Are there many (September start) Associate schemes that can still be auditioned for

Katymac

there are a few that are still going depends where you are looking, Ballet West normally do their auditions in June i think and some are flexible if you are able to attend a summer school, some like Graham Fletcher's offer to see you in a class instead, its worth giving them a ring and asking :)

London Junior and Senior ballet?

Yes, LJB/LSB usually have an audition date in June and then an additional audition in September (I think). Central hasn't held auditions yet but you'd have to check whether they are still accepting applications. :-)

I think York Scholars' audition may be at the end of this month, 25 May (Yorkshire Ballet Scholarship Centre), although the closing date for applications may have been and gone. If so but York would be convenient, you could always contact them to ask whether they may accept a late application.

Central associate classes are Saturdays. London Studio Centre are setting up an associate scheme, with a taster day and audition day in June and July. They were very keen for applications as a new scheme.

• Like 1

Tring CBA classes are roughly every other Sunday. I *believe* - someone correct me if I'm wrong - that at the moment LJB/LSB classes are on Sundays, just while they are moving premises.

I may have dreamed that bit though. :-)

York Scholars are on a Saturday either morning or afternoon dependent on the age and ability of the child.  Afternoon classess are 12.45 to 3.30pm.  Not sure what the morning ones are but they seem to come out about 12.30 so I assume that they start at 10am.

And (I know this is a daft question) if a child auditions for several associate schemes and happens to get into more than one; do the one they chose not to do get upset or annoyed.....or is it just one of those things?

Hello, I did post on a different thread, but maybe this one is also relevant.

YDA are auditioning in June (for September entry) for their associate programme.  They are based in Shepherd's Bush at the new du Boisson studio and Anna teaches the students.  They have two groups, which I believe are JA and MA ages and many go onto the Royal associate scheme.

And (I know this is a daft question) if a child auditions for several associate schemes and happens to get into more than one; do the one they chose not to do get upset or annoyed.....or is it just one of those things?

My dd was in this position a couple of years ago when she had successfully auditioned for two ballet associate programmes and then was accepted onto a contemporary CAT scheme. After much deliberation she chose the CAT so we had to turn down the other 2 programmes. I wrote to both to explain and didn't get a response from either but one did keep the deposit I had paid. I often wonder if it would affect the outcome if she ever applied for one of their summer schools but like Spanner says I am sure this is a common occurrence. At the end of the day we all do what we think is best for our dc's. :-)

Most places do realise that not every place offered will be accepted, for various reasons. That is why waiting lists came about. It is only really frustrating when people decline places without being honest (I'd much rather someone say "we're declining the place because we've got a place at the CAT and our child wants to be a contemporary dancer", than saying something like "it's too far to travel" - you knew that before! Worse still, though, is when people accept a place then drop out halfway through the year with little or no explanation. You can only keep a waiting list waiting for so long.

While I agree that parents want to do the best for their children I feel that this only really applies if you're auditioning at several, very similar programmes (ie focusing on ballet only or contemporary only) - you can understand only wanting to do one, as it might seem going to several of the same, so having to make a decision over which is right or best for your DD/DS makes sense. However, if you audition at several that are distinctly different (ie one more ballet oriented, one like Chantry or a CAT that is more creative/contemporary and one like MIDAS that includes fitness and elements of jazz) you know what the nature of the course is going to be from the outset - so the argument that you're going for the option that is best for your DS or DD doesn't really make sense, as you would've hopefully known that before auditioning. 

• Like 1

I totally agree about honesty, but honest & rude? or polite & misleading? Some people aren't brave enough to say what they feel.  & the distance one is tricky - you can look at a map, plan the journey but it only really hits when you've done it and you know how you/DD coped/how tired you were after.  Two of the places we have looked at for post 16, DD has rejected - both because the style of teaching isn't quite the way she learns best; if they'd asked I think we would probably be honest.....but they didn't ;)

I think that brings up a question about different styles of teaching; I'm not sure if that's better in a separate thread?

But although I'm asking for DD's friend, if DD were to audition (she is quite happy in her Sunday class) for me the feeling of the place and the way that they teach is perhaps more important than the genre of teaching.  Maybe that's different if you are aiming at 'pure' ballet or contemporary and possibly someone aiming for Musical Theatre may not have the skills to enter the ballet? So maybe it's about the child's focus?

DD has had 3 singing teachers, 2 inspired her and made her feel like she could be great - the other is technically better & teaching more techniqe but there isn't the emotional connection DD seems to need for successful progression.  In the same way with dance schools/teachers, most of you know we left a funded scheme for DD to do one completely different because it wasn't 'quite' right.

But I think my point is that without visiting the associate schemes (& often the only way to do that is at audition) how would you or your child know that one scheme is more suitable than another.

• Like 2

Katymac I agree with you - it is tricky, but again (just to think about the other side of the coin here), can you tell much about somewhere's teaching by only attending an audition? I imagine that most places don't actually do much 'teaching' ie feedback, coaching, etc in the auditions, so the best way to find out if a teacher/teaching style works for you is to watch an open class or join a taster session/Easter course/Summer course and meet the staff properly, but not every place offers these options.

It is a very tricky one to deal with, definitely!

• Like 2

I'm sure they know that people frequently audition for more than one programme, are used to people being offered more than one, and having to turn down their offered place.

You're right, sometimes you can only get a feel of the place once you've auditioned, and then gut instinct is probably the best thing to rely on when making a decision. :)

• Like 1

YDA has just been awarded CDET - ' Recognised Dance Education and Training Status'  by the Council for Dance Education.

It is a fantastic school, run by Anna du Boisson and fellow brilliant teachers.  I cannot recommend it highly enough.

YDA yearly get between 2-5 students into White Lodge!  Also, in the past two years the year 11s have gone to Royal, ENB, Elmhurst, Central, Laines, so the training is obviously working.

Robin64, I've seen my pupil today who auditioned yesterday and she was full of it! She absolutely loved it! Had another pupil audition at Ballet Theatre UK who loved that too! The weather must have made everyone very cheery as both girls commented on the lovely music at both auditions. Fingers crossed for your DD

• Like 2