'Nijinsky misrepresented'

I went yesterday to the National Gallery exhibition "After Impressionism: Inventing Modern Art".  

In the second room, they are displaying Gauguin's sculpture, carved from a length of wood, Afternoon of a Faun, which was his response to Mallarmé's poem, a few years before Debussy or Nijinsky.  The circular sculpture is well-displayed and you can see every angle of it quite easily.  The style is influenced by Gauguin's experiences of "primitive" Polynesia.

It has been loaned by the Stephane Mallarmé Museum in Seine-et-Marne département and this is a rare opportunity to see it in London.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Oh thanks for that I will definitely try to get there if it’s on for a few more weeks.  
I think the Faunes in Mallarmes world are of a more innocent (though still capable of a bit of lusting lol) nature  than the Satyrs often looking a bit similar and more associated with the God Pan but a little more knowing and on the side of a “good time” which may not end so innocently lol. 

Im not really into the classics that much but am still fascinated as to why Mallarme would want to conjure up this Faune for his poem. 

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Can I ask if this an exhibition you need to book/pay fee for!

'Fraid so, unless a member, aren't exhibitions bloomin' expensive now? Looks good though thanks @li tai poand hopefully not so crowded you can't see the artworks! 

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhibitions/after-impressionism-inventing-modern-art

This does look really good but it finishes on Aug 13th so looks like I will have to miss it ….annoying as have a whole week in London from Aug 14th when I’m next up so would have been ideal then. Sometimes they do extend exhibitions though so will keep an eye out. 

I'm under the impression that John Canko did a version of this ballet, is that correct?  A google search bought nothing up.  I have seen a picture where the caption says Cranko's Faun and I am curious.

13 hours ago, MAB said:

I'm under the impression that John Canko did a version of this ballet, is that correct?  A google search bought nothing up.  I have seen a picture where the caption says Cranko's Faun and I am curious.

No he didn't. I just checked the list of works in Ashley Killar's new biography, no Faun except for the mentioned "L'Après-midi d'Emily Wigginbotham", which was set to music by John Lanchbery and seemed to be some kind of parody with a faun mask in a museum - maybe it was a photo of that you saw? Cranko used Debussy music for "Brouillards" (piano music), "Children's Corner" (or Morceaux enfantins) and for his very last piece "Green" (Fantaisie pour piano et orchestre), but never the Faune music.  

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2023 at 08:58, Ondine said:

'Fraid so, unless a member, aren't exhibitions bloomin' expensive now? Looks good though thanks @li tai poand hopefully not so crowded you can't see the artworks! 

https://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/exhibitions/after-impressionism-inventing-modern-art

Really would’ve loved to tie a visit to this in with TAB at ROH this weekend but at £27 each just not doable…. Had no idea it could be so pricey to see an individual exhibition in a public ‘free admission’ gallery. I’d expected c.£12-15 a ticket which I would’ve been fine with  but over £25 each? Wow! 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

Really would’ve loved to tie a visit to this in with TAB at ROH this weekend but at £27 each just not doable…. Had no idea it could be so pricey to see an individual exhibition in a public ‘free admission’ gallery. I’d expected c.£12-15 a ticket which I would’ve been fine with  but over £25 each? Wow! 

It's a bit like the ROH ticket prices - I used to go to most of the paid exhibitions at the big galleries/museums, but they're now so expensive that it's an occasional one-off for something that I feel I really can't miss. Very sad.

• Like 7

I've stopped going to museums too because of the cost, although I did buy a £24 ticket for the new Chanel exhibition at the V and A, discounts for seniors stopped long ago which was surely a wrong move!

Edited by Beryl H
Presentation
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, Peanut68 said:

I haven't been to a London art exhibition for a few years & when recently I looked up a Rossetti exhibition at Tate Britain that I saw mentioned on Twitter I was horrified to find it was £22. I can see a West End show for only a few pounds more than that & there I get to sit down!

• Like 2

If you go to/want to go to quite a few exhibitions every year it's worth considering the National Art Pass: costs £75 (less for the first year if you sign up for direct debit) and gets you 50% off exhibitions at most of the majors* and free admission to some places that normally charge, such as the Courtauld.

*The Royal Academy is the main exception I can think of: usually only a measly couple of quid off and they're generally pretty expensive in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 03/08/2023 at 09:46, LinMM said:

This does look really good but it finishes on Aug 13th so looks like I will have to miss it ….annoying as have a whole week in London from Aug 14th when I’m next up so would have been ideal then. Sometimes they do extend exhibitions though so will keep an eye out. 

I would certainly recommend it. There are discounts available. I'm a member of the Art Fund and my ticket was £13.50 rather than £27.00

https://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/27884-after-impressionism-inventing-modern-art/

Edited by MJW
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

If you go to/want to go to quite a few exhibitions every year it's worth considering the National Art Pass: costs £75 (less for the first year if you sign up for direct debit) and gets you 50% off exhibitions at most of the majors* and free admission to some places that normally charge, such as the Courtauld.

*The Royal Academy is the main exception I can think of: usually only a measly couple of quid off and they're generally pretty expensive in the first place.

I used to have one of these, but as it got more expensive and as I got older and so eligible for some concessions I thought it was no longer justified/worth it. But I should bear it in mind so thank you for the reminder. 

• Like 1

We tried having the Art Pass for a few years in the mid-2010s but as it got more expensive we found we weren't using it enough to make it worthwhile. If it's now £75 that would mean you'd have to go to at least half a dozen exhibitions a year, probably more.