ROH Next Generation Festival

This is technically a performances seen post but yes!! So good. What a treat to see these young dancers some of whom look set to be the stars of the future for the mere price of £15 in the stalls :) 

https://static.roh.org.uk/digital/cast-sheets/Next-Generation-2022/ABT-10-06-22.pdf details of cast and pieces

Dancers - wow! Kotomi Yamada (who has moved into the main company on an apprentice contract already - very unsurprising having seen her dance!), Jake Roxander, Yuma Matsuura (RBS grad) and Madison Brown were strongly featured, and rightly so since they were all brilliant, both technically and in terms of stage charisma. Kyra Coco also stood out, and some nice moments from Tillie Glatz and Elisabeth Beyer. Madison Brown (recently promoted into StuCo from ABT school) was front and centre of a lot of pieces including Grand Pas Classique and frankly I find it totally unbelievable that she is only 17. To be that good that young!

I really enjoyed seeing some American choreography, too - haven't seen it performed much. "Stars and Stripes" was a fun opening that also looked technically very difficult, and I really enjoyed the Tharp piece "Known by Heart". I also really liked the solo piece Lora, La Follia variations had some fun moments, and by the end I was definitely in the mood to embrace For what is it all worth? which I saw streamed at some point during lockdown, too. I found it amusing that one of my friends decided that while he enjoyed all the dancing overall, as a British person he just couldn't deal with the "cringeworthy earnestness" coupled with "High School Musical American-ness" of For what is it all worth. The only choreography I didn't love was "Children's Song Dance" which went on a little too long and seemed to only be designed to let lots of people be on stage at the same time.

Since we were talking about celebrity spotting at LWFC: Sasha Radetsky was in the audience, also Daria Klimentova.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Sophie_B said:

I really enjoyed seeing some American choreography, too - haven't seen it performed much. "Stars and Stripes" was a fun opening that also looked technically very difficult, and I really enjoyed the Tharp piece "Known by Heart". I also really liked the solo piece Lora, La Follia variations had some fun moments, and by the end I was definitely in the mood to embrace For what is it all worth? which I saw streamed at some point during lockdown, too.

Indeed - I haven't really seen any Balanchine live before so it was great to experience Stars and Stripes, and the strong chemistry and partnership already displayed by Kotomi Yamada and Jake Roxander. Both seemed like very experienced professionals!

Could I ask where you viewed "For what is it all worth?" I would love to see it again. I also really enjoyed "Late Registration". Having such a contemporary piece alongside works like Grand pas Classique made for amazing contrast.

I wish that the whole evening could have been recorded and streamed. I would certainly pay to watch it all again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, art_enthusiast said:

Could I ask where you viewed "For what is it all worth?" I would love to see it again.

It was on YouTube as part of their digital performance "Winter Festival" in early 2021 but I think it was only online for a month or so, sorry.

• Like 1

Thank you for the reviews….yep, I knew I was going to be missing a great night 😢 Actually, art_enthusuast, you are right to say it’s a shame it’s not streamed; surely it’s exactly this type of weeks dance that ought to be streamed so the upcoming next generation of dancers in training can see their vest contemporaries dance & get a flavour of different company styles etc. Especially as the timing of this week with GCSE’s/A Levels-rehearsals for end of year shows etc pdf likely precluded any students attending (certainly any not based in London) Surely lockdown bought on one positive thing for the arts - the clear viability & popularity of live streaming & opportunity to watch on demand etc…

How would we find out of filming took place at all for any events in Linbury this week? 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Sophie_B said:

Since we were talking about celebrity spotting at LWFC: Sasha Radetsky was in the audience, also Daria Klimentova.

As Mr Radetsky is the current AD of ABT Studio Company that's unsurprising. His wife Stella Abrera has just been appointed "interim" AD of the ABT JKO School.

18 hours ago, Sophie_B said:

Dancers - wow! Kotomi Yamada (who has moved into the main company on an apprentice contract already - very unsurprising having seen her dance!), Jake Roxander, Yuma Matsuura (RBS grad) and Madison Brown were strongly featured, and rightly so since they were all brilliant, both technically and in terms of stage charisma. Kyra Coco also stood out, and some nice moments from Tillie Glatz and Elisabeth Beyer. Madison Brown (recently promoted into StuCo from ABT school) was front and centre of a lot of pieces including Grand Pas Classique and frankly I find it totally unbelievable that she is only 17. To be that good that young!

Just to note that Jake Roxander - who is a TRULY glorious talent - is also now listed as an ABT apprentice - so well deserved.  Afonso Coelho - yet another of the tall men - is joining the RDB next month.  Congratulations to all.  

Enjoyed Emily Kikta's Notes and Letters as well - in which the hugely talented Mr. Roxander gave a stunning partnering masterclass much as he did as well in both the Balanchine and Tharp.  So evocative.  Ms. Kikta is a very talented NYCB soloist who has really blossomed in this year's Company seasons.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Sophoife said:

As Mr Radetsky is the current AD of ABT Studio Company

Oh, I do know that, but not that many AD's were also featured in teen movies so he got a few extra stares from fellow audience members I think ;) 

4 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Just to note that Jake Roxander - who is a TRULY glorious talent - is also now listed as an ABT apprentice - so well deserved.  Afonso Coelho - yet another of the tall men - is joining the RDB next month.  Congratulations to all.

Hurray! Thanks for the good news updates

Regarding last night's An Evening with the Next Generation, I found the Dutch National Ballet Junior company's performance of Bloom delightfully interesting - lively choreography and intriguing choice of music. I was also very impressed by the Aud Jebsen Young Dancers performance, Between Us - Daichi Ikarashi was superb.

