Rambert auditions

Guest Autumn days

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd is in the first year at Rambert and our understanding is that they spead the auditions out over a period of time as they get so many applicants. They do a first sift at the application stage and only audition those they feel would fit their criteria, but still audition a lot of candidates.

They began their audition process last week of Feb and have morning and afternoon sessions on Mondays and Tuesdays, for two weeks. Then they have a break of a couple of weeks and begin the process again. There will be about 20-25 plus in each group of auditionees. Men and ladies are auditioned separately. My dd thinks the auditions go on until May. They also go abroad to do auditions and of course there are DVD auditions too. For the auditions at school, they let you know 2 weeks after you've auditioned. So, they must reserve a set number of places per audition group or day. Of course they might not choose to fill all those spaces at the time.

As far as the waiting list goes, well they said to dd's friend who was on it last year that places sometimes come up even as late as August. I'm sure they try to get numbers sorted as soon as all the auditions are done but there will always be a bit of movement with these things.

The number they take varies from year to year, but the head says they try to keep to about 100 students in total, so obviously the numbers they can take depends on how many there will be in the 2nd and 3rd years - but I'm sure that if they want a particular student then they will take them even if they are 'full.'

In my dd's year there are a lot of overseas students, from all over the world. The ages in her year also varies from 16-23.

It is a brilliant school, they treat each dancer as an individual and encourage their artistry, independence and creativity from day 1. They are also incredibly supportive and nurturing to their students.

• Like 3

Guest dancer2027

Hi I hope I'm not worrying anyone now sorry to cause concern, I think by what she meant was perhaps they just put those who auditioned earlier on and are waiting for more auditionees to give them an opportunity for places, that way they have the people they are unsure about at the top of their list. I'm sure they want to make there process as fair as possible and if they want you they want you! Maybe just call and check for yourself if you are worried but I'm sure it will be fine good luck to everyone and thanks for the support!

• Like 1

Good news for my student, she received a yes letter yesterday! She's thrilled it's her number one choice though she has a Central final too which may sway her if she gets in. Her experience was that she auditioned last Monday 10th and did all aspects of the audition class, they kept 8 for solo and 6 for Physio and interview. In the past two other students one who received a place but went to ENB and one who got a reserve both went to interview stage in diff years of auditioning. The reserve student was told they have several bucket lists of def yes, def no and then top end waiting list, bottom end waiting list. She got offered a place in August but had decided to go to Performers with a DADA. They seem to rely heavily on the application form and they love students who are choreographically minded. It also seems, no offence, they heavily favour ex vocational school students who seem to sail in there. So we are pretty chuffed with our girl! Incidentally she is 18 and doing a levels.

• Like 6

Guest Autumn days

Well done to your student, balletqs, and thank you for sharing. Do you definitely mean that she auditioned on the 10th? I thought that the last audition in this bunch was the week before! And did she get an email before she got the letter?

Guest Autumn days

Dont worry, you can be forgiven almost anything if you have just had a baby!! Odd about he letter, though as most seem to have had an email. Feel time is running out here....

Firstly, balletqs congratulations on your baby! Boy or girl?

Secondly, congratulations to your student.

How nice it is for him/her to get a 'yes' straight off, instead of this agonising reserve wait. But at least that is better than a no!

Hopefully we won't have to wait til August to hear DD is Australian so that will mean too late to accept. She has got a yes from a school in Brussels but we are unsure about it as it has only recently expanded into full time training. DD auditioned at Rambert during a tour organised by her school here in Aus. That was back in January. She has just finished a DVD so we are sending that off as well.

Does anyone know if it would be acceptable to contact them to see what her chances are. I don't want to seem pushy.

As Rambert divides itself equally between Classical and Contemporary, it is not unusual that there should be a wider range of ages.  Most classical senior training aims to start at 16 (or 17) whereas most Contemporary training starts post A-level at 18 or older.  However I am sure the dancers can't be divided that simply into different categories! 

As Rambert divides itself equally between Classical and Contemporary, it is not unusual that there should be a wider range of ages.  Most classical senior training aims to start at 16 (or 17) whereas most Contemporary training starts post A-level at 18 or older.  However I am sure the dancers can't be divided that simply into different categories! 

