Simply Adult Ballet: the progress of one adult dancer who took up ballet later in life

Michelle_Richer

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah Mimi I think Viengsay might have cut that out...!

This one by Sylvie has a grand jeté after the lame duck.

And this one by Natalia Osipova:

But Cynthia Harvey doesn't travel the jeté as much but the back leg is still high (starts at 1:49)

Cynthia Harvey In Kitri:

(I've tried to fix the embedding but I couldn't. I think there might be YouTube settings on the clip itself preventing it)

Edited by select*from

Ah Mimi I think Viengsay might have cut that out...!

This one by Sylvie has a grand jeté after the lame duck.

And this one by Natalia Osipova:

But Cynthia Harvey doesn't travel the jeté as much but the back leg is still high (starts at 1:49)

Cynthia Harvey In Kitri:

(I've tried to fix the embedding but I couldn't. I think there might be YouTube settings on the clip itself preventing it)

Oh, I see!    Thank you for the links, I love them all.

Cynthia Harvey's Kitri was one of my dream Kitri  in my youth...

Edited by mimi66

My two favourite Kitris I have seen are Altynai Assylmuratova and Anette Delgado.

I have just found this clip of Anette Delgado and Joel Carreno guesting with RDB in Don Q.  It is the gpdd but unfortunately stops before the fouettes and coda.  I was there that night!!!

• Like 2

Hi Girls

This is the one I’m working with at the moment , Natalia’s version is another that interest me as I like her style, but there is a limit to how much I can process at any one time. Tuesday was a really heavy day with only 10 minutes contingency time from train arrive a Kings X from my classes in Leed to arriving at Shoreditch studio for my Rep session, then only ten minute contingency between travel from Shoreditch to ENB. No meals just mars bars on the hoof, timing was really tight. Thankfully this is only until the end of June.

Today’s rehearsal at the Angles Theatre seemed rather tame in comparison.

Tomorrow is another busy day with a long drive starting at 6am to Norwich Theatre Royal as we are doing something for Mid Summer nights dream, then drive to Peterborough for train to London for our LAB rehearsal.

My only problem now is I need lots of studio rehearsal time to myself, I’ve got another slot in next week to work on Kitri before my next rep session. At least I’ve got the Fan, the Tutu and skirt comes later.

Watch from 5.30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zf_n5bATF9w

Edited by Michelle_Richer

My favorite remains - Plisetskaya.  No, the technique is not perfect - but the exictement she brings to it.  Watch how she works with that fan to emphasize the music:

And for the Grand Pas de deux:

Makarova and Bujones - this is her first performance after giving birth.

His technique is about as perfect as it gets, in my opinion.

Click here: Makarova and Bujones dance "Don Quixote" Pt. 1 - YouTube

Click here: Makarova and Bujones dance "Don Quixote" PDD Pt. 2 - YouTube

• Like 3

All these exciting Kitris!  I have been watching these video and just realised that it well past my bed time...  Alas, I must leave the links Anjuli posted for tomorrow :( .

Hi Girls

This is the one I’m working with at the moment ,

[...] 

Watch from 5.30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Zf_n5bATF9w

Ah, Michelle, now I understand!  You are doing a piece known as  "Kitri's Entrance", not Act 1 variation...

As to how to improve that split type grand jete, I would still follow LinMM's advice (post#1028) above.  

Off to bed, good night to you all...

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 2

Thanks Mimi, I will try Lin’s suggestion this weekend in my own studio. I have my local hall booked for an hour on Monday I think I will see if I can get changed to 2, as I have another rep session on this on Tuesday. Only down side of the hall, it doesn’t have a sprung floor.

Michelle,  glad to be of help.

By the way, personally I wouldn't even do a very a terre a terre simple soutes at non-sprung floor studio, (and may I add that I am not in the same age group as you are) - that is even after I am warmed up (i.e. after a full barre and non-allegro bits of the centre work).  In fact, for myself, I avoid taking classes unless the studio has sprung floor.

I am quoting Balleteacher's post #1051  here, as this I think help a lot for jumps.

Lovely links. I think it demonstrates some of the key ingredients so to speak to develop good allegro. You need good plié and power through the feet to push off from the floor into the air. This is why it is important to work the feet as much as possible at the barre as if you cannot go through the whole foot with strength your power in a jump will be compromised. Try filming basic tendus and sautes and look at your footwork as this can be a really useful way to use recording as a learning aid. Look for articulation of the whole foot. If you notice that the end of your toes are not fully stretching in a jump or a tendu it is a sign you need to do more foot and metatarsal strengthening exercises.

