Classe de Perfection = ? English title

Pas de Quatre

I have two non syllabus coaching classes, one junior and one senior, for which I struggle to find a suitable title.  I love the term "Classe de Perfection", but it seems imposible to translate, anything I come up with sounds wrong.  Polishing class - nope sounds like I have them cleaning the mirrors!  Finishing class - sounds like it is the end!   Anyone got any ideas?  The junior class encompasses pre-pointe and the senior one pointework.

Edited by Pas de Quatre
Sp

Thanks for the suggestion, but that is actually the opposite of what I mean.  "Virtuosity" would be working on the tricky exhibition steps.  The classes I am talking about are honing technique for extra purity and strength in placement, posture, foot articulation etc. which of course does make the difficult steps better in the long run.

Are they non-syllabus technique classes then? 

Out of interest, here’s the class descriptor for the RAD Virtuosity Classes: “https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/dance-with-us/our-dance-school-in-london/childrens-dance-classes/virtuosity/

They are for “children”; the “adult” non-syllabus ballet classes are called just that. 🙂

• Like 1

These classes sound fantastic (do you take lumpy old adults? 🤣 )

But seriously -

"Technique Coaching and Polishing"

"Hone your ballet technique"

"Technique and Strength"

If you just have "coaching" it may sound as though these are remedial classes for pupils to catch up, but actually you're aiming for the dance pupils who are already competent, but want to perfect their technique. There's a bit of a "tall poppy syndrome" about naming anything as élite nowadays, isn't there? So it's hard to communicate this, without putting people off.

They sound fab classes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, taxi4ballet said:

DD's school did them, and they were called 'Invitation Class' and were either Junior or Senior.

No offence to anyone, but ‘invitation’ kind of creates a 2 tier feeling. ie. those not ‘invited’  might feel inferior or somehow less worthy? I must say our local school did something similar called ‘special smalls’ & though my dancer was too old she still felt that somehow they rated her less & that she wasn’t ‘special’. I’m sure their heart & dance aims were in the right place, just very unfortunate wording IMHO.

i wouid certainly be very careful how anything ‘elite’ is pitched & ensure fairness in selection (nothing wrong with an audition but maybe a good idea to a) have at least one additional neutral ‘adjudicator’, b) that commitment & any t&c’s are clearly outlined before & c) that finance is not a barrier to audition/participating.

Great if pitched right - good luck! 

Edited by Peanut68
Typo!
  • Like 3

Thank you everyone for your ideas, it has given me lots to think about and I may adopt some of them.  In the past I have called them Classical coaching, but then I wondered if people would think it just for exam coaching or for specific roles.  I don't want to use the word Elite as there is a school a few miles away who have it in their name.

So at the moment I have the following:-

- Juniors Classical technique & Pre-pointe preparation (this may be tautology, but at least it is clear!)

- Seniors Classical technique & Pointework

This is really just for leaflets, posters and the timetable, in everyday life everyone just says "the Friday class"!

Kate there is already one lumpy old adult - me!  It is a quirk of the English language that Seniors can mean both school pupils in year 7 and above, or older Adults of pensionable age!  

• Like 3