Scottish Ballet auditioning for young dancers

Anna C

This may be of interest to some of you:

"Scottish Ballet is looking for 24 young dancers (boys and girls) aged 12 to 14 years in each of the following cities: Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness, to perform in our brand new production of Hansel & Gretel.

Applicants must be 12 by 1st December 2013 and no older than 14 by 31st January 2014.

Applications must be completed and returned one full week prior to the audition nearest you.

Audition is by invitation only following applications.

Auditions will be held on the following days:

Aberdeen: Sat 18 May from 10.00 am (venue tbc)

Edinburgh: Fri 24 May from 4.00 pm (venue tbc)

Glasgow: Sat 1 June from 10.00 am at Tramway

Inverness: Saturday 7 September from 2.pm (venue tbc)"

http://www.scottishballet.co.uk/careers/hansel-a-gretel-auditions.html

• Like 5

DD's application form completed and sent off. Just need to keep our fingers (toes and eyes) crossed that she'll get to audition.

The H&G auditions for Glasgow take place the week after the Senior Associate auditions - which we're also waiting to hear about an audition for. Was unlucky both Mid Associate years (after LOVING her time in Juniors) so hoping for 'third time lucky' with this one.

Any extra fingers crossed on her behalf would be very much appreciated! :-)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Ooh, I got momentarily excited when I saw they were going to Newcastle but then I realised my DD is too old.

Good luck to all who are in the right age range - hope some of the balletco children get to take up this exciting opportunity.

dancetaximumx2 - sorry I didn't see your post on Friday - I hope you got your application in before closing. We used a 'standing straight with arms at her sides' photograph of DD for this - a copy of the same one actually that went along with the Seniors application. Not heard anything yet re H&G, I understand the letters re auditions will be posted after the holiday weekend so unlikely to hear anything until Wed or Thurs this week I would imagine.

Huge excitement in our house - DD has an audition on Saturday for H&G !!!! :-)

Not only an audition BUT both Eve Mutso AND Christopher Hampson (!!!) will be part of the team taking the auditions (no disrepect to the Education Officers who will also be there obviously!)! DD can hardly contain herself - understandably!

Now she just has to perform on the day - the audition will be a mix of ballet technique and creative sessions, so everything doubly crossed now!!

(apologies for all the ! - can't get emoticons to work from my PC so need someway to show the level of hysteria in our house!!)

• Like 8

Has anyone's dd /ds auditioned for this yet - what did it involve etc and also what parts are available -little sister hoping to get an audition and wanted to know what to expect if she's lucky enough to get the chance to go :-) thanks

Hi tutucute22. My DS auditioned on Saturday and had a great time. Seemed to be a basic ballet class, followed by creative workshop in groups (making shapes with your bodies to tell the story) followed by some dancing from the show.  I don't think they are looking for individual parts although I may be wrong as they didn't tell us. I think height is likely to come into it but again I am guessing. Hope that is of some help.

• Like 1

Ditto Belljul's comments. DD was at the same audition and gave a pretty similar summary. She did also say that they were encouraged to just relax and enjoy the process. She came out of the audition absolutely high as a kite as she had the best time ever - in fact all the auditionees were 'buzzing' when they came out of the studios.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, just short of a month post audition, DD received a No thanks today :( .

DD obviously disappointed, but thoroughly enjoyed the audition and was so glad she went for it.  Apparently they're planning an event in December for the auditionees - no further detail given, but she'll get more info nearer the time.  So thought that was a really nich touch.

Thanks for all your good wishes in advance - I shared them with her and she was really touched that so many of you took the time to do so.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

They don't get told on the day tutucute. We waited about 4 weeks and the offer came by letter. Think they all play generic children (part of a school taught by the witch who is a teacher in disguise). That's how I understood it anyway.