What to wear for auditions.

Joanne1

Hi, My DD is in the process of auditioning for dance colleges. For some of her auditions she is required to sing a solo ( which she has prepared). It states on the audition not to wear dance wear but her choice of an appropriate outfit. My question is does she choose an outfit that is suited to the character/style of song or an outfit that she feels comfortable to sing in. She is auditioning for post 16. Apologies if this has been asked before, new to this forum and first time writing. Thank you in advance for any advice.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Joanne1 said:

Hi, My DD is in the process of auditioning for dance colleges. For some of her auditions she is required to sing a solo ( which she has prepared). It states on the audition not to wear dance wear but her choice of an appropriate outfit. My question is does she choose an outfit that is suited to the character/style of song or an outfit that she feels comfortable to sing in. She is auditioning for post 16. Apologies if this has been asked before, new to this forum and first time writing. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Hi. We are all here to help in anyway we can. 😊
From my experience the girls tended to wear nice pair of trousers and a top or a pretty (floral)day dress. Nothing too tight or too short. Sunday lunch not Saturday night vibe. (and not linked to their song). With their heels ie New Yorkers or similar. The heels helped them stand better than flats during their solo. Brush the hair down or leave 1/2 up. Light makeup. Light coloured lipstick. 🙂 

Edited by balletbean

My DD has just been auditioning for post 18 musical theatre courses.

She wore a pair of smart trousers in a bright colour and then a plain contrasting fitted sleeveless top, with a pair of nude heels (a couple of colleges said no higher than 2 inches). Sometimes she wore her hair down, sometimes in a low pony and sometimes left it in a ballet bun. This is very much her usual 'style' and so she was much more comfortable than if she'd worn a dress for example.

Definitely agree with Balletbean that it's a 'Sunday lunch' not 'Saturday night' outfit! And the outfit is not 'costuming' the song. 

DD wore light makeup and only lip gloss for her auditions as that is what she usually wears.  Some of the girls she met had 'audition leotards', but DD tended to take a couple of favourites with her, and wore which took her fancy when it was time to dance.  

Best of luck to your DD Joanne1. My DD enjoyed her auditions; having great dance classes, catching up with old friends and meeting new people.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Isabella said:

Can I just ask about associates etiquette. Do you wear your associate leotard if you’re auditioning for a full time place at that school or is it best not to? 

I can’t see anything wrong with this and although not for upper school, I’ve seen this done in auditions for lower school. What I find a bit odd is when young dancers wear their full associates uniform (tracksuit and all) to auditions not related to that school’s associate scheme. My DD and noticed this in various auditions and intensives - in particular students of a specific associates scheme. Perhaps it is like a badge of pride but doesn’t make sense to us especially if the audition, for example, is for other schools.

• Like 2

On 02/01/2023 at 16:47, Joanne1 said:

May I ask which colleges have said this? My DD has 2 post-16 auditions coming up which include singing but nothing has been said about clothing. I'm wondering now if she should take something non-dancey with her? She'd happily stay in her leo all day 🤣

17 hours ago, Streetdancer said:

May I ask which colleges have said this? My DD has 2 post-16 auditions coming up which include singing but nothing has been said about clothing. I'm wondering now if she should take something non-dancey with her? She'd happily stay in her leo all day 🤣

Hi, Both Morea performing arts and Performers College and I believe Laines as well have said not to wear dance wear to the singing part of the audition. Which Colleges is your DD auditioning for?