Royal Ballet promotions (and joiners and leavers) 2023!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Catching 'em young isn't new, of course.

The 'baby ballerinas' of Les Ballets Russes de Monte-Carlo in the early 1930s: Irina Baronova Tamara Toumanova  and Tatiana Riabouchinska 12 and 4. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_Ballerinas

'Doing the steps' at that age is one thing, doing them with the artistry and acting ability of a more mature dancer may be a different thing. 

There is no doubt that Beryl Grey, 'Britain's baby ballerina', was a prodigy however.  Many sources say she danced Odette / Odile on her 15th birthday and Giselle at 16.

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2022/dec/11/dame-beryl-grey-obituary

Edited by Roberta

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I mentioned Beryl Grey DVDfan because there was a suggestion that it was a new ( current trend) for younger dancers to be offered main roles so soon after graduation but just pointing out this was more common in the past and am sure school leaving age played a part. 
When I started school in the 50’s  the leaving age was 14 but 16 by the time I eventually left( at 18) 
It’s now 18 officially I think. 

It’s still 16, but you have to be in some kind of educational setting/traineeship up to the age of 18, so maybe doing a vocational course and apprenticeship, or studying A-levels at college or a school sixth form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OnePigeon said:

It’s still 16, but you have to be in some kind of educational setting/traineeship up to the age of 18, so maybe doing a vocational course and apprenticeship, or studying A-levels at college or a school sixth form.

Yes. And different countries have different requirements which still apply to students studying dance in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

53407247305_d46f491f65_b.jpg

Hoorah I’ve finally managed it RobS 

Have been messaging RobS to be able to use the above piccie and finally managed to post it after a few efforts. 

The reason is to point out Ella Newton Severgnini …in Mirlitons ..she is 2nd from right ( or 3rd from left!) 

Just from a general discussion of which dancers we think may be likely to be promoted in not too distant future  ( like Viola Pantuso) but I also hope Ella gets more chances to be noticed next season! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 2

So you are not free to go out to work in Tescos or any other work not connected directly to education if you wanted to at 16 then? So that feels more like 18 to me!! 
When I stayed on at school until 18 it wasn’t compulsory you could leave at 16 if you wanted to. 

Edited by LinMM

38 minutes ago, LinMM said:

When I stayed on at school until 18 it wasn’t compulsory you could leave at 16 if you wanted to.

You can leave at 16 in Wales and Scotland, England has restrictions. 

• Like 2

@LinMM Ella Newton Severigni danced the Neopolitan in Swan Lake on 1st April, which I believe was her debut in that role. So she's starting to get featured roles. Given she looks to be one of the smaller dancers perhaps she'll get to do a Cygnet at some point in the run as well.

ETA Obviously she didn't get a cutain call for the Neopolitan but I think she is the swan in the background of this photo, if I've got my swan identification right as I do find dancers tend to look rather similar under those feathers.

P1700756.jpg

Edited by Dawnstar
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, LinMM said:

So you are not free to go out to work in Tescos or any other work not connected directly to education if you wanted to at 16 then? So that feels more like 18 to me!! 

The rules in England changed quite some years ago.  For other reasons I was googling the other day and it is allowed to do part time work from the age of 13 as long as it complies with fairly strict criteria and does not infringe on your education.

Pantuso (not Pantsuit as autocorrect would have it) came to many’s attention in the RBS main stage performance in 2021 when she was the Stop Time Rag girl (white costume with pink crossings and stars) in Elite Syncopations (and was on the programme cover).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh thanks for that info Dawnstar. 
When I saw Rob S picture ( Thankyou again RobS) back in December I thought ooo looks like Ella being noticed a bit so if now performed the Neopolitan ( killer of a dance) that’s really good news. 

I noticed her in class at YBSS but of course didn’t know her name. Such a clean classical line and un showy dancer but nice use of epaulement too so not sure where she started training. 
I discovered her name on World Ballet day the following Autumn when she was in a pointe class …I think Nicola Katrak was teaching it? Anyway at one point she went over and asked “Ella” to do something so that’s how I knew her name from then. That was year 9! 
Lost contact then really until saw she was an Aud Jebsen dancer so have been keeping an eye again!! 