Also, this is just a thought... since you have private lessons, why not ask your teacher to focus on grand jete for a couple of classes?  I am sure she in the best person to be able to guide you on this.  Just a thought.

Call me a footnotes/reference maniac (...though I normally behave well and refrain from littering my comments with footnotes/references...), but I just had to post this.

[...]  I've gone onto YouTube to do some searching on Le Corsaire. Do you mean the 3rd odalisque variation, the series of arabesques and pirouettes down the diagonal? [...]

[...]

(I apologise for the geekiness. I spend hours watching ballet on YouTube. Started off as procrastination and now one of my favourite past times!)

S

Here is the link to the video, the 3rd odalisque variation.  I don't know who the dancer is in the video, but she is certainly a lovely dancer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6c0fX5b5Fo

• Like 1

That is the piece but its not executed anywhere near as well as Bolshoi, I see the pirouettes are only doubles, the same as Bolshoi. I'm not sure but I think the tempo of the music also sounds a little slower but I may be wrong.

By the way, personally I wouldn't even do a very a terre a terre simple soutes at non-sprung floor studio, (and may I add that I am not in the same age group as you are) - that is even after I am warmed up (i.e. after a full barre and non-allegro bits of the centre work).  In fact, for myself, I avoid taking classes unless the studio has sprung floor.

Hi Mimi

I can understand your reluctance to use a floor that is not sprung, to some extent I share the same feeling, however it was the floor used by my first ballet teacher, its local , its inexpensive, high availability, very large and quite slippy for pirouettes. It does have a lot of plus pointes but obviously a serious shortcoming when it comes to anything jump related.

Any dance or exercise activity, a proper warm-up is essential, even though my body balance classes use cold gymnasiums in the winter and stretches after very few exercises and I've sustained injuries there as a result. I’m inclined to go the other way and use very cardio accelerated warm-up but ensuring the whole body is warmed up before attempting anything serious in that hall.

I’m a little perplexed by your comment “(and may I add that I am not in the same age group as you are)”. Could this mean you are more fragile?

I’m a little perplexed by your comment “(and may I add that I am not in the same age group as you are)”. Could this mean you are more fragile?

Yes.  I am 120 years old dancer and feeling rather fragile lately. ;)

Edited by mimi66
  • Like 6

I'm feeling similar today Lin after a full day of digging and weeding on my allotment yesterday! Off to pilates shortly, hoping that will stretch out some of the aches before ballet tomorrow :)

• Like 3

I'm feeling similar today Lin after a full day of digging and weeding on my allotment yesterday! Off to pilates shortly, hoping that will stretch out some of the aches before ballet tomorrow :)

I will look out for you at Hype Dance tomorrow afternoon.

Also looking forward to seeing Michelle_Richer at Leeds in the morning.

• Like 1

This morning students of the Northern Ballet Academy's Over 55 Class danced in the space behind the Stanley and Audrey Burton Theatre. This theatre is attached to Northern Ballet's studios and offices. Both Northern Ballet and visiting companies have danced there. The thought of dancing on the boards where many of my heroes and heroines have danced is quite delicious but also quite daunting. I find it far more formidable than presenting a difficult case to a tetchy judge.

We had our first run through today and the ballet is beginning to take shape.  It is a wonderful experience and one that I had never expected. Certainly not at my time of life.

I told my adult students - many of whom were very reluctant to perform - that as they walked into the stage door in the back of the theatre, entered the dressing rooms, put on their makeup, costumes, warmed up and then stood in the wings waiting to go on stage - they were a part of a very long line of history going clear back at least to Greek theatre.  

Being part of this history is something, once done, can never be taken away from you.  It doesn't matter the level of perfection or age - you will have stood on a stage.  Someday when you are a very old lady, rocking in a chair in the sunshine, you can close your eyes and relive the moment and be glad that when you had the opportunity and you took it.

Congratulations - enjoy.

• Like 13

Thank you so much Anjuli_Bai. I think that is the best post I have ever read on this forum. You have a lovely way with words.

I should have said before that Michelle_Richer is in the show too and I am learning from her. At one point we partner each other and I couldn't wish for a better one.

