Company auditions help

Boyballetdancer

Hello , my son is currently in year 13 at a full time ballet school. This time next year he will be looking to audition for the big wide world that the last 6 years of full time training has brought him to. Unfortunately I know very little about all of this and don’t want him to miss out on auditions so I’m being a year ahead of looking. Can anyone recommend companies he can audition for next year when he’s in his last year of training, me and him are both very nervous incase he gets no where and we don’t want to miss auditions etc. Nobody at the school particularly talks about it all and not do the parents so it’s a case of finding out yourself. I’ve told him to also look abroad but maybe someone here can recommend some fab companies to look at, I’d be very grateful for any advice . Thanks 😊 

Edited by Boyballetdancer
Mis spelt

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of Luck to your son!

Basically the competition is crazy so try to apply for as many as you can. Making sure you prepare your audition video well in advance and the solos. Needs to be super professional. Sometimes they want a specific solo. Looking continually on instagram at the Companies will let you know when the auditions take place. Most seem to be from November to April. Some that have been recommended to me are all the Scandi ones - Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, and Hungarian, Prague, Houston. San Francisco has a great junior company as does NBC (Canada) Scottish Ballet, Northern and ENB of course. There are lots! Especially in Europe and Eastern Europe. Paris Opera invite lots of auditionees but only ever take from Paris Opera. I would beware of paying to become part of a junior company which seems to be a thing now.  There seems to be lots of bad experiences from this. 

• Like 2

The Grand Audition ( Barcelona 2024) 

would be a definite. Many Company Directors attend these ( list on website). Usually, there are a couple  of these auditions per year - one in Western Europe and one in Eastern Europe. Not sure if this is still the case.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think that it's great that you are starting to look into this now, so that you are ahead of the curve for next year.

It is a long time since my dd was auditioning, so my advice may be out of date, but here are a few thoughts:

1. Firstly and I think most importantly - apply for / audition for as many things as he can. Firstly the more audition experience he has the easier they should become, secondly the competition is tough, so the more you try for the greater the chances. Also if you've got other irons in the fire the rejections are a little easier (not saying he's definitely going to get lots of rejections, but it's as well to be prepared!)

2. Some companies advertise their auditions on their website. I think Northern Ballet usually do this - with the advert going up in October for auditions in January / February. Rambert Dance Company currently have audition advert up for auditions which were over last weekend. 

3. Some companies advertise in magazines such as Dance Europe, or The Stage. Both of these have web versions so you don't need to buy the actual magazine, but you may need to subscribe, I'm not sure. I expect these days a lot gets advertised on social media as well.

4. For some companies there is a pre-selection process where you send a CV and photos (sometimes a show reel) and they chose who they want to see. Some are open auditions which can be quite daunting at first I think. My dd went to one open audition where after the pliés the artistic director declared there were too many people in the studio and told everyone on the left hand side to leave. She jumped on a tube and went to another open audition the same day.

5. Definitely look at overseas companies, although getting work permits for European companies may not be as easy as it used to be. Getting a work visa to dance onland in the USA has always been very difficult (not a problem for cruise ships as they need a different type of visa)

6. Suggest that he thinks about whether he would consider jobs which aren't pure ballet eg Musicals, Cruise Ships, Commercial Dance, Cirque du Soleil, Disney. 

7. Consider whether a Graduate Programme such as the one run by Northern Ballet could be a good thing for him, and whether you could afford it.

8. He will need to create a dance CV, have professional photos done and make a film. It's worth planning these well in advance (maybe during next summer) so he is all set to go as soon as he sees things he wants to apply for.  As an indication of what companies are likely to ask for take a look at :https://iapguidelines.squarespace.com

9. Be prepared that audition year can be expensive in terms of travel. My dd did auditions in The Netherlands, Portugal, Italy, Germany and many in London. My dd had a part time job and saved hard in her 2nd year, and had enough saved for all the auditions she wanted to go to. Some of her friends had to restrict what they applied for because they couldn't afford to travel to the auditions.

I hope this helps. Good luck to your son.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If your son is on Instagram there are lots of audition accounts that will advertise auditions that companies have posted. They tend to have the same auditions popping up on each.

