Letter To Tchaikovsky (with James Hay)

MJW

3 hours ago, Tony Newcombe said:

He danced Lescaut at a dress rehearsal a few years ago. He was a late replacement for Zucchetti. His Manon was Hamilton. They were absolutely superb together. 

Tony, that Manon dress rehearsal has acquired mythic status! If I had known,  with a crystal ball perhaps, that Melissa and James would be dancing Manon and Lescaut respectively in it, I would have bought Friends membership that year and taken a day of annual leave just to be able to book and watch that one dress rehearsal.....and it would have been worth it too. 

3 hours ago, alison said:

Hasn't he already danced Lescaut?

According to his bio, and it seems to be quite meticulously updated with the current important roles, apparently not (if you don’t count one dress rehearsal). I don’t recall seeing his name on the casting in the last few runs of Manon either. It’s a mystery as to why that is. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Emeralds said:

Tony, that Manon dress rehearsal has acquired mythic status! If I had known,  with a crystal ball perhaps, that Melissa and James would be dancing Manon and Lescaut respectively in it, I would have bought Friends membership that year and taken a day of annual leave just to be able to book and watch that one dress rehearsal.....and it would have been worth it too. 

According to his bio, and it seems to be quite meticulously updated with the current important roles, apparently not (if you don’t count one dress rehearsal). I don’t recall seeing his name on the casting in the last few runs of Manon either. It’s a mystery as to why that is. 

I definitely saw him as Lescaut in ? 2017. Akane Takada was Manon with Alexander Campbell as des Grieux. 

• Like 3

James probably ‘suffered’ initially from the perception that he is ‘small’ but, in recent years, attitudes have changed in relation to the ‘suitability’ of dancers for certain roles.

Sadly, however, this age of ‘everyone can do everything’ (and injuries) has also had the effect of squeezing James out.

In my view, there have been roles (Prince Florimund; Rhapsody; Two Pigeons come to mind) where his beautiful dancing and characterisation have eclipsed virtually all of the Principals. AND some photos show that he is at least as tall as three of them.

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, Sim said:

I am 5’7” and have chatted with James a couple of times. He is definitely a bit taller than me. 

Given that would make him about the same as me, I would say that would be the perfect height!

James is certainly similar in height to Alexander Campbell and Marcelino Sambe.

• Like 2

Thank you Jamesrhblack and Bluebird- I wonder why his bio hasn’t included Lescaut in that case. This might be pushing it, but would either of you happen to remember if he was originally cast in it or substituted for someone injured? (Only because I thought the original cast was Takada/McRae/Campbell that year, but I could be confusing it with a different season!) 

in that case, I wish they’d cast him as Lescaut again - or as Des Grieux. I think there was indeed, in the past, an assumption in the casting that he wasn’t tall. But when he appears on stage he is certainly not short. He can partner Naghdi, O’Sullivan, Hayward and Takada beautifully, and in the contemporary works he has no problem with the various tricky lifts and other partnering requirements. He does have that pure classical foundation - you can see it in the wonderful control in his spins- that many don’t have. It’s the same pure foundation that Muntagirov has...they are both elegant classicists (Anthony Dowell was also one). Many of the RB men are dance actors, which is another style that is great to watch, but it is lovely to see pure classicism. 

And I agree with Capybara- he was our favourite Young Man in The Two Pigeons. The others we saw were brilliant, but James had brilliance and on top of that, moved us immensely (TTP has never made me cry prior to that.) Am still waiting to see his Florimund and Rhapsody! 

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

Thank you Jamesrhblack and Bluebird- I wonder why his bio hasn’t included Lescaut in that case. This might be pushing it, but would either of you happen to remember if he was originally cast in it or substituted for someone injured? (Only because I thought the original cast was Takada/McRae/Campbell that year, but I could be confusing it with a different season!) 

in that case, I wish they’d cast him as Lescaut again - or as Des Grieux. I think there was indeed, in the past, an assumption in the casting that he wasn’t tall. But when he appears on stage he is certainly not short. He can partner Naghdi, O’Sullivan, Hayward and Takada beautifully, and in the contemporary works he has no problem with the various tricky lifts and other partnering requirements. He does have that pure classical foundation - you can see it in the wonderful control in his spins- that many don’t have. It’s the same pure foundation that Muntagirov has...they are both elegant classicists (Anthony Dowell was also one). Many of the RB men are dance actors, which is another style that is great to watch, but it is lovely to see pure classicism. 

And I agree with Capybara- he was our favourite Young Man in The Two Pigeons. The others we saw were brilliant, but James had brilliance and on top of that, moved us immensely (TTP has never made me cry prior to that.) Am still waiting to see his Florimund and Rhapsody! 

Will you be booking to see James in SB in May? I’m booked for the 11th

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MJW said:

So am I.  And for his other performance on the 26th.  Both scheduled with Akane.  If she has not recovered from her injury, I am curious to know who he will dance with...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sim said:

So am I.  And for his other performance on the 26th.  Both scheduled with Akane.  If she has not recovered from her injury, I am curious to know who he will dance with...

I’m hoping Anna-Rose as they had a lovely partnership. I have them both performing in SB as my phone’s wallpaper!

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Emeralds said:

I have the original cast saved on my computer and it was as follows:

Saturday 28 April 2018, 7.30pm 

Takada McRae Hay Choe Whitehead

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MJW said:

Yep, I have!  Crossing all fingers and everything else that ASLEF & RMT don’t pick 11th and 26th to plan a strike on those dates. Better still, I hope they will have agreed on the pay and other matters long before May! 

19 hours ago, Sim said:

I don’t mind anyone as long as they’re happy dancing together and as long as James and Akane/Anna Rose/whoever she is get to dance. 😊

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Bluebird said:

I have the original cast saved on my computer and it was as follows:

Saturday 28 April 2018, 7.30pm 

Takada McRae Hay Choe Whitehead

Thank you Bluebird! I’ll have to act quickly next time to book it. I think that year I could only go to one  and thought I would pick Nunez/Bolle as he wasn’t here very often. Little did I know this cast would be a rarity also! 

17 hours ago, alison said:

I'm wondering how much longer I should give this thread before I rename it to The James Hay Admiration Society :D 

All threads with James Hay are by definition TJHAS!  😆- we really appreciate good classical dancing on this forum😊

• Like 7