Press Release: Tamara Rojo Announced In Principal Casting For Swan Lake At Royal Albert Hall

Tamara Rojo Announced In Principal Casting For Swan Lake At Royal Albert Hall

Wednesday 12 June – Saturday 23 June 2013

Press night - Wednesday 12 June 2013, 7:30pm

Tickets: £19.50 - £65            

Box Office: 020 7838 3100 / www.royalalberthall.com

The Principal Casting for English National Ballet’s Swan Lake at the Royal Albert Hall this June will include:

• Tamara Rojo
  • Matthew Golding
  • Laurretta Summerscales

Tamara Rojo will partner Matthew Golding, who makes his debut with the Company, in the lead roles. They will perform together on the opening night, Wednesday June 12, and also Saturday 15 and Tuesday 18 June.

Matthew, Principal with Dutch National Ballet, will appear in the role of Prince Siegfried with English National Ballet’s other Lead Principal pairings; Vadim Muntagirov and Daria Klimentova, Dmitiri Gruzdyev and Fernanada Oliviera, Erina Takahashi and Zdenek Konvalina.

Laurretta Summerscales, will make her debut appearance in the Odette/Odile role, with Arionel Vargas. Laurretta, a 22 year old former pupil of English National Ballet School, won this years’ Emerging Dancer Competition People’s Choice Award, where she performed the Black Swan solo in the Swan Lake Act III pas de deux.

English National Ballet Artistic Director Tamara Rojo said: “I joined English National Ballet as a young dancer on the opening night of the first Swan Lake in-the-round in 1997. I had never seen anything so beautiful, and as I watched the rows of swans moving in unison, like a Busby Berkeley movie, I felt I was witnessing ballet reaching out to fresh a new audience. I am proud to continue this work by presenting and dancing in this production that has reached, as well as moved, over 550,000 people worldwide.”

Raymond Gubbay and the Royal Albert Hall will present English National Ballet at the Royal Albert Hall, with Derek Deane’s lavish in-the-round production of Swan Lake – the largest production of its kind in the world and London’s dance event of the summer.

This will be the seventh sensational season in which this ballet has been performed in-the-round. Featuring more than 120 dancers on stage, this production has delighted audiences around the world and has been seen by nearly 550,000 people since its premiere in May 1997.  Derek Deane’s staging of Swan Lake has proved to be a phenomenon and offers audiences a spectacular theatrical experience. Rows of swans move in unison across the stage and the athleticism of the dancers is tested to the full in this spectacular production.

Set to Tchaikovsky’s classic score, played by an orchestra of more than 80 musicians, this magnificent production features acrobats, jugglers and 60 swans gliding across the arena within the magical splendour of the Royal Albert Hall. The dramatic narrative of Prince Siegfried’s fight for the love of the queen of the swans, Odette is told through sumptuous costume designs and choreography that uses the space to great effect. Set design is by Peter Farmer and lighting by Howard Harrison.

English National Ballet is delighted to be performing this classic production at the close of Tamara Rojo’s first season as Artistic Director. The production represents many of the Company’s key values, taking classical ballet of the highest quality to the widest possible audience, at a price everyone can afford.

Charm and style with a dash of showbiz pizzazz

The Sunday Express

Principal Casting

12.06.2013 - Rojo, Golding, Streeter

13.06.2013 - Klimentova, Muntagirov, Streeter

14.06.2013 - Takahashi, Konvalina, Reimair

15.06.2013 - Oliveira, Gruzdyev, Atymatyev  (mat)

15.06.2013 - Rojo, Golding, Streeter  (eve)

16.06.2013 - Takahashi, Konvalina, Reimair

18.06.2013 - Rojo, Golding, Streeter

19.06.2013 - Klimentova, Muntagirov, Streeter

20.06.2013 - Summerscales, Vargas, Streeter

20.06.2013 - Oliveira, Gruzdyev, Atymatyev

21.06.2013 - Takahashi, Konvalina, Reimair

22.06.2013 - Summerscales, Vargas, Streeter

22.06.2013 - Klimentova, Muntagirov, Streeter

23.06.2013 - Oliveira, Gruzdyev, Atymatyev

Listings

Venue - Royal Albert Hall, Kensington Gore, London SW7 2AP

Box Office - 020 7838 3100

Online booking - www.royalalberthall.com

12 – 23 June 7.30pm

15, 16, 20 & 23 June 2.30pm

• Like 3

Ditto Begoña Cao.  It was always on the cards that Ms Rojo's intention to keep dancing would affect the other female Principals, of whom there were already sufficient for the performances on offer.  So how long can that last without something/someone giving?

• Like 3

I am somewhat surprised to see Elena Glurdjidze missing from the casting?

Yes, alas - and the more so since hers is the face on all the (traditional) publicity for Swan Lake at the RAH.