@audition_company_2023 (the year date seems to change each year)

@danceauditionss

@auditionsballet

@openauditions

@industryauditions

My dd also started to follow lots of companies that she was interested in to see if any were  advertising for dancers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few days after Grand Audition is held in Barcelona in early February, YAGP usually holds a job fair in Stuttgart. If your son is graduating from a YAGP affiliated school (one that recruits from YAGP, basically), he can automatically attend, otherwise I believe they use audition videos to screen potential attendees. (They also do one in Nashville, in the US, but I’m assuming Germany would be more convenient). A lot of company directors from the US and Europe attend.

I wouldn’t rule out junior companies. Most are tuition-free and provide stipends. They often tour and have choreographers come to set new works on them and also give the dancers opportunities to dance with the main company. This is different than post-grad trainee programs that require tuition. I know of almost no dancers that go straight from school into a main company.

• Like 1

Hit the ground running in the September of 6:3. Photos and footage straight away as some companies advertise early. I’ve had a son and daughter both graduate from their ballet school and secure contracts. The school didn’t help much, things might have changed now. We did the research and worked it out by ourselves. We found that the students and parents all start to play their cards close to their chest and not share information about opportunities. 
Apply for everything, cast your net as wide as you can. The percentage of auditions from applications is very small. And never expect to get a reply. 
My children had a list of companies from Wikipedia 🤣 and they just worked their way through them. Spend the summer preparing and if you are thinking of an intensive then, look at the ones with companies attached. My sons ballet company in Europe is currently advertising for boys for an immediate start. This happens occasionally and can be an opportunity if you don’t mind leaving school early. I know of some that have and it paid off. 
Finding a friend in the year above is useful, they will share information as they aren’t in direct competition.

It’s hard work 😓 Be unique with your CV. You need him to stand out. Don’t start your footage with barre …….

I could waffle on 🤣 

I’m happy to answer any questions too 😊 I remember how tough it was x

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I think some of you ‘been there done it, got the Tutu’ parents should set up as advisor/recruitment agents!

It’s making me realise just how out of my depth & how naive I was….I kind of assumed the schools would actually deliver on what they say at open days - ha ha ha! Lifeafterballet puts it so well…the keeping quiet rings true! 

But there are those out there who do share info & opportunities do come up….

I do believe in Karma too…

And the old adage of ‘be nice to those whilst on the way up’ as they will see you on the way down! And you never know who/what/where…

Mine got a small one off gig simply by one person from a former school in another year recommending her because ‘she was the only dancer she liked’. Kindness goes a long way….might not pay dividends immediately but important for the long game…

Sorry, but off topic…

You are right to take it upon yourself to research….it should of course be the dancer themselves but they are terribly busy with school/exams/classes/

assessments/projects/shows (not to mention TikTok/Snapchat/Instagram etc etc etc 😂

Good luck!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I would also push back on your school - they are the ones with the contacts, and the ones who want to shout your DS's success on their website.

3 months into what would once have been a simple process, I would also get all the paperwork ready for acros/work permits/passports etc, and locate the experts you might need.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My DD’s school is super helpful in the process—they consider it their job and part of what we are paying for. This is a school in Europe. I know of some in the US that help, but most do not. We are fortunate that DD’s school not only helps with the CV, but has a photographer and a videographer that they use and they schedule the time slots for the students. They have specific class for the dancers to choreograph their contemporary piece with help from teachers. They have classes where they work on their chosen classical variation for their audition video as well. It’s going to be a stressful year but it is a huge relief to know that people with much better knowledge of the process are guiding my DD.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are some good groups on Facebook. They are mainly US based but do sometimes discuss opportunities in Europe and U.K. Marcy North is a very knowledgeable member in this group: https://m.facebook.com/groups/parentsatthebarre/?ref=share

She has a son who is a professional in the US. You can DM her for some useful information about auditions/companies. Her son runs his own platform called Ballet scout.

• Like 1

On 23/10/2023 at 21:32, Ruby Foo said:

Paris Opera invite lots of auditionees but only ever take from Paris Opera.

That's not accurate.

