What are the stalls like at the ROH, the Coliseum and Sadler's Wells?

I never sit in the stalls, not only because of the cost but also because I worry about the view. What is the raking like? In practice, is your view likely to be obscured if you are not tall, like me? Do you have to look up to the stage? When I (rarely) buy more expensive tickets I opt for circle seats but I would like to try the stalls once to see what it is like being really close to the dancers. Apologies if this subject has been covered before. I am particularly interested in hearing about the stalls at the Coliseum.

There is very little rake at the front of the stalls at ROH.  Reasonable rake from row F back.  As I'm short, I tend not to sit in the stalls unless it's the front row or row H at the sides (behind the side staircases).

The rake at the Coli is very good, so seats are all civilised unless one is very short or are behind someone who is very tall.

Rake at SW is also pretty good.  Seats at the front of stalls (if all the seats are there) are quite far below the stage so it's cricked neck time.  Otherwise, no isses with sitting there.

• Like 2

I have sat in the stalls at ROH purely because the seats are reasonably comfy and I can stick my misbehaving leg out into the aisle. Row A is fine because you have no heads bobbing in front of you but in row C I missed almost the entire first Act of R&J because the man in front of me literally didn't sit still, so all I could see was the back of his head. I was livid.

It does depend whether (like my dd) you like to see feet and faces close up, or whether you are happier to look down on the overall action to get the effect of the choreo.

If I remember, the further back in the stalls the better the rake, so from row G or so back you might have less of a problem with heads.

Stalls at the Coli seem to have a better rake. I'm very fortunate as they tend to give Access Members a box at the rear of the stalls. You get a good view of the stalls from there (much like the Stalls Circle at ROH) and people at the Coli don't seem to struggle in the stalls with bobbing heads.

Can't help with Sadlers as we sat in the circle.

• Like 1

Re SW, it depends on whether some rows have been taken out for the pit or not.  I always find row A, as is the front row that NB use (BB?) is fine.  I'm a bit of a shortcake too.

I've sat on the second row at ROH and had serious difficulty seeing anything.  Front row or from about row G fine for me (although some find the front row a little low).

I like the front row at the Coli.  I've never had a problem in the stalls but I know people who have when they have had someone tall sitting in front of them.

In general, if I can't get on the front row I prefer to sit at the sides as looking across diagonally seems to be easier if you are behind taller people.

• Like 1

Be careful Aileen, I can’t really afford the Stalls on a regular basis but the Chroma mixed bill seats were only £40 for Row A at the ROH so I tried it and now I’m addicted! It’s a very different experience. I think I prefer front row Amphi for the better view but front row Stalls makes for exciting viewing!

Above posts are spot on. I heard people in Row B at the ROH complaining (to each other) at the interval that they couldn’t see but at the Coli the children in the Stalls row behind me for The Nutcracker had no problems.

And another point, at the ROH in Row A I couldn’t see the dancers’ feet and I’m an average height male. Not a huge problem but a minor irritation.

• Like 3

One comment I would add re. the stalls in the Coliseum is that, as I remember it, the rows of seats are arranged so that each seat is directly in front of the other rather than offset half a seat sideways (if you see what I mean) as they are at the ROH. That can make quite a difference to your view. Personally I like being in the stalls, but not too close to the stage. All that said, I am quite tall and so lack of view has never been much of a problem for me ...

Unless you are very tall indeed, the head of the person in front at the ROH always seems to be blocking your view slightly.  Hence the bobbing and weaving, as we all keep moving to get a better view. 

Like everyone else has said, I think it is better at the Coli, and this is the one theatre where I actually prefer the stalls to anywhere else.  I always feel as though I am miles away if I sit in the circle.

Can't comment on SW - this is the one theatre where I usually get the cheaper seats, as the views are so splendid from the higher seats.  I was right up in the gods for Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake, and it was spectacular, and I could still see the expressions on their faces. 

Funny how that happens, isn't it?  I often get that problem up in the amphi, and look forward and can't see anyone moving about in front of the culprit who could be responsible for him/her shifting about so much.

I have limited experience of the ROH stalls these days, but have sat in Row D on the side block and had serious difficulty seeing.  If you were asking about opera and wanting to see surtitles I'd go for at least about Row H so that it's not too neck-achey.  Viewing is probably best from the side blocks on the aisle (which is why so many of the critics get put there!).  I've heard people complaining about not being able to see feet properly from the front rows, but don't know how widespread the problem is.

Coli - I'd agree is generally fine, although I have a problem if I sit too far to the sides because you do get a lot of the stage lighting in your eyes that way, and it tends to give me migraines.

SW - again, I don't have a lot of experience with this, and it does depend on how many rows are sacrificed for the orchestra pit.  But, I have found the back couple of rows very claustrophobic (very low ceiling, and I think they had quite bright lights shining down from it) - I haven't sat there in years.

One comment I would add re. the stalls in the Coliseum is that, as I remember it, the rows of seats are arranged so that each seat is directly in front of the other rather than offset half a seat sideways (if you see what I mean) as they are at the ROH. That can make quite a difference to your view. Personally I like being in the stalls, but not too close to the stage. All that said, I am quite tall and so lack of view has never been much of a problem for me ...

I sat in the stalls at the Coli yesterday, and they are  offset half a seat sideways. .  At least, they were for me, I was in the middle in row J.  I had forgotten how steep the rake was as well.  

Absolutely fantastic view, best I've ever had. 

• Like 2

Well, I can report that I was very happy with my seat in row D (slightly to the side) of the Coli this afternoon. Nothing obscured my view. This is the first time that I have watched ballet from the stalls and I can't afford to make a habit of it. I particularly loved being so close to the orchestra. Whilst it was good being so close to the dancers you do see every slight wobble.

• Like 1