Yorkshire Ballet Seminars Summer School

Anna C

Hi audsjcanuk, my DD did YBSS last year and loved it. We stayed in York during the week she was there and did the sights, went to the beach etc. we stayed in a hotel literally next door to York St. John univercity which is wher the SS is held. It's literally about a three minute walk. It's called Best Western Monkbar hotel. Google it! Would be good place for your daughter to stay for the night. I have a feeling they wouldn't let her stay in the Uni. The performance is on the Friday. Good luck!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't answer questions about the ballet seminar itself but where your daughter could stay overnight depends on the arrival time of her plane.

There are direct trains from Manchester Airport to York that run until after midnight although it may only be an hourly service later on.  Here is a link to the railway company's website:

http://www.tpexpress.co.uk/

I would suggest travelling to York and getting acquainted with the city rather than breaking the journey in Manchester.  If the university accommodation is not available on the Friday, there are LOADS of guest houses in York city centre.  Here is a website that may be of some use:

http://www.iknow-yorkshire.co.uk/north_yorkshire/york-city-centre/all_prices/guest_houses/all_specialities/

York is a glorious and historic city with lots to see and do.  I do hope you get the opportunity to wander around before you head off to London.  When you are there you must go to Betty's Tea Rooms.  Well worth queuing if you can't get straight in.

Katherine Barber (username here is toursenlair) is Toronto based but has been to the UK on many occaions.  She may be able to give you travel tips from Toronto to the UK.

Welcome to the forum BTW.  We would love to hear news of dance in Canada too!

Hi audsjcanuk, my DD did YBSS last year and loved it. We stayed in York during the week she was there and did the sights, went to the beach etc. we stayed in a hotel literally next door to York St. John univercity which is wher the SS is held. It's literally about a three minute walk. It's called Best Western Monkbar hotel. Google it! Would be good place for your daughter to stay for the night. I have a feeling they wouldn't let her stay in the Uni. The performance is on the Friday. Good luck!

Oh the Monkbar is a super hotel.  I have many happy memories of staying there while I was on a course.  I was thrilled that I was in a room (Basil) that had a name rather than a number!  The advantage of a hotel like this is that it has a restaurant and room service rather than your daughter having to find somewhere to eat if she is nervous about going out on her own in a strange city.

Oh yes, if you get a chance go on one of the comedy ghost walks; they are both informative and hilarious!

• Like 1

My post was removed from new topics? I have read this other thread thoroughly and my question is quite different so would have preferred it remained as was.

I haven't moved it or merged the topics.....not sure how that happened!

I've stayed at the City Guesthouse in York - cheaper than the Monk bar hotel but still really really close to the uni where the seminars take place.

However, book now - wherever it is you want to stay. My experience of YBSS tells me that accommodation gets sold out really quickly especially if it's a race weekend, which it often is at that time in July.

I second Betty's as an absolute must ..... and the best Italian restaurant is Mamma Mia, which is situated in Gillygate - really close to the uni.

This is great! Just the kind of info I was hoping for so thank you!

Getting the feel of a place before going takes alot of stress out of it. DD will have questions and it's great to have somewhere to ask. She is a full time student at Canada's National Ballet School and most students at her level go on exchange programs during summer. Her teacher suggested ybss and it was an easy sell. She is a very independent kid but this will be her first solo trip.

• Like 3