I had a similar story with Caspar where saw him at YBSS when he was year 7 and thought what a lovely musical dancer but didn’t  know his name of course until the following year he appeared in that Nutcracker film so pleased he got into the Company eventually too. 

Thanks for the clip Roberta ( looks like posted by proud dad!) lovely dancing. 
Her partner not bad either!! 

Im guessing she’s had a Russian teacher over in America? 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Thanks for the clip Roberta ( looks like posted by proud dad!) lovely dancing. 
Her partner not bad either!! 

Yes she is lovely isn't she? Looks totally in control and enjoying performing!

Thanks. This in danger of becoming the Viola Pantuso fan club now so perhaps back to others! But you can sort of see from these clips why the Royal might have been interested in taking her I think she suits their style quite well. 

Do we know if anybody joined the Royal from the Prix this year yet? 

Edited by LinMM

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

Do we know if anybody joined the Royal from the Prix this year yet? 

If there is an apprentice who chooses the Royal Ballet as his or her prize then the year runs from September. The current PdL apprentice is still named on the RB site as Julie Ann Joyner. 

https://www.prixdelausanne.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/08/ang-rules-and-regulations-pdl2024.pdf

But this years Comp was February so I’m thinking has anybody chosen/ been offered a place as yet for next season ….from  February 2024 competition. 

Viola Pantuso was very good at the Erik Bruhn competition in 2023, partnering Daichi Ikarashi who won the male prize.  

The female competition at the Erik Bruhn competition was very strong.  

The winner was Mackenzie Brown who also won the Prix de Lausanne in 2019 and was already a soloist in Stuttgart (equivalent to RB first soloist) at the time of the EB competition.   She was promoted to principal only 6 months later.  She had a fast rise!  Joined 2020, promoted Demi-soloist in 2021, soloist in 2022, principal in 2023.  Age 21/22 now.

The other strong female candidate was Chloe Misseldine.  Another fast riser.   Joined the ABT studio company aged 16, the main company as an apprentice 18 months later.  She was alteady a soloist at ABT at the time of the EB competition in 2023 (that’s their highest rank below principal).  She debuted as O/O in February this year.  Age 22 now.

These two ballerinas have way more experience than Viola.  I think she is similar age 21/22.   She might be a year younger than the other two.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

But this years Comp was February so I’m thinking has anybody chosen/ been offered a place as yet for next season ….from  February 2024 competition. 

The destinations of the 2023 prize winners was announced in April 2023, so we may hear about the 2024 winners soon.  

• Like 2

Just now, FionaM said:

These two ballerinas have way more experience than Viola.  I think she is similar age 21/22.   She might be a year younger than the other two.  

I think so, the limit is 23 I think.  I watched the comp live and again the next morning and the Royal Ballet pair were lovely and looked so young. Daichi's leap on stage drew gasps from the audience!

They have also done a gala together. 

• Like 1

That’s good but nobody really stood out for me this year at least none of the men did! But can’t remember any particular names like remembered Darrion Sellman in his year. 
I think this year there were a couple of girls  I liked but one  didn’t make the final 20 and the other girl did…. I think was from Portugal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, capybara said:

But  I don’t yet ‘get’ why she is coming to be regarded as ‘extra special’. Maybe BCF members could help me?

(This relates to Viola Pantuso)....I would slightly more cautiously describe her at this stage as having the potential to become a stand-out dancer, or to become 'extra special' if you like. Others will  be better able to rate her technical skills but she looks very proficient to me and more importantly she just seems to  catch the eye in her characterisations and to have a great charisma ...the sort of quality which may be easier to experience than describe. Certainly her Clara, for me, was a complete breath of fresh air.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dawnstar said:

Ella Newton Severigni danced the Neopolitan in Swan Lake on 1st April, which I believe was her debut in that role.

And she is really good in this role.....very charming, and displaying brilliant light, quick footwork. Another young lady with a lot of potential at the RB.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LinMM said:

I'm guessing she’s had a Russian teacher over in America? 

There is some information about Viola Pantuso's early training here.

https://www.balletnews.co.uk/from-student-to-star-viola-pantuso-the-royal-ballet/

From nine to twelve, Joffrey then two years of Vaganova here

https://www.ellisonballet.org/professionaltrainingprogram.html

After that White Lodge. 

Edited by Roberta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1