New Summer School

Nana Lily

And while surfing the web, I have come across another summer school for 14-19yr olds, which looks like it is running for the first time this year, led by Doreen Wells and and impressive faculty of staff.

The prices are steep, but somewhere I think I read that places will be limited to 25 but now I can't find it again.

Also, the application form and requirements look to be based on Yorkshire Ballet Summer School and even mentions the name in the small print, but I don't know whether it's connected, or whether they've just copied their form and not changed the name.

All looks very impressive, but a little steep for my pocket, although it does mention scholarships/bursaries.

http://www.doreenwells.com/#!services2/cnge

I know, maybe it's because of funding cuts elsewhere, people are setting them up as money spinners.

I'm intrigued by the Doreen Wells one though as it seems to have come out of nowhere very late in the day. It does seem quite different to your normal run of the mill summer school.

Just thought I would repost the link to Doreen Wells as she has now loaded a video on the site. I like the sound of her approach and it looks great but there is no way I could afford £950 for a week's residential training at the moment. Would love to hear if anyone is considering it and gets anymore info. 

http://www.doreenwells.com

There is also a facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Doreen-Wells-Ballet-School/477572555642050?hc_location=stream

• Like 1

It doesn't tell us much about the scholarship or bursary awards either. Considering it is a new summer school  it is extremely pricey. It does seem to be taking a very holistic approach to a dancer though interesting.

• 2 months later...

Does anyone know anyone who is on or who went on the new Doreen Wells course? They are now planning xmas and easter courses, according to website. My dd will be doing part of this week of sumer school as we happen to be in the area. Would be good to know of anyone else who may be there...it sounds fascinating from the details on the website.

I keep reading about all these summer schs and feel so lucky that my DDs have been able to attend their dance sch throughout the summer apart from two weeks when they close.

It hasn't cost the earth and they have had excellent tuition also have been able to watch several dress rehearsals of Bolshoi.

• Like 4

I keep reading about all these summer schs and feel so lucky that my DDs have been able to attend their dance sch throughout the summer apart from two weeks when they close.

It hasn't cost the earth and they have had excellent tuition also have been able to watch several dress rehearsals of Bolshoi.

We are also in the same boat. I feel enormously grateful to DDs dance school. They run right through the holidays except the next two weeks and what a privilege to see the Bolshoi dress rehearsals at Covent Garden!! DD used to attend YBSS regularly but not since going to her new dance school. On the subject of the one that costs £1,000 a week or something like that - well, no summer school is worth that, unless they give you a free bag of gold for attending! No matter how good the faculty, premises etc, all that will be available to you elsewhere if you search hard enough plus I believe that if you have talent and a hard work ethic, that's more important than going to a flashy summer school. Fair enough if you have money to burn, but seriously, I wouldn't feel too hard done by if you can't afford to go!

• Like 6