Hugely evocative, powerful modern dance with a very important message from the Rambert School's Innocent Children. I was slightly underwhelmed by Wayne McGregor's Presentient performed by the RBS, although I normally really like his choreography. Simply too much happening on stage in a rather chaotic manner, hard to take in and appreciate fully. Though I loved the choice of Steve Reich's Triple Quartet.

• Like 2

It looks like this Tuesdays performance at Linbury has been cancelled 😥

Regards to last Tuesday’s performances I agree almost exactly with what you say above art_enthusiast. I loved the Young Dutch with their quirky ballet and music particularly but also the Aud Jebsen young dancers ….nice to see dancers like Viola Pantuso more in the frame but they were all really good and the piece gelled with the music.  
Unfortunately although the dancers couldn’t have served it any better I switched off in the middle of the McGregor piece …just too much going on and not necessarily related to the music and just a little too long for me. Which is why the Dutch piece Bloom was so refreshing I think. 
The Rambert gave us something to think about and am sure all the dancers must have gone home a little sore from all the slapping and stamping of feet but was very dramatic though this was more dance theatre even than contemporary dance. A good evening though for just £15. 

• Like 1

Rambert School's performance was very interesting - Innocent Children was part of the line-up again, along with the very evocative Dancing Day by Christopher Bruce. Beautiful music and the choreography complemented it so well. Also very intriguing to see Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty vision scene and his Highland Fling (Act 2 Excerpt), neither of which I have encountered before. Also found Being very interesting. I haven't really encountered the use of spoken word in dance before, but I can see it does work in some situations!

On 19/06/2022 at 16:47, LinMM said:

The Rambert gave us something to think about and am sure all the dancers must have gone home a little sore from all the slapping and stamping of feet but was very dramatic though this was more dance theatre even than contemporary dance. 

Just wondering, what do you mean by dance theatre exactly? I haven't really heard the term before.

To me Dance theatre is more when lots of props are used and there can often be people speaking on the stage with occasional bits of Dance here and there! 
The Rambert Company have quite a few pieces which are more unusual in one piece the dancers are actually interviewing people on the stage!! 
If the piece is entertaining I don’t mind so much and just acknowledge it’s a bit different but many people get very frustrated by this as it’s not what they thought they were paying to see …Dance!! 
The Rambert piece last week was sort of verging on Dance Theatre …more of a danced drama I suppose. 
I think I prefer it when it’s more pure dance orientated whether ballet or contemporary ….give me good old Rooster any time!! 

• Like 1

I would describe Rooster as dance theatre.

Really anything that tells a story through dance could be classed as dance theatre eg a number of the productions currently in the rep of Northern Ballet that are based on literature or the works of Matthew Bourne.

I came across this article when I googled:  https://www.dancemagazine.com/dance-theater/

I think the essence is that dance theatre is all things to all men.

Yes love Ghost Dances too. 
Jan..I don’t feel Rooster tells a story that much is just dance to different tracks by the Stones ….it’s a while since I’ve seen it but don’t remember the tracks being connected to tell a story. 
I don’t think I’ve been that clear in what I mean by Dance Theatre. 
Of course loads of ballets classical and more contemporary tell stories but they do so largely through Dance. 
When a large part of a piece is using the spoken word on the stage …the dancers themselves speaking …not dancing to someone else speaking …and it’s the focus ( not just some brief yelling or clapping to create atmosphere) then it’s incorporating different skills other than Dance. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, art_enthusiast said:

Just wondering, what do you mean by dance theatre exactly? I haven't really heard the term before.

Maybe dance theatre is a literal translation of the German word "Tanztheater" and although Tanztheater has a  long, long tradition in Germany the first name which springs to mind is Pina Bausch.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 21/06/2022 at 16:16, LinMM said:

When a large part of a piece is using the spoken word on the stage …the dancers themselves speaking …not dancing to someone else speaking …and it’s the focus ( not just some brief yelling or clapping to create atmosphere) then it’s incorporating different skills other than Dance. 

Indeed, that's a good point. In one of the Rambert pieces on Monday there was quite a lot of spoken monologue to the audience, which was interesting but not really what I expected from an evening of primarily dance. The unique talent that dancers have consists of being able to transmit emotion through movement, instead of the spoken word.

• Like 1

If there is an official term “Dance Theatre” then I may be using the term incorrectly!!
It’s just what I personally describe a piece when it’s not really pure Dance. 
I know Christopher Bruce himself has a very good description of what he thinks Dance is when talking about his work Rooster. Apparently Jan …that although there’s not a particular story told he did think it important to link the tracks chosen for the Piece in some way so there is a theme running through it.  To me it’s just a wonderful explosion of dance delight which makes you want to jump up out of your seat and ..well…get up and dance!!  
He describes that piece as having several different dance forms within it but it is Dance and not bringing other aspects of Theatre into it. 

It’s good that choreographers experiment and if it’s not pure dance but still entertains in a joyful or darkly dramatic way for example then I don’t mind quite so much. But as art_enthusiast says above in the end “the unique talent that dancers have consists of being able to transmit emotion through movement……” and I certainly agree with that and why Dance can be so uniquely effective and moving without the need to use the voice (or other devices like film projections etc etc.)  

8 hours ago, LinMM said:

If there is an official term “Dance Theatre” then I may be using the term incorrectly!!

I think it is as "official" as the terms contemporary or modern dance - everybody has different thoughts about what they are. If it helps, here is a small Wikipedia definition in English, and here is the (machine-made) English translation of the much longer article from the German Wikipedia, with historical explanation and examples for Tanztheater / Dance Theatre.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1