Paris Opéra Ballet has two entry auditions: the internal one for students at their school, and the external one open to anyone from anywhere, including unsuccessful candidates from the internal audition!

Current étoiles (all three of whom trained elsewhere and in two cases danced professionally before attempting the Paris audition) who entered the company through the external audition are Ludmila Pagliero, Park Sae-Eun, and Hannah O'Neill.

In 2022 the sole female dancer awarded a full contract had been a principal at Pennsylvania since 2016, and started at the bottom again in Paris in 2020 with short-term contracts. The top ranked man (of two engaged) had danced with Boston for some years.

So @Boyballetdancer if your DC decides Paris is an option, it's not impossible.

• Like 3

On 26/10/2023 at 14:28, Sophoife said:

That's not accurate.

Paris Opéra Ballet has two entry auditions: the internal one for students at their school, and the external one open to anyone from anywhere, including unsuccessful candidates from the internal audition!

Current étoiles (all three of whom trained elsewhere and in two cases danced professionally before attempting the Paris audition) who entered the company through the external audition are Ludmila Pagliero, Park Sae-Eun, and Hannah O'Neill.

In 2022 the sole female dancer awarded a full contract had been a principal at Pennsylvania since 2016, and started at the bottom again in Paris in 2020 with short-term contracts. The top ranked man (of two engaged) had danced with Boston for some years.

So @Boyballetdancer if your DC decides Paris is an option, it's not impossible.

Thank you for your correction Sophoife.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ruby Foo said:

http://EllisonBallet.org

Ellison have, what looks like a great preparation summer programme for potential auditonees including a variations intensive.

I know they're a bit old, but if you do a search on this site the reviews for Ellison Ballet summer schools are rather positive! 

And @Ruby Foo I didn't mean it as a "correction", sorry if you saw it that way, I meant it as an expansion. That's why I said your comment was "not accurate", rather than "wrong". Because yes, POB take their own first, at the internal audition. Sometimes they take their own at the external one, too, but they do take complete outsiders as well. Who then, of course, have to work massively to absorb "le style parisien" (I'm told the parts of the TV series L'Opéra  showing the étoile coaching the seasonal contract holder in company style are accurate).

• 1 month later...

Northern Ballet are currently hiring dancers to start in the 2024-5 season, at corps level and soloist level. Closing date 19 Jan 2024- see company website for information. (A student can apply in their last year of dance school in order to have a job lined up to start soon after graduation.) Auditions by invitation only, in late February, and possibly late March. 

Edited by Emeralds

I would also recommend searching for audition postings this year so you can get an idea of what companies or junior companies require for their auditions so you can be prepared next year. For companies that use video submissions as a pre-selection for auditions, many now use the International Pre-Selection Guidelines (IAP). This was established so that dancers wouldn’t have to make a lot of different videos for different companies. It’s also helpful that some post minimum or maximum heights if your dancer happens to be particularly tall or short. (For example Bayerische Junior Ballet Munich just posted their auditions and the minimum height for ladies is 1.68m and for men is 1.82m).

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Birdy said:

I would also recommend searching for audition postings this year so you can get an idea of what companies or junior companies require for their auditions so you can be prepared next year. For companies that use video submissions as a pre-selection for auditions, many now use the International Pre-Selection Guidelines (IAP). This was established so that dancers wouldn’t have to make a lot of different videos for different companies. It’s also helpful that some post minimum or maximum heights if your dancer happens to be particularly tall or short. (For example Bayerische Junior Ballet Munich just posted their auditions and the minimum height for ladies is 1.68m and for men is 1.82m).

My daughters height varied from 160 to 163cm during her auditions 🤣 

My son went to an invitation only European audition where he was truthfully the minimum height and half the boys there were shorter than him 🤣 

• Like 3

Yes, I’ve noticed that the height requirements aren’t always set in stone, but they are definitely a helpful guide if you are really tall or really short. I think for really tall girls it is tougher to get into a shorter company and for really short boys it is tougher to get into a taller company. And of course the company needs may change depending on the size of dancers who have recently received contracts.

