Yorkshire Ballet Seminars Summer School

Anna C

Morning all,

DD's local teacher has suggested YBSS as a Summer School for my DD next summer. We would have to plan our holiday around it as I don't think she'd want to board - she's the only "serious" ballet dancer of her age in our local school so wouldn't know anyone else going.

That means trying to book a holiday cottage in or near to York BUT getting the timing right - i.e. not paying for a cottage and then finding out that she hasn't got a place - yet not leaving it too late to get a suitable cottage. It would have to be a cottage as opposed to a hotel as we'd probably want to take the dog.

We've never applied for YBSS before, so I just wondered about the likelihood of getting a place, and if successful, how soon do they confirm your place?

Hope that all makes sense! :-)

Thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Spanner - we have no direct experience, but I have just been on the website and it says all applicants will be informed by mid April as to whether or not they've been successful. I emailed them last week as youngest DD is interested in going this year and they advised applying asap.

Hope this is of some help - York is a beautiful place and people speak very highly of the Summer School :)

• Like 1

Thanks lisadebs and Pas de Quatre. April isn't too bad; gives us three months or so to sort out accommodation if she's successful next year.

Mind you, I'm usually ridiculously organised and have everything planned about a year in advance...will have to go with the flow!

Hi Spanner my DD did Yorkshire Seminars last year and has applied again this year they said on the letter that we would be informed by the beginning of May, i would imagine if she is not going to board that there would not be a problem in getting a place on the course for her, i imagine they are limited by accommodation as they use a couple of the blocks from the halls of residence but if she will be staying with yourselves then that shouldnt be an issue. My DD thoroughly enjoyed herself and is hoping she gets a place again this year.

• Like 1

My DD has been going to YBSS for about 4 years now and absolutely loves it.

The people are lovely too. Is your DD absolutely certain she doesn't want to board?

This year I'm not sure what to do. The YBSS scholarship auditions are on the same day and at the same time as NYB final audition. I will have to ask DD what she thinks I suppose.

• Like 1

I think so Gingerbread. If she was going with a friend then she probably wouldn't mind, but I don't think she wants to board not knowing anyone there. Plus it would be a very long journey in the car for us to take her, come back, then do it all again a week or two later. As it's in the summer I think it would just be easier all round if we holiday up there. :-)

Do people normally just do one week?

Yes lots of people do just one week. Let's face it, £800 is a lot of money if you want to do 2 weeks!

Have you thought of taking her up on the train? We drove the first time we went, but since then have taken the train from Stevenage. So much quicker! You can go up and stay overnight at a B&B quite cheaply and go back down the next day. Train fares can be costly though - can't remember how much it was last year...

• Like 1

DS has done YBS for past three years, and very happy to go back this time if gets a place. He's been non-residential so far. One thing to bear in mind is there is a Gala evening every other year at the Grand Opera House with an amazing cast list, including RB/ENB Principals (2013 will be a Gala year). Only children doing the two week course are eligible to be in the Gala. DS has only ever done one week, so not participated, though we did go and watch the Gala and saw the other students taking part.

• Like 1

Oh, that's reassuring - don't think we could afford 2 weeks! :-)

Hadn't thought about train from Stevenage Gingerbread....would be worth considering if any of her friends from Associates or EYB were doing it.

Lots of food for thought everyone, thank you very much. :-). If anyone has applied this year I'd be very interested to find out when you hear.

Can't do it this year, sadly, for financial reasons and because we'd struggle to fit it in between 4 days with the RAD at Birmingham and then EYB! :-))

If your dd wanted to apply again next year then my dd would love to board with her! :-))

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone had yes/no letters from YBSS for their course this summer?

We haven't heard yet and final payment is coming up at the end of next week so will need to post the cheque off soon.

Good luck for any DD or DS going to the scholarship auditions for YBSS on Sunday 29th April.

• Like 1

Not me - ha ha - but DS is. This will be his fourth year of trying for one but goes for the experience of an audition as you've got to be 'in it to win it'!

He's gone to YBSS of either 1 or 2 weeks since year 9 and has thoroughly enjoyed the experience and of being with other dancers. It gave him the chance to stay away from home and the opportunity to dance everyday which from a non-vocational background gave him more confidence with his dancing which helped when he auditioned at vocational schools last year.

Has anyone had yes/no letters from YBSS for their course this summer?

We haven't heard yet and final payment is coming up at the end of next week so will need to post the cheque off soon.

Good luck for any DD or DS going to the scholarship auditions for YBSS on Sunday 29th April.

Surely they won't expect final payment if they haven't yet sent results out?

Don't forget that there are also a number of bursaries available for YBSS. DD went two years ago - we had paid for one week and out of the blue received a phone call from Marguerite Porter saying they were refunding our payment as they had chosen her for a full bursary for two weeks. We hadn't applied for one and hadn't auditioned for a scholarship either.

J x

• Like 1

In previous years we have had a 'yes' letter early April (1st two weeks) so not sure what the delay is this year. Perhaps they are in the post?

My cheque for the deposit has not been cashed yet. Have put the final payment cheque in the post today so I don't forget. I would expect if we had a 'no' letter then my cheques would be returned.

Hope that helps a bit.

• Like 1