Photos for Upper School Applications

Lottylou

Hi, I wonder if I can have some of your pearls of wisdom please as all new to this!   Have checked previous posts but can't find any information - maybe looking in the wrong place.

When taking photos for 16+ applications, should we get them done professionally or do them ourselves?  If professionally, do you have any photographer recommendations please who has experience of taking vocational photos, preferably around London and the South of England.   I am sure our teacher will help but I know she is always so busy and obviously want the best photos possible.   Your experience/ advice appreciated. 

9 minutes ago, Lottylou said:

Hi, I wonder if I can have some of your pearls of wisdom please as all new to this!   Have checked previous posts but can't find any information - maybe looking in the wrong place.

When taking photos for 16+ applications, should we get them done professionally or do them ourselves?  If professionally, do you have any photographer recommendations please who has experience of taking vocational photos, preferably around London and the South of England.   I am sure our teacher will help but I know she is always so busy and obviously want the best photos possible.   Your experience/ advice appreciated. 

Hi.  Save your pennies if you can.  My DD had her photos taken at that age in the corridor of the Art Dept at her brothers school. The Art/Photography teacher kindly took them for us. No special lighting or props. Just taken from a slightly crouched position looking upwards. No regrets. 

I would say most important to ensure the student is shown in their best light technically so would recommend that if the teacher can’t be there when you take the shots that they do advise on which are the best ones to submit. 
If you do decide to use a professional photographer I know that Photography by Ash is very popular for audition photo shoots though have no personal experience with them. 

I agree! Dancers are all about movement quality and not static pics. However, I wonder whether importance is placed on the photographs submitted as I’m not sure all applicants are automatically invited to audition after application or are the photos used to select candidates for audition at 16+? 

Covid has also changed the approach to auditions and I know that over the last 2 years photos and video submission have been relied on with the limits on travel. Let’s hope that ‘in person’ auditions are all back to normal this year as that’s absolutely the best way to assess an individual dancers ability, performance and potential. 

You only get one chance to make a good first impression !! 
or something like that 🤣

If it’s a school you would really like to attend and they aren’t auditioning everyone face to face then I wouldn’t hesitate to seek the best possible photos, whether that is via a professional shoot or with a teachers guidance. 
Three years later when you are looking for a contract the photos you send may be the only opportunity you will have to get your foot in the studio. 
My dd and Ds had photos with Kate Frost. Highly recommend her. They were better quality than the schools recommended top photographer. And cheaper too 😊

We had them done professionally by Amber Hunt.  For both upper and company auditions. She knows what to look at as ex dancer and I have budgeted for it throughout the year. 

I am a queen of spreadsheets and we had all positions summarised before the shoot. 

She included stunning profile photos and various formats. 

I had few quotes from other photographers that I can pass down, but my DD made final research and decided to go with Amber. We don't have regrets. 

I took some photos myself and some done by teacher but I have moved them to e-bin as they would not do any justice to my DD.

I have seen last week photos taken by a photographer with teacher present and the poor girl looked twice her size. I know that child personally and I was horrified what she paid for and what photos she received. 

So I would really go with someone where you can see their portfolio.

I am always amused that parents are willing to spend money for unnecessary items such summer school t-shirt, school branded towels, tracksuits, dance bags which are realy just overpriced backpacks etc..stuff that are not needed, but are thinking twice to spend money for photography for Upper school applications where the 1st impact matters. 

When I knew that audition year is coming, I saved up little every month. Even if it was £10....no more Starbucks coffee with mums and sat in a car waiting for my DD with thermos and home made coffee.

Edited by FlexyNexy
Typo

14 hours ago, FlexyNexy said:

We had them done professionally by Amber Hunt.  For both upper and company auditions. She knows what to look at as ex dancer and I have budgeted for it throughout the year. 

I am a queen of spreadsheets and we had all positions summarised before the shoot. 

She included stunning profile photos and various formats. 

I had few quotes from other photographers that I can pass down, but my DD made final research and decided to go with Amber. We don't have regrets. 

I took some photos myself and some done by teacher but I have moved them to e-bin as they would not do any justice to my DD.

I strongly second this. Photography by Ash (Amber) are amazing and very reasonably priced. My DD hates having her photo taken and her nightmare would be photo shoots of any sort (probably best as it saves me money). And yet last year as a birthday treat she agreed to have a shoot with Ash and absolutely loved it because they are lovely and put her at ease. I was very pleased with the photos (Amber will send LOTS for you to choose from and is happy to suggest the ones she thinks are best). For someone who hates photos and shoots, my DD received a lot of offers from summer intensives overseas partly because of them. Ash’s headshots are also divine. 

• Like 2