• Like 3

I should have said before that Michelle_Richer is in the show too and I am learning from her. At one point we partner each other and I couldn't wish for a better one.

Terpischore

Thank you for the complement, too many of those an I will have to hang my Black Swan tutu in the wardrobe never to be used.

Have you thought up a title for our dance yet?, as mine seemed to fall on deaf ears

I was somewhat disappointed with the groups response when I raised costumes, lighting and scenery back projection especially as we have a lovely studio theatre to perform in and the assistance of their lighting technician next week.

I know it was eventually decided costumes would be something dark (black)

I got the feeling that the consensus was, it doesn't matter yet, as we have loads of time, where in fact we only have three rehearsals, and a dress rehearsal of no more than 30minutes each, before the performance on the 28th and we are only about two thirds through the sequence.

In Contrast LAB which perform after Northern have sequences completed but do have the odd simple sequences being covered by there new intake of dancers. All costumes Identified, most dancers have most of the costumes required and most rehearsals take place in tutu for spacing. Lab rehearsal time 1 – 2 hour per session

Angles theatre which perform after LAB all dancers already have their own costumes (Leo dress), we are just waiting for add-on detachable butterfly wings to be made. Sequence already completed apart from final pose as that require butterfly wings to complete. Angles Theatre rehearsal time 1 hour per session.

Terpischore

Have you thought up a title for our dance yet?, as mine seemed to fall on deaf ears

On the contrary, I think your suggestion is a good one and I am sure that it will be considered.

That does not absolve us from thinking about it as our instructor asked each and every one of us to think of a title and at least one colleague has asked for more time. My thoughts for what they are worth are inclining towards "The Return of Maxim". That is the popular title of the music which seems to be quite well known. For instance I found several versions of it on YouTube when I Googled the title.  Several ballets take their title from the music.  For example, Ashton' Symphonic Variations and Enigma Variations.  I shall propose it to our instructor who is. of course, also our choreographer and leave it to her to present my suggestion to our colleagues if she thinks it has merit.

I was somewhat disappointed with the groups response when I raised costumes, lighting and scenery back projection especially as we have a lovely studio theatre to perform in and the assistance of their lighting technician next week.

I know it was eventually decided costumes would be something dark (black)

Again I value your contribution.

I did not get the sense that any final decision has been made on costume.  Someone said that black worked well last year.   Another observed that black is more flattering to those of us whose figures are no longer sylphlike (if indeed they ever where).  I personally see merit in those observations but I am still considering other costumes.  If I had a perfect figure I would prefer to dance in a skirt or even a romantic or classical tutu but I think I would look silly in either costume. Were we to choose such costumes we now know of a reliable supplier in Essex whom I think I may have had the pleasure of meeting at the Royal Opera House in January,

Terpischore

I got the feeling that the consensus was, it doesn't matter yet, as we have loads of time, where in fact we only have three rehearsals, and a dress rehearsal of no more than 30minutes each, before the performance on the 28th and we are only about two thirds through the sequence.

I assure you that is not my view. I am taking it very seriously and am taking every opportunity to improve my very limited skills by attending every class that I can even though I do not really have the time. This performance will occur at a very inconvenient time as I have high value and complex cases to present which require a lot of preparation in June and July. However, I am confident that I can cope.   I find that class helps me to do my job better as I return to work with a clear head and exercised body,

I would implore patience on your part. You have far more experience than most of us.   For many if not most of us this is our first experience of performing in public for many years. The last time I appeared on a stage was as Clara in Pygmalion when I was at prep school in about 1960. Save for a few classes from a biochemistry student who had once been a dancer in about 1970 my first ballet class was in December 2012. I have only been a member of the beginners' class of Northern Ballet Academy since September 2013..

• Like 4

STRANGE BUT TRUE:

During my Tuesday level 3 ENB class, the class was split up into two groups for a pirouette enchainement exercise. Dancers from Group one would have a partner in group two, we have done that before.

Group two danced the enchainement whilst their respective partners in group one observed and then gave correction to the dancer. The dancer would execute the enchainement again and it was the observers job to see that correction had been taken on board.
Then the dancer / observer rolls would be reversed.

This was done with enchainements firstly with En dehors and then repeated with en dedans, we were only permitted to used single turn pirouettes.

Only remark I got from the en dehors was about the height of my retire.

