RBS - ‘a change in recreational dance training’

Blue Box Ballet

Received this today.
I guess watch this space.

https://mail.royalballetschool.org.uk/76ZA-30ME-0C9966EB387733C815GTJCF29A31C12A2D449D/cr.aspx

145626_enewsbannersize.png

Are you a recreational ballet teacher with a minimum of 3 years’ experience, or a graduate of a Royal Ballet School teacher training programme?

Do you value:

• Innovation
  • Versatility and diversity
  • The need for highly trained teachers, with pedagogical study implicit in training
  • The need for a holistic dance training?

Then we have some very exciting news for you...

More to come end of January 2022 – stay tuned!

• Like 1

My thoughts are i expect this to be a ‘new teacher training opportunity’ that’s just cashing in in now acceptable trend of offering training online;- limitless attendees to maximise cash in....hope to be proved wrong as I really think online does not offer a fully safe way of vetting teacher suitability/capability etc...

I just get very cynical...sorry 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Peanut68 said:

My thoughts are i expect this to be a ‘new teacher training opportunity’ that’s just cashing in in now acceptable trend of offering training online;- limitless attendees to maximise cash in....hope to be proved wrong as I really think online does not offer a fully safe way of vetting teacher suitability/capability etc...

I just get very cynical...sorry 

I’m much more - glass half full - on this although I guess we’ll see. 

They do already have their online Enlighten seminars which I actually couldn’t get booked on at times because they limited numbers. 

Our webinars remain capped at 20 participants to ensure integrity and quality of service.’

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/dancer-training/dance-teacher-training/enlighten/

So I doubt it’s that kind of online model of CPD. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Blue Box Ballet said:

I’m much more - glass half full - on this although I guess we’ll see. 

They do already have their online Enlighten seminars which I actually couldn’t get booked on at times because they limited numbers. 

Our webinars remain capped at 20 participants to ensure integrity and quality of service.’

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/train/dancer-training/dance-teacher-training/enlighten/

So I doubt it’s that kind of online model of CPD. 

Valid points & I shouldn’t pre-judge I know! 

Don’t think it does....Just me being ‘jump the gun’ sceptical?  This ballet lark can make one a little jaded - sorry! Am gonna make an effort to be more like Blue Box Ballet & go for that glass half full mentality! In the meantime....I can be a glass full kind of gal too🍷🍷😘

• Like 2

Teacher training is part online, part in-person.

It is very much not simply CPD. It is a new approach to training and assessing ballet learning, that Affiliate teachers may or may not decide to also run traditional exams alongside. While it is new to the UK, it is the way much of the rest of the (non-English heritage) world works, where centralised exams are rather less common. The new programme has similiarities with ABT's successful programme in the US in particular.

Here's a link to a chat I had with Mark Annear at the Royal Ballet School prior to today's announcement: https://www.seeingdance.com/royal-ballet-school-affiliate-training-and-assessment-programme-220124

Edited by xydancer

The initial training costs seems fairly reasonable, but £550 a year in membership is absolutely extortionate!!! That is ten times how much I pay for my current membership. Such a shame. I would love to do this but cannot afford that, given the scale of my school.

• Like 3

Recreation refers to all those activities that people choose to do to refresh their bodies and minds and make their leisure time more interesting and enjoyable. Examples of recreation activities are walking, swimming, meditation, reading, playing games and dancing.

Is it only me, but why is RBS moving in on recreational ballet ? My children loved ballet and originally danced for pleasure and fun. Then it got serious, JAs, SAs and auditions and the competitiveness and stress set in. Is there a calling for this ? 

• Like 5

Really not sure what to make of this??Cutting out RAD/IDTD/BBO etc.....or enhancing them? 
Danger too of too much RBS emphasis as if it’s the only ‘real ballet’ route? 
And danger of safeguarding etc? Gives teachers too much autonomy on individual pupil success??
And will seriously dilute RBS etc IMHO as there will just be mini RBS schools all over the world!! 
My gut says greed (of money & empire building & individual’s career status) at the heart of this.... turning a luxury brand into a tin of beans on a supermarket shelf! 
Having said this of course....if it were a more affordable route to accredited teaching ??? 🤔🤔🤔

I couldn’t find the ‘entry requirements’ though it appears one needs to already hard or be teaching within an established school? 

And if one is already established, then chances are you are already paying membership fees & complying with CPD requirements....is this already a crowded space that RBS are joining & using that glory ‘Royal’ patronage title & ‘political/cultural/marketing’ muscle it engenders beyond its remit? 

Is this part of the Charitable element (& so in part tax payer & benefactor funded) of RBS or is it a new purely commercial enterprise? These are just my initial musings & should in no way be deemed to be me dismissing or critising it as yet as I need to drill down to see all the info....!

Edited by Peanut68
Typo
  • Like 3

I think they're assuming that a lot of teachers will want the kudos of being 'an affiliate teacher of the RBS' but at that cost?! It's thousands of pounds, plus the yearly fee?!?! Is it really worth it? I'm sure some teachers will go for it, but there are many ways of being a good / successful teacher, and following the RBS system of training isn't always the be all and end all (in my opinion!)

• Like 4

To add, they surely will not want to dilute the brand in terms of prestige & exclusivity so how will they go about limiting? I can see a mass rush to ‘landgrab’ to be the RBS Affiliate  school in a region....won’t necessarily mean it’s the best teachers/school as it might just be those most agile to market or with biggest budget to invest in yet more training/memberships etc....

Thus looks a little rushed out to market; again all just my humble opinions...

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Peanut68 said:

I couldn’t find the ‘entry requirements’ though it appears one needs to already hard or be teaching within an established school? 

And if one is already established, then chances are you are already paying membership fees & complying with CPD requirements....

they’ve just added a prospectus which has entry requirements etc 

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ATAP-Prospectus.pdf

Having the same person in the teaching and assessing role is quite tricky I think, in terms of relationship building and impartiality. I’m not sure the roles are that compatible. I also think any sort of filmed assesment is inferior to an in person one. The training depends on what/ how much is online. I like the approach of not having set exercises but I wonder how successful that is in embedding technique in a pupil who participates maybe once a week. 

• Like 1

ISTD has much fewer set exercises than RAD and, in the exam, the examiner puts together enchainements that the candidates have to perform straight away. This means pupils have to know all of the ballet terms very well, it challenges them more and, I feel, prepares them better for learning solos, doing auditions etc. I agree that doing endless set exercises in every lesson for a year or more with the end goal of an exam is not ideal. But for the recreational once a week dancers, if you're going to work towards an exam there isn't much time for free work if all the exam exercises are set. 

• Like 2

I think it’s worth pointing out that this isn’t just going to be a vocabulary list to help further the teaching of ballet as a practical skill.
It is a new holistic approach to dance education. 

‘Each level will contain both movement and contextual studies to provide a holistic approach to training. Movement studies will include areas such as foundation movement skills, generic movement skills, qualitative movement skills and ballet technique and vocabulary. Contextual studies will include the study of repertoire, choreography, creative tasks, and art form appreciation.’

https://www.royalballetschool.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/ATAP-Prospectus.pdf

‘For the repertoire, Annear explains that the School is linking up with The Royal Ballet through their Creative and Learning Programme and with Birmingham Royal Ballet’s Learning, Engagement, Access and Participation teams.’

https://www.seeingdance.com/royal-ballet-school-affiliate-training-and-assessment-programme-220124/

Edited by Blue Box Ballet
Clarity