Incidentally, Elena has just performed Marguerite to Ivan Putrov's Armand in Tbilisi, Georgia. It was a beautifully danced and absolutely heart-rending interpetation which had both her and her audience in tears. What an amazing artiste she is; what a privilege to have been there for this glorious debut.

• Like 4

Assuming that the text posted by Janet above is what was issued by ENB, it is also surprising that the Company continues to focus so much (in press releases, news stories etc.) on Tamara's performances. Judging by those sitting nearby at many shows attended there, the potential audience for the Albert Hall tends to be predominantly coach parties attracted by  'Swan Lake' as part of a trip to London. 'Names' do not matter much to them. Tamara fans apart, balletomanes seem to want to book for other favourites or dancers less familiar to them. And the fact that the production is selling so well surely offers an opportunity to put the Company and other Principals in the spotlight - as has, of course, been done with Laurretta.

• Like 1

There has been an article in the standard about Lauretta's casting. Personally I would have loved to have seen Elena; such a beautiful dancer.

From Daria's point of view it's probably nice that Rojo is dancing with Golding, giving Daria the chance to dance with Vadim again.

• Like 1

Charm and style with a dash of showbiz pizzazz

The Sunday Express

Swan Lake???!!!

Not sure about the prices everyone can afford, either, since I don't think you can actually purchase a ticket for under £20, which is more than my usual target.

• Like 1

To be fair, we don't know the reasons behind the casting. Perhaps Elena didn't want to dance Swan Lake this time.

Capybara, was this the first time that Elena had danced M&A and did she dance in Raymonda as well? Perhaps we'll see her dance in Raymonda in London in July. Elena has danced with Ivan a few times now. I wonder whether we'll see him dance with ENB again.

was this the first time that Elena had danced M&A and did she dance in Raymonda as well? Perhaps we'll see her dance in Raymonda in London in July. Elena has danced with Ivan a few times now. I wonder whether we'll see him dance with ENB again.

Yes, it was Elena's debut in M&A and she also danced Raymonda Act III. Her solo in the pdd was exquisite. Such delicate, speedy bourrees; such epaulement!

I am trying to resist the temptation to comment on Ivan's performance as it is 'off topic'. However, it will not surprise those familiar with his dancing to know that his acting as Armand was superb

• Like 2

Actually, I don't remember him as being a particularly strong actor when he was at the RB, so count me as (slightly) surprised :)

Capybara, you could always start a new thread to report on the performance, if you felt like it.

• Like 2

Begona Cao is on leave of absence so that is the reason she is not dancing.  Elena is perfectly healthy so it seems that she is the one to forfeit her performances this time (happened to Sarah McIlroy last time at the Albert Hall).  I expect the new staff don't realise what a big following Elena has and it might be worth a few people writing in to express regret that she is not dancing.. Having previously looked at the RAH website, the performances had already sold extremely well even before the casting was announced so, as capybara says, 'names' do not matter to a lot of the audience members for these performances and therefore I do wonder why a guest artist is being brought in to dance Siegfried on the opening night. There are some excellent young men in the company who could partner Tamara Rojo (Esteban Berlanga has done so on several occasions now), highlighting the strength of the company, and still leave Vadim Muntagirov to partner Daria Klimentova. 

• Like 3

Begona Cao is on leave of absence so that is the reason she is not dancing.  Elena is perfectly healthy so it seems that she is the one to forfeit her performances this time (happened to Sarah McIlroy last time at the Albert Hall).  I expect the new staff don't realise what a big following Elena has and it might be worth a few people writing in to express regret that she is not dancing.. Having previously looked at the RAH website, the performances had already sold extremely well even before the casting was announced so, as capybara says, 'names' do not matter to a lot of the audience members for these performances and therefore I do wonder why a guest artist is being brought in to dance Siegfried on the opening night. There are some excellent young men in the company who could partner Tamara Rojo (Esteban Berlanga has done so on several occasions now), highlighting the strength of the company, and still leave Vadim Muntagirov to partner Daria Klimentova. 

While I completely agree with what you say about the excellent young men in the company, there has always been a tradition of having at least one guest for the opening night of the ENB RAH Summer Season.  Polina Semionova has guested on more than one occasion.  I also remember Zakharova appearing in the Swan Lake in the round 10 or 11 years ago and  Friedemann Vogel and Alicia Amatriain in Romeo and Juliet in 2005.  These are just the ones I remember.  There are probably more.

Having said all that, I am also extremely disappointed that Elena is absent from the casting.  Like Marianela Nuñez in the Royal Ballet, she's a dancer who seems to get better every time one sees her.  She will be sorely missed from this RAH season.

