stage at quite a rate......an April drip if not a shower.....But it was really difficult to finish this dance trying to suppress the urge to giggle and we daren't catch each other's eye in case one of us broke.

Needless to say once it was over we all collapsed into fits.

I can't remember now how the drip was eventually dealt with as we were not the last dance on that day.

• Like 1

When I was 13 or 14 we had to perform a short dance sequence in “The Tales of Hoffmann” at the opera house.

We had to wait during the whole second act, crouching under a raised floor from which we had to emerge through individual trap doors. The doors were locked by a latch we had to push then swing open the flap to come out.

Needless to say that at my first performance I was unable to open the d***d thing and had to sit there while the quartet was reduced to a trio and the stage manager was going bananas in the wings.

Well done to the firemen! This is also firefighter related.

In Palmerston North New Zealand at the Maureen Ax ballet school end of year concert, the fire alarm went off and the whole theatre had to be evacuated. The Regent theatre is a beautiful old 1000 seat theatre. So the fireries did there inspection and discovered it was all the hairspray being used in the dressing room that was being used set the alarm off. So the audience was reseated the girls told no more hairspray and the show went on.

• Like 2

We had a super cute tiny tot of about 3 or 4 years old take part in the ballet schools show at the local theatre. She was concentrating hard on her dancing and it was only as they did their final 'skip' round to go off stage that she spotted her parents in the audience. At this point she stopped abruptly and shouted 'look at me mummy' and started waving. All the others left the stage and she was still waving as the music started for the next dance and a senior had to improvise and dance her off the stage. So sweet.

Edited by 2dancersmum
  • Like 3

Loving all these stories. I remember a funny incident at the end of our local dance school show when the dance principal was saying thank you to the audience. A little three year old had just come off stage, and realising the show had ended she stripped off her costume in the wings and ran onto the stage stark naked to hand her tutu back to her teacher! I ran on behind her and whisked her off again but not before the audience fell about laughing! So funny and sweet.

• Like 5

Loving all these stories. I remember a funny incident at the end of our local dance school show when the dance principal was saying thank you to the audience. A little three year old had just come off stage, and realising the show had ended she stripped off her costume in the wings and ran onto the stage stark naked to hand her tutu back to her teacher! I ran on behind her and whisked her off again but not before the audience fell about laughing! So funny and sweet.

This has brought back fond memories for me as a mum, thank you!

The memory? My ds first performance on a tiny hall stage for the elderly users of it.

After the show he disappeared. Frantic moments followed while we searched. Cue sounds of laughter and applause, yep , ds dressed just in his underwear in front of the stage curtain soaking up the performance buzz at just 4 years old!

Now he is paid for it!

• Like 6

• 6 years later...

These stories are class! Heres one that will hopefully make you laugh. I was in one of my GCSE dance classes and I was practicing my duet dance. I decided I wanted to incorporate some lifts, so my partner and I did this lift where I hold her waist and lift her straight up and down. However, the first time we did the lift, she forgot to keep her legs straight and therefore one of her legs swung back and kicked me square in the balls! She felt really bad and was like, "I'm so sorry", but I was too busy rolling on the floor clutching my family jewels. Everyone else found it Hilarious. Hope this made you laugh, have a great Day!

• Like 2

It's not precisely a ballet story but it is a dance story that I hope will be amusing and fit in. 

I was doing a tango class.  We change partners every 2-3 dances as a rule and I was dancing with a slightly nervous chap I didn't know.  We were doing a sequence where he has to bring his foot between my slightly parted feet and displace my free leg and then lead me to pivot backwards on myself. I hope this makes sense, it's rather hard to describe.  

Unfortunately he was a bit shy about getting close to me so it wasn't working because I wasn't getting the signal to move the free leg from him.  Eventually I said "I think you need to come between my legs to make me move."

Needless to say that didn't quite come out right.  The man went bright red and stepped back and couldn't look at me for the rest of the class.  It took me a minute to realise how my comment could be understood.  I thought it was absolutely hilarious.    

• Like 5