How to stop leotards fading

Dancer Sugar Plum

Hello everyone,

I have a question about washing leotards and how to stop them fading (or fading so fast).

One of my favourite leotards is a tank one by Bloch in royal blue. I have been told by various people that the colour suits me. I bought the large size a couple of years ago when I was in London. The large was a bit too big for me but I loved the colour so much I bought it anyway and keep it in my dance bag as a spare leotard. I have worn it once so it's only been washed once. Later on I bought the medium royal blue one and I have been wearing that one for class every now and again.

Since I also have the 'new' large leotard I've been able to compare the colours on both leotards. I noticed a while back that the medium-sized one seems to be fading in the wash very quickly. So after a few washes the medium one was starting to look pale in comparison to the large one.

I was just wondering if any dancers, teachers or parents of DDs have any tips for keeping leotards the same shade for as long as possible? The leotard I am referring to is made with cotton lycra. Do people handwash their leotards or are there particular washing powders people would avoid using?

Alternatively, if people know of other leotards in royal blue they would recommend, I would be happy to hear of recommendations. I would just have to avoid low-backed leotards because I can't do without underwear in class!

Thanks in advance.

I machine wash dd's leotards but on a 30 degree delicate wash. I always use a colour liquid which professes to minimise colour fade. Seems to do the trick.

Just Ballet sells a beautiful Degas leotard in royal blue if you are after a new one. :-)

• Like 4

I always machine wash using 'colour' washing liquid. I haven't noticed any fading, certainly not tonthe extent of your blue one. The shiny nylon ones don't seem to fade at all and we have some bright colours. I prefer the cotton Lycra for myself though!

Spannerandpony....how do the Degas leotards size up? DD wears a Capezio small but would love a degas leotard

Hi Cornishprincess, DD wears a 3A in class uniform, a small ladies in Wear Moi and a T1 in Degas. There is very little difference between a T0 and a T1 when I lay one on top of the other - except in length which is marginal. She is a petite size 6 in "normal" clothes if that helps! Sheila at Just Ballet is incredibly helpful :)

• Like 4

Hi all,

I can highly recommend Stergene, non-bio, colour protect wash. It says on the bottle that its "Specially formulated with anti-fade & colour protection technology" I used to use it all the time on my DD's leotards etc before she started at WL & I must say I found it be excellent! It can be used in the washing machine or for handwashing. I used to buy it from Sainsburys for £4 for a 500ml bottle.

Hope this helps :)

http://www.poshrosh.co.uk/ProductsInfo.aspx?pId=225079&pType=product

Edited by Tippy_Toes
  • Like 3

Oh dear, im feeling slovenly, I have two machine washes, dark and light and all at 40 degrees with no brand loyalty to detergents...but then a 60 degree blast for bedding/towels.

I find leos are ok with this abuse, i have had some black ones 15yrs+ old but ive popped them in with a dylon black dye :) along with aging OHs tshirts :D

I agree, send pics to bloch - nothing to lose?

As for Degas, mine are black (of course!) and colour has worn well. Size wise, some styles can come a little low at the front, so the extra length can help - but dont go up too much as my daughter found they didnt sit flat in the nape if her back. Generally size 6-8 and short = T0 If a bit taller T1. 8-10 and short, T1 and if tall a T2 and so on. Im a 12 and 5'10 and wear a T4.

If anybody is unsure just ring and we'll give you flat measurements for your chosen style :)

Sx

• Like 4

I'm exactly like Sheila and mimi66... All the dance gear at 30 even the soft ballet shoes (canvas of course) with "organic" detergent (I never got the hang of bio or non bio in the UK, I think maybe it's non-bio, the best for the planet anyway...). Then let them dry naturally.

I never had a problem with fading and with 3 DDs, there are lots of different bands and models. Their tights don't become grey either.

Maybe something in the French water! ;-)

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for such a quick response, it's much appreciated.

I'll definitely be looking at Degas for my next leotard, the only problem is trying to decide which one to get!

I wash my leotards on a 30 degree cycle with colour care tablets so it looks like I haven't done something 'wrong' with the way I wash them.

Tippy_Toes - I'll definitely look into Stergene, thanks for the recommendation.

Moomin - That's a great idea, I never thought to send photos to Bloch to see what they say. I'll get that arranged and post back on this thread with their response if I hear back from them.

Thanks once again everyone.

• Like 3

Ive just ordered a lovely styled black degas leotard from Just Ballet.

She has been great......sent me a T4 ......really just to see if liked the style ....as I thought wouldn't fit no chance but was pleasantly surprised as it very nearly did. .......not as tight as I was expecting anyway......so she has ordered the T5 in this style....which did look nice on me and felt nice so I'm sure this will be a perfect fit and hopefully will wear to workshops with my black wrap around......which still hasn't had a proper outing. I should at least then look the part........well if I just keep standing in first position that is :D

• Like 4

Mine isn't a Degas skirt it's a large Capezio one and is the only one Ive found which looks okay without being either too long or too short....especially at the front.

Ive seen others in class wearing all sorts of pretty wraps.....I just wish Capezio would do one like their plain black one but with some more flowery design. Ive also got the same wrap skirt in maroon or plum......also which Ive never worn!!

It seems to me that short, plain skirts are in fashion at the moment...  I think its replacing those little shorts, knitted or otherwise.

LinMM, I know what you mean re more flowery design. I have a Capezio one (not, too flowery, but it's got a flower pattern) bought about 10 years ago.  I think that was when it was going out of fashion, as since then I haven't see any patterned wrap skirts being sold.

May be revival is now due?

• Like 1

Check out the "Tulips by Tracey", a dancer with Colorado Ballet who makes lovely skirts available in 4 different a lengths, plain or patterned chiffon, or lace, in wrap style or chiffon circular skirts :)

Grishko also do some pretty floral ones. Sansha so nice plain chiffon wraps in longer styles, I think there may be a few if those on our site too, but definitely in the shop :)

Personally, I love my Tulip in "confident flower" pattern, maybe it's a psychological help! :D

Edited by Sheila Beelam