I do miss the days of good old ‘open audition calls’ without video pre-selection…. Yes, I know it could save dancers potentially thousands of pounds in travel etc but I still feel that the audition pool can get small & miss out on those who struggle to have the support (money/studio use/teacher assistance etc) to prep a decent video & also those who lack the self belief & the ability to objectively see a video of themselves as being ‘good enough’ to send out. Plus that special ‘stage presence’ or hunger to be hired can never truly show up in the tiny video clip they may watch before putting you in the invite to audition or the outright no piles. Also, dancers I am sure only travel to auditions if they have truly researched the company & job & feel it’s right for them. Plus gaining ‘in the flesh’ audition experience is invaluable & if it’s the same pool who come across well in video & get audition invites then many miss out on gaining that experience & the dance company directors potentially miss out on seeing the wider variety out there & then we audience likewise miss out on variety & possibly some true talent is just lost to us all….

This could also help explain why there is a seemingly endless supply of rather bland 

overly similar dancers…. Just IMHO… 

Fewer risks taken these days & fewer ‘break the mould’ types to stand out & make us go ‘wow’! 

• Like 8

On the other hand, decades ago, when I was auditioning for classical companies in UK and Europe there was no pre-election so there were too many people. The worst would be when a cut was made before the class even started. Then throughout the barre after each exercise some dancers would be asked to leave. Less than half those who were auditioning made it to the centre work. Then again cuts were made after every few exercises. Would you really want to return to this? No too bad if a location is within easy reach, but you could spend lots on travel and hotels which was wasted.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

On the other hand, decades ago, when I was auditioning for classical companies in UK and Europe there was no pre-election so there were too many people. The worst would be when a cut was made before the class even started. Then throughout the barre after each exercise some dancers would be asked to leave. Less than half those who were auditioning made it to the centre work. Then again cuts were made after every few exercises. Would you really want to return to this? No too bad if a location is within easy reach, but you could spend lots on travel and hotels which was wasted.

This happened at most of the pre selected auditions that my children attended ☹️ As you mentioned, you spend so so much on travel and accommodation and then to get asked to leave before the first exercise is heartbreaking 💔 

They never did an open one, but I imagine that to be a nightmare. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lifeafterballet said:

This happened at most of the pre selected auditions that my children attended ☹️ As you mentioned, you spend so so much on travel and accommodation and then to get asked to leave before the first exercise is heartbreaking 💔 

They never did an open one, but I imagine that to be a nightmare. 

Yes, it still happens at pre-selection too! 
I can hear the phrase ‘character building’ being shouted out - ha ha! 
Maybe the system of audition tours that USA companies/schools adopt could be more of a thing? And I seem to recall a thing called ‘Grand Audition’ whereby you could go do a day/few days (?) & be seen by several company directors? Trouble can be with some of these things that they become a bit of a jamboree & money making opportunity & also likely have the same people who are judges at the big comps attend (they seem to all like all expenses paid overseas trips! 🤔)

And so it always seems to come down to money… money to train to be high enough standard, money to coach in solos, money to have photo shoots, money to hire studios & videographers, money for flights & hotels & food to fly all over the world to attend any auditions you get invited to… & the money to be able to have the time to do this (ie. most likely not working or able to afford to be in flexible work where you can disappear at the drop of a hat - well, that’s probs part time hospitality & let’s face it unlikely to cover rent, travel, food, regular dance classes let alone the other costs listed above…!) 

A solution?? Well, I think if only companies could move away from feeling they have to be ‘international’ could be a bit of a start…. And to have governments policies reflect this… ie. to remove the crazy ease to hire overseas dancers when our homegrown ones are unable to even get seen at audition…(& I agree that overseas countries should do this too). Certainly at entry level. I get the whole international guest artist or soloist etc but think visas to work should require that only at a certain level should overseas recruitment be allowed (incidentally, maybe the new ‘minimum £38K I think it is a year salary for overseas work visa to UK might by default actually enable this as I’m pretty sure a corps member in any UK company is unlikely to earn that much…?) 

