HopelessMummy

• Jan McNulty changed the title to Degas leotards (opinions)
30 minutes ago, HopelessMummy said:

Just wondering why these leotards are so sought after and why they hold their value so well? My DD had one but I didn't think it looked half as good as her grishko or wear moi ones

My DD started wearing them about 5 years ago when she was 7 and I liked them for their high cut leg line and general fit. Having said that, at the time, one of its unique selling points to me was that they were quite rare and not easily available here in the UK and were sold in limited quantities with the one stockist here. They are also made I believe by the same company that does the Paris Opera Ballet School uniform (for example, you can find one of the Degas styles in the exact style minus the Degas branding for almost £20 less online last time I checked) . Its popularity seemed to have exploded in the last 2-3 years and when I saw them on tiny kids (I’d say age 6/7) they actually looked a tad not age appropriate  because the chest area of the two most popular styles sit quite low and coupled with the high leg line and bare legs with socks, on some it looked more “grown up”. Although no one can dispute how it can make legs look longer! My DD was always a bit tall for her age and preferred tights so perhaps I didn’t notice it back then. Back when the lined version wasn’t easily available, my DD also found the stitching slightly itchy on her sensitive skin. So when she outgrew all her Degas a couple of years ago, I had a grand time selling them because as you said , they hold their value well. Having said all that, she absolutely loved them years ago and they were always noticed by teachers for their lovely fit and cut and the uniqueness of the style. I’d still rate the 2 most popular Degas styles as some of the best audition leotards on the market - in my opinion although I’m no expert -(appearance wise and also for the sheer amount of colour choices) but my DD personally finds for example, Grishko leotards much more comfortable.

• Like 1

Most styles are quite high on the back, there’s a number that are good with a bra. I like the meryl fabric and colour choices and find they wash really well. I do think the styles are better for older girls and adults though

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HopelessMummy said:

Just wondering why these leotards are so sought after and why they hold their value so well? My DD had one but I didn't think it looked half as good as her grishko or wear moi ones

IMHO, our DD’s never like the ones we Mums prefer on them....ah, the joy of pre-teen & then the full blown teen years!! 

I think as a previous poster said they're sought after for auditions as they help create the illusion of longer legs as they're high cut.....Sizing is quite off though. My daughter was a small, very slim 10 year old and we had to get an age 12....x 

I totally agree with Neverjustadancemum that Degas can look a bit not age appropriate on some 6/7/8 year olds... the 9501 looks better than 9502 which I believe is cut higher and lower. Maybe it also depends on your body type? From around age 10 and up they look lovely though.

They wash really well, and they suit DD who finds them comfortable. Lots of pretty colours to choose from. We size up when we get these.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am interested in getting a Degas leotard (probably 9502) for my daughters upcoming auditions. She is 15 years old and usually a size XS/S. Do you have any more information on the sizing and how it fits in comparison to other brands? Also which fabric would you recommend? Lots of people are raving about the Meryl fabric however I want to consider whether it would show sweat marks more than the Matt Lycra, any experiences on this too?

MrsDanceMum I'm afraid I can't help with sizing as my DD is still in the junior sizes - these run very very small and pretty much everyone I know will size up, so perhaps this is also true for the adult sizes. 9502 seems to run even smaller than 9501. 

I would not worry about sweat stains on the meryl fabric! They are fully lined on the front, and the material is really nice, it's nothing like an old school cotton leotard 

Can’t help with sizing either but I can help with the comparison I guess? They do fit quite small. When my daughter was 7, she was in size 10A and it was snug. She’s now a few years older, 5’2”, slim build but not teeny tiny and wears the following sizes in as many brands as I can think of for comparison:

Degas: she can fit into both T0 and T1

Wear Moi: she can fit into both child 14 and XS

Luckyleo: XS

Yumiko: XS

Grishko: usually XXS (I think this is 34?)but can wear certain styles in age 12-13

Bloch: Petite

Capezio: XS

Ainsliewear: Petite

Elevè: XS

Bodile: XS/S

Meryl has a slightly fuzzy feel to it (hard to describe). Very soft. Neither Lycra or meryl we found showed sweat stains but my DD doesn’t really sweat much. In my experience however, meryl shows signs of wear much earlier than lycra. 