All the students have to study classical ballet and contemporary dance equally, to "post professional" levels (whatever that means!) So everyone has to do both genres to the same exacting standards throughout the 3 years; they're not allowed to choose one over the other.

I guess the ages matter less if some students are not intending to pursue classical ballet career options at the end of their training. 

My impression from the school is that age is less relevant there than in other places. And I know that graduates who have begun their training there at 18 or older do go on to get contracts with ballet companies, so it doesn't seem to matter.

I also think that they want to encourage all students to be as open as possible to their career options, and don't want students to start their training with a fixed idea of where they will end up. However, of course the reality is that some students will know ballet isn't ultimately for them, or the other way round. The ethos seems to be to encourage as much versatility in every dancer as possible.

Some of the men in particular are older (early 20s) because they came into dance very late. 

There is no rule that you have to be 18/19 to get into a ballet company though?! So it doesn't matter what age you start your training. My successful 18 yr old student is tiny and very young looking (age 14 max!) it is the level the directors of companies look at not zags :)

• Like 2

Two more girls I know have been offered places, which is excellent news!!! 

One of the girls who has been offered reserve was saying something today about being told they might be holding a recall for people on the reserve list this year, but I only caught half the conversation so I'm really not sure... had anyone else heard about this?

Congratulations balletqs to your student! You must be very proud  :)

• Like 1

I haven't posted before, but thought I'd add our experience of the process this year. My DS was offered a place by email last week. He is 15, so 16 when he starts. He has studied both ballet and contemporary and loves both!   He did the solo/physio/interview. He did a contemporary solo. 

From what we understand, the auditions go right through 'til end april, and everyone auditioning has an equal chance of a place, so we presumed there must be an allocation limit from each audition with those they liked, but did not not have space for in the allocated spaces, going on the reserve list. Sorry if this is a bit long winded, but it is heartbreaking to read posts from people waiting, so just trying to help make sense of it all.  

We are delighted for our DS but to those who have not heard or have received a No - Every dance college is looking for slightly different things you are all unique and the right place is out there waiting for you!  :)

• Like 7

Huddsballetmum - he's on the contemporary CAT course. It has been brilliant for him. They do a ballet class each week as well as contemporary and creative classes. They are also very supportive of them doing classes elsewhere.

SBallerina - Really hope it works out for you.  :)

Huddsballetmum - he's on the contemporary CAT course. It has been brilliant for him. They do a ballet class each week as well as contemporary and creative classes. They are also very supportive of them doing classes elsewhere.

SBallerina - Really hope it works out for you.  :)

Thank you so much for the information inafluster.  It has been so helpful in reinforcing where my dd wants to go next.  I wish you DS all the best at Rambert and hope he thoroughly enjoys his time there.  You must let us know how he gets on.  :)

Guest Autumn days

I have such mixed feelings when someone gets a 'yes' I am very, very happy for them, how wonderful. But that yes also means that one less place to come off the reserve list :( such an agonising time.

Osmum, I don't think it is that simple. Rambert have not finished allocating places yet as they do this on an ongoing basis. From what has been said here it seems that following each set of auditions the ones they really like get places and the ones they are not sure about get a reserve place. Therefore, those getting places at the moment are probably not taking anything away from your dd. I am not sure when they will start to look at the reserve list, if at all, but I imagine it will be a while. Why not ask them and explain your position?

WatkinsDance Contemporary Summer Course Age 14-19 at the Rambert School, London 2nd - 5th August 2014

Are you aged 14-19 and looking for something to keep you engaged this summer?

WatkinsDance Summer Course 2nd-5th August 2014. Ballet, Contemporary, African, Creative and WatkinsDance Rep. Guest teachers include: Bawren Tavaziva, Hannah Kidd, Holly Noble, Katie Cambridge and WatkinsDance dancers Lauren Wilson and Ellen Yilma.

Fee:£150.

To book your place please download a booking form from the website and send to: Anna@watkinsdance.co.uk http://www.watkinsda...mer-Course.html

Definitely off putting to see the same thing on every thread! It's like you are shouting in our faces and it puts me off even seeing what you have to offer... Very bad move on your part if you hope to get students that way...

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...