Edited to add that, a few years ago,  Tamara, herself, was a guest at the opening of the ENB Strictly Gershwin season at the RAH, partnered by another guest, Guillaume Côté

Edited by Bluebird

I'm aware of the policy of having guest artists but I don't know why it is deemed necessary, especially when one remembers the debacle last time when Semionova's visa didn't arrive in time so Daria Klimentova opened the season with Vadim Muntagirov to great acclaim (not to mention helping to bring the company to the general public's attention by providing the basis for the first episode of "Agony & Ecstasy"!). With the company trying to deal with a smaller grant from the Arts Council, it does seem a waste of money to bring in a guest artist for a programme that will sell anyway.

• Like 1

I'm aware of the policy of having guest artists but I don't know why it is deemed necessary, especially when one remembers the debacle last time .......

I asked this question of Derek Deane at a 'MasterClass' evening at ENB and he responded (using Polina Semionova as an example) to the effect that he wanted the Company to be able to see, experience and dance with the very best. It was also intimated that Raymond Gubbay the promoter liked to have guest stars for publicity purposes. Given the mixed reviews that Matthew Golding is receiving on the La Bayadere thread here, it will be interesting to see whether the policy proves to be beneficial artistically and good value for money this time around. 

The exclusion of Elena Glurdjidze is beyond comprehension and at this moment I am feeling very angry about it..

Most Directors have their own favourites... (who are not always the favourites of the audience).

It may not be Tamara's decision to bring in a guest artist. Raymond Gubbay and/or Derek Deane may have insisted upon this. Whatever one feels about guest artists, in this instance I think that it is fortuitous that ENB has engaged Matthew Golding. Zdenek has had a long term injury and Vadim has also been injured recently. Either or both may not be fit enough for Swan Lake, which would present serious casting problems in one of ENB's flagship productions without another senior male dancer being available. Of course, I'm not suggesting that Matthew has only been brought in as a back up, and many people are looking forward to seeing him in the role of Siegfried. He certainly has the princely form for it. Does anyone know if Tamara has danced with him before?

Nothing against Tamara of course, but it is important that ENB marketing keeps hold of the fact that it has several artistes of world class and renown - for example (in alphabetical order): Daria, Dima, Elena, Erina, Vadim and Zdenek - and many 'up and coming' dancers who are exciting interest - such as (again in alphabetical order) Guilherme, Junor, Ken, Ksenia, Laurretta and Nancy. Such a collection of riches needs to be fully exploited.

Edited by capybara
  • Like 6

Perhaps it should be noted for all those who have bemoaned the fact that there are so few British principal dancers at present that all the up and coming dancers capybara mentions above trained at English National Ballet School and have chosen to remain in this country.  Perhaps we should all rejoice in the fact that the UK offers such wonderful training that we attract top level students from all over the world, many of whom go on to give us many years of pleasure by dancing with UK companies.  One such example in ENB is Erina Takahashi who trained at ENBS and has spent her whole career with ENB.

• Like 6

Perhaps it should be noted for all those who have bemoaned the fact that there are so few British principal dancers at present that all the up and coming dancers capybara mentions above trained at English National Ballet School and have chosen to remain in this country.  Perhaps we should all rejoice in the fact that the UK offers such wonderful training that we attract top level students from all over the world, many of whom go on to give us many years of pleasure by dancing with UK companies.  One such example in ENB is Erina Takahashi who trained at ENBS and has spent her whole career with ENB.

I know this is about the ENB but the situation is similar at The Royal Ballet. Several upcoming dancers there all trained at the RBSchool: some only at the Upper School but several are fully (Lower and Upper School) RBS trained. The future for British trained dancers is looking good :)

• Like 3

Most Directors have their own favourites... (who are not always the favourites of the audience).

But with a dancer of the calibre of Glurdijze, surely favouritism should be outweighed by the exceptional quality of her dancing?

But with a dancer of the calibre of Glurdijze, surely favouritism should be outweighed by the exceptional quality of her dancing?

"Favouritism" is such an emotive term. We all have different taste and we would all choose slightly different dancers to lead a company and for any given role. New dancers also need to be developed. It's sad when our own favourites don't always get what we think they deserve. But that's life and taste.

Personally I think its great to see a director thinking ahead and introducing new blood in what is a huge series or regular shows for them.

• Like 1

Personally I think its great to see a director thinking ahead and introducing new blood in what is a huge series or regular shows for them.

I agree entirely but perhaps in this case the director might have sacrificed one of her own performances, after all isn't her job to direct?

Unless someone has inside information about the casting, we really don't know why Elena is not dancing in Swan Lake. It may be her decision that she is not dancing. I certainly hope that we will be seeing her in a prominent role in July. Elena seems to have lots of other projects on the go, and I hope that I'm not offending her or her many admirers by saying that she may now be putting things in place for when she stops performing full-time and, after a long career and many performances of the big blockbusters, only dancing the roles which she really wants to dance.