Hope this helps x

Would anyone also be able to shed some light as to why these are so popular for audition / audition photos too? My DD is applying for JA's and she has 2 Degas leotards but she doesn't like how low cut they are at the chest (I agree with her). Almost every JA photo I have seen on Instagram is in a Degas leotard. Maybe she can wear one for the photos but I don't want her to be in a leotard that she hates for the actual audition. What would be another good choice? (Sorry for hijacking the thread). 

7 minutes ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

Would anyone also be able to shed some light as to why these are so popular for audition / audition photos too? My DD is applying for JA's and she has 2 Degas leotards but she doesn't like how low cut they are at the chest (I agree with her). Almost every JA photo I have seen on Instagram is in a Degas leotard. Maybe she can wear one for the photos but I don't want her to be in a leotard that she hates for the actual audition. What would be another good choice? (Sorry for hijacking the thread). 

I think it’s the lovely fit and high leg line. I personally think though that it can sometimes look not age appropriate for very young children (my personal opinion) due to the aforementioned leg line and how the top section often sits quite low on the chest - especially the 9502. Very nice and flattering for older children and teens but because younger ones are often in socks, it doesn’t look quite the same as when wearing tights. About 5 years ago, they were very unique and I rarely saw anyone else in my DD’s class in them but its popularity seemed to have exploded in the last 2-3 years hence everyone seems to be in them these days especially in photos. Other alternatives we found that have amazing fit too are Wear Moi and Grishko (especially the Classic Excellence and Academy collections) for good classical leotards.  Do also look at the Degas styles that aren’t easily found here. My DD’s favourite Degas were two styles that aren’t stocked here in the UK.   They fit more comfortable and didn’t look as “revealing”. Attitude Diffusion leotards are also great (I believe they make the WL uniform, and are the sister company of Freed which is why Freed stocks a limited quantity in their shop). Based in France but they ship to the UK very quickly if the item is in stock. Last time I purchased some leotards from them, they literally arrived in less than 24 hours. I suspect their leotards are made in the same factory as Degas (you’ll see what I mean when you check out their leotards).  If time permits and you’re willing to invest in a special piece, you can also order custom ones from brands like Luckyleo (although they now have a minimum order amount before they’ll ship orders to the UK), Elevé and Yumiko. You can pick the style and colour etc. However, for the first two beware of customs charges as they come from the US.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Neverdancedjustamum said:

I think it’s the lovely fit and high leg line. I personally think though that it can sometimes look not age appropriate for very young children (my personal opinion) due to the aforementioned leg line and how the top section often sits quite low on the chest - especially the 9502. Very nice and flattering for older children and teens but because younger ones are often in socks, it doesn’t look quite the same as when wearing tights. About 5 years ago, they were very unique and I rarely saw anyone else in my DD’s class in them but its popularity seemed to have exploded in the last 2-3 years hence everyone seems to be in them these days especially in photos. Other alternatives we found that have amazing fit too are Wear Moi and Grishko (especially the Classic Excellence and Academy collections) for good classical leotards.  Do also look at the Degas styles that aren’t easily found here. My DD’s favourite Degas were two styles that aren’t stocked here in the UK.   They fit more comfortable and didn’t look as “revealing”. Attitude Diffusion leotards are also great (I believe they make the WL uniform, and are the sister company of Freed which is why Freed stocks a limited quantity in their shop). Based in France but they ship to the UK very quickly if the item is in stock. Last time I purchased some leotards from them, they literally arrived in less than 24 hours. I suspect their leotards are made in the same factory as Degas (you’ll see what I mean when you check out their leotards).  If time permits and you’re willing to invest in a special piece, you can also order custom ones from brands like Luckyleo (although they now have a minimum order amount before they’ll ship orders to the UK), Elevé and Yumiko. You can pick the style and colour etc. However, for the first two beware of customs charges as they come from the US.

Thank you. So helpful. 

22 hours ago, BallerinaMum13 said:

I guess it also depends on body type/shape? If long upper body, they will look more low cut than on someone with a shorter upper body. On some with this body type the V comes very far down which doesn’t look right on a younger dancer in my opinion. Best to find a style which your dd feels comfortable in. If she feels a bit awkward and not her best self she might fiddle and tug at the leotard which won’t help bring out her best qualities on the day… 

1 hour ago, Medora said:

Claudia Dean are also very nice, I forget what the style is called but there is one with slightly wider straps than degas which is also very flattering 

She has a collection for exams and auditions with a thinner strap called Odette but personally not sure about their suitability for auditions as there was black and the rest pastel.  The Aurora has the slightly thicker straps and some brighter colours.