However for the en dedans I got a “PERFECT”, that what my partner said. So I said in earshot of my teacher, don’t tell ???? that, and of course my teacher heard it, so my partner repeated it “ she was perfect”. All my teacher said was “Well that’s all right then”. I think I felt a bit deflated, even I would never call my pirouettes perfect, but at least someone I this world thought so. I just had to share that little gem.

LAB

Thursday my LAB day was absolutely awful, not the class but getting to it. Road works close to Peterborough City centre caused a delay which meant virtually all the time I had in hand for getting ticket was swallowed up for travelling off peak (4pm). Once through the road works, the station car park was full, at that point it started to rain heavily. There is an overspill car park a bit further away, fortunately there were spaces. When I put my hand out of the window to get my parking ticket the heaven opened with torrential rain and hail. I parked the car and it was now 3.45pm, I had a short Mack with me, so struggling I put it on in the car, I got my bits and pieces together and made a dash for it, I had no choice. There was 2 inches of standing water in most of the car park and it was still chucking it down, my feet and legs were soaking wet. I managed to get the ticket in time and caught the 3.50pm train to Kings Cross, just past Huntingdon the train came to a halt, apparently there was a problem with rail side equipment due the bad weather and they were proceeding with extreme caution as several trains were queued up.  Eventually I got to Kings Cross 25 minute late.

However I did arrive at RAD’s HQ before our LAB session was scheduled to begin only to be told we will be staying in the small studio we use for Barre work for that night, as normally we transfer to one of RAD’s large studios for centre and rep work.

Friday: I did the two hour of Kitri prep in my local hall, to my surprise I am still walking, however the grand jete’s were quite soft as it was more important to try and finish the whole scene on time, rather than a large grand jete and possible injure myself on the hard hall floor. However I did put knee supports on as a precaution and popped a couple of leg warmers on the right knee for the jete en tournant that lands and goes directly to a kneeling position. I can honestly say, that scene has looked like one of the easiest I’ve attempted and has turned out by far to be the hardest.

I have 7 hours of Don Q on Saturday, that will be a real test for my legs and ankles.

Michelle have just emailed you about tomorrow as won't be going up to London tomorrow after all.......explained in email!

I hope the Don Q workshop goes well and am really very sorry to have to miss this workshop :(

Have just got back from Physio and it looks like at least another four weeks of no dancing but hinted that as long as things continue to improve even if slowly I may be able to start doing just a barre in a months time. But wants to continue building up hip strength in particular first.

She also clarified that in these overuse injuries the recovery time for my type is three to four months but NOT from the point the foot was injured (January) but from the point you start to fully REST the foot.........for me this wasn't really until April so she wouldn't expect substantial improvement till nearer July.

It's not looking that good for LAB then ........though the two bits I may be in only amount to about 3 - 4 mins of dancing max altogether.

Maybe I will have to resort to performing these for Physio on the 9th June to see if she will approve even if not doing class etc yet!! :D

Hi Lin

I did see your email, I will send you a proper reply tomorrow night as I'm trying to get some stuff done for Rejane plus I need to get an early night as its another early morning for me to get to Sadlers before 10am.

• Like 1

[...]

Have just got back from Physio and it looks like at least another four weeks of no dancing but hinted that as long as things continue to improve even if slowly I may be able to start doing just a barre in a months time. But wants to continue building up hip strength in particular first.

She also clarified that in these overuse injuries the recovery time for my type is three to four months but NOT from the point the foot was injured (January) but from the point you start to fully REST the foot.........for me this wasn't really until April so she wouldn't expect substantial improvement till nearer July.

It's not looking that good for LAB then ........though the two bits I may be in only amount to about 3 - 4 mins of dancing max altogether.

Maybe I will have to resort to performing these for Physio on the 9th June to see if she will approve even if not doing class etc yet!! :D

LinMM, sorry to hear that you have to miss classes and workshops for a few more weeks... how frustrating.  I supporse the good news is that your foot is improving.

How was the session with Francesca? 

wishing you a swift recovery,  xxx mimi66

http://www.shoreditchstudio.co.uk/Pilates_%26_Gyrotonic.html

Thanks Mimi......my session with Franziska is on June 4th

This is a link to her website which gives some info on what she does besides ballet of course!

I had a couple of private ballet lessons with her last year which I found very beneficial (I don't do her regular classes at Danceworks) but have attended three of her workshops last year which I also thought were very enjoyable and excellent value.

• Like 1