Yorkshire Ballet Seminars Summer School

Anna C

We received our letter this morning informing us that DD has a place on Week 1 so look out for your post. When you do get your letter I would be keen to know if any other DDs going first week as my DD will be on her own. My DD is 13 and currently studying Intermediate/Grade 6.

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interested parent, my DD who has just turneld 14 also got a yes letter this morning for first week and also will not know anyone!! She's really excited and I am taking the opportunity to have a holiday in York myself while she's there with daughter no 2 and the dog!

• Like 1

My DD also got her letter this morning, she will be 12 by the time she goes. She went last year for a week and absolutely loved every minute of it and learnt alot too. She didn't know anybody when she went, but has kept in touch with a couple of girls she met and is hoping to catch up with them again. She is going for both weeks this year. I too might have a few days in Yorkshire with another of my daughters!

• Like 1

My DD also got her letter this morning, she will be 12 by the time she goes. She went last year for a week and absolutely loved every minute of it and learnt alot too. She didn't know anybody when she went, but has kept in touch with a couple of girls she met and is hoping to catch up with them again. She is going for both weeks this year. I too might have a few days in Yorkshire with another of my daughters!

Hi Alldancers have sent you a P.M

My DD also has a yes for YBSS although the letter didnt state which week, she too will be 12 by the time she goes, she loved last year and stayed in touch with some of the people she met, she too is really looking forward to it again :)

Sorry - just another quick question re. scholarship auditions. Just wondering when and how the results arrive.

In people's experience do they usually email/phone or send letters?

We had an email either the same day or the next day (can't quite remember) but it was very fast.

DD has received a yes for the second week - not been before, so does anyone know if many children stay until the Saturday morning, or do most go home on the Friday evening? It would be easier to pick her up on the Saturday, but don't want her to be staying in an empty hall of residence for the night.

Thanks

Millie

Thanks for quick replies - think I'll arrange to collect her on the Friday.

after the performance for parents.

Didn't see this mentioned on the website - what time does this take place? (lots of questions I know - but trying to get organised!)

Millie

Hi

In previous years the demonstration has been about 3pm possibly 3.30pm. The actual time will go up during the week on the notice board there so your DD will be able to tell you.

I would say most but not all leave on the Friday night.

Last year DS was there for two weeks, I went up to watch and see him after the first week and then he left at the end of the second week on the Saturday morning and came home by train. Previous years he came home on the Friday.

The accommodation are the halls of residents of the University. Basic but fine. Bed, wardrobe, desk, chair, sink - get the idea. Showers are available on each floor. There is a 'house parent' for each block. (1 for all the boys in their block anyway)

Washing machines are available, for a small cost, and also need to take washing capsules/liquid with them. DS found out what make/model it was, I looked it up on-line for the instructions and then told him how to use it. Success!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

In the past, Dd has always stayed on til the Saturday morning. It's too much of a journey home on a Friday late afternoon for us. There has always been a small but friendly group staying over that final night - and of course the house parents are still on duty etc.

• Like 1

Sorry - just another quick question re. scholarship auditions. Just wondering when and how the results arrive.

In people's experience do they usually email/phone or send letters?

Have heard of someone being phoned yest/today for a yes to funding from the audition last Sunday xxx

• Like 1

Thank you - Lottie, All4dancers and gingerbread for your responses. I'm away on a course that week - so will have to see if I can leave early as would love to watch what they have been up to all week.

Millie

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi Millie

Yes - there are some really nice photos online. The photographer was Andrew McMillan and the site is http://techphoto.co.uk

The site is password protected - not sure whether its alright to post the password here? If not I can pm it to you

(Have just sent you the password in a pm - happy viewing!)

Edited by lisadebs

Sorry if this has been answered before but are the classes very big at YBSS? Thinking about it for next year, my dd will be 14 and have (hopefully) taken Intermediate in the Spring. She's very shy though so I would worry a bit about her shrinking into the background in a very large class.

My son did this two years ago, and yes the classes were very big. He had the time of his life though, got some lovely encouragement and he particularly enjoyed the social aspect!

I will say though that I noticed that by the end of the week (he was only there for the one week) most of the girls still had to wear their name badges whereas the boys were already known by name. I also observed a few classes where some people did not even get a glance in their direction never mind some attention, whereas others got lots! However these classes were large and it was "whole class" teaching with some excellent exercises nonetheless.

Its certainly very good experience, especially for those not yet in full time vocational school. As many who attend are from White Lodge, Elmhurst and other vocational schools its a chance for those not in the system as it were to dance alongside them and get an idea of where they are standard wise as well as getting to know like minded serious students.

Edited by hfbrew
  • Like 2

As far as I could tell it was by ability first and foremost but with age a consideration also. The lists were displayed on arrival and there was a note to say that the directors decision was final! There are plenty of photos on the website so you can see the size and quality (for want of a better word!) of the groups.

• Like 1

Hi Spanner, my DD did the second week which seemed to be slightly quieter than the first.

Think there were about 25/30 in her group (she was in the middle group and is 13, I'd say she was one of the youngest in that group). She has a fairly quiet nature but didn't mention feeling swamped or overwhelmed, she really enjoyed the teaching and I know she would love to go again next year.

Her close friends from vocational school did the first week so I was a bit worried that she would be on her own, but in actual fact she said everyone was very friendly and it was really good to meet new people.

It was a bit daunting leaving her in university accomodation though - especially when we realised this would be first time she had slept in a room on her own !!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello, I joined this forum in the hopes of getting some pre-information for YBSS.

My daughter will be 16 this summer and attending YBSS (both weeks). The catch? We are from Toronto, Canada and have very little knowledge of this program. It looks fantastic!

She will be travelling alone to Manchester but can only fly with a Friday arrival as there are no other direct flight, so my first question is: Where can I get her housed for that first night or do you think there is any chance of her checking in at the uni on the Friday?

Also, I was hoping to turn this into a mini holiday for me too, after the program (Londons calling!). I am aware the last day is Friday but is there a performance at the end? If so which day is it typically held?

Im sure we/she will have many more questions but my main concern now is making sure I can get flights and travel squared away at reasonable prices so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You