In UK I certainly think much if this having ‘foreign talent’ is a hang over from the early days of British ballet when dancers were encouraged to change name to sound ‘foreign’ with the idea that the best dancers all came from Russia etc…(Margot Fonteyn was Peggy something I think?) & so audiences ‘trusted’ foreign dancers to be worth paying money to see….when all they had to go on was advance marketing by way of posters on walls & adverts in newspapers I kind of get that….and people wanted excitement away from the norm…. But now? With all the possibility to see people & companies in advance on TV, online & share reviews & knowledge, this is not at all needed. 
Wouldn’t it be truly fab for instance if London City Ballet actually has UK dancers? And English National Ballet surely too???!!! 

• Like 6

I can tell you that there are actors in America asking why Hollywood keeps casting so many people from the UK not just in film but also in television here. (They even hired a Brit to play Martin Luther King). I think most countries will always have international diversity in the arts. There doesn’t seem to be the same standard of showing that there wasn’t any local talent that could fill the position.

2 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

But as the official list says there is a shortage of dancers, does the salary level still count?

Rather laughable isn’t it I say ‘shortage’…. One thought of course is that the shortage refers to filling male dance positions not of course sex discrimination would prevent stating that & so by opening up to gain enough male dancers actually also opens the door to hiring international female identifying also. And I guess who can blame a director for taking the best on offer…& let’s face it, international training seems to create more advanced & with very polished solo presentation skills (often gained through doing the comp route) And it’s this high standard & skilful solos that come across well in videos to get selected to audition…. So again, some are disadvantaged as don’t have opportunity to train in same manner (& it could be deemed illegal here as we expect academic education far longer than seems ok for some overseas training). I do also wonder though how well a dancer with supersonic skills dancing principal level solos at comps can ever settle into being just 3rd from left, back row of corps de ballet in the classics for maybe years on end? 

From what I know there are a higher percentage of British boys at the top UK upper schools than there are girls so it seems that the lack of British dancers is actually girls. This is even true of the Royal Ballet Upper School. We need to help our British girls reach their potential, there  is just as much talent here as in France who have a very high percentage of home grown talent. It looks as though the shortage list might be abolished.
I have noticed more British dancers are taking part in YAGP Paris this year and with greater success so maybe a greater number of girls will start to be taken seriously on the international circuit. I agree with @Peanut68 that being in the corps must be very hard after all the glory and attention of winning a competition. Makes me wonder how companies in the future will look if the individuals don’t have the humility to work in a team. Julie Joyner in her interview mentioned being a “ballet star” upon joining the Royal Ballet! 

• Like 3

On 23/10/2023 at 22:14, Peanut68 said:

I think some of you ‘been there done it, got the Tutu’ parents should set up as advisor/recruitment agents!

It’s making me realise just how out of my depth & how naive I was….I kind of assumed the schools would actually deliver on what they say at open days - ha ha ha! Lifeafterballet puts it so well…the keeping quiet rings true! 

But there are those out there who do share info & opportunities do come up….

I do believe in Karma too…

And the old adage of ‘be nice to those whilst on the way up’ as they will see you on the way down! And you never know who/what/where…

Mine got a small one off gig simply by one person from a former school in another year recommending her because ‘she was the only dancer she liked’. Kindness goes a long way….might not pay dividends immediately but important for the long game…

Sorry, but off topic…

You are right to take it upon yourself to research….it should of course be the dancer themselves but they are terribly busy with school/exams/classes/

assessments/projects/shows (not to mention TikTok/Snapchat/Instagram etc etc etc 😂

Good luck!

It is a lot easier if you hold a European passport. As a UK passport holder the visa application process can be painful since Brexit 

48 minutes ago, mumtotwoballerinas said:

It is a lot easier if you hold a European passport. As a UK passport holder the visa application process can be painful since Brexit 

In our experience American and Japanese dancers for example, don’t seem to be deterred from getting a contract and a visa for European companies so why is it so difficult for the British ? 
My son has been in a European Ballet company for 3 years now and it was a relatively easy process to get a visa. The company guided him on what he needed to do. 

My DD knows UK passport holders in junior companies in the Netherlands, Germany and Finland right now and none of them had any particular trouble getting visas. Obviously it is an extra process since Brexit, but it hasn’t been a barrier to them getting contracts.