Lyrical dance song ideas

Dancerz

Hiya, 

I'm currenlty working on a group dance with pupils from years 8-11. I

It's in school so I have a range of abilities. I'm trying to choreograph something that they'll all be able to do but the experinced dancers won't get bored/ find it too easy.

I am planning to use the song 'dancing on my own' by Callum Scott as I've already learnt a dance to that song but I'm not completely happy with the song as it's all about dancing on my own which doesn't quite fit in a group dance

Does anyone reccomend any other songs that I could use for a lyrical group dance? ideally nothing to deep and lyrics that are approproate for children.

TIA

Laura  

Edited by Dancerz

I'm a bit out of touch with what kids are into now, but my DD is a dance teacher and I know she uses songs from popular films and musicals quite a lot as she's concerned that the lyrics of lots of pop songs are unsuitable. Some of the Disney films have lovely soundtracks which are age appropriate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pups_mum said:

I'm a bit out of touch with what kids are into now, but my DD is a dance teacher and I know she uses songs from popular films and musicals quite a lot as she's concerned that the lyrics of lots of pop songs are unsuitable. Some of the Disney films have lovely soundtracks which are age appropriate. 

thank you that’s great, yes i was thinking maybe a greatest showman song but i feel they are so over used now, too many people i know have used the songs

1 hour ago, glowlight said:

I too was thinking Disney. Maybe something from Frozen?

thank you, i’ll have a look as i hadn’t thought about frozen. it’s secondary school so i don’t want anything too young either but i’ll definitely check frozen out, see if there’s anything appropriate. thank you!

Ah sorry ...I didn't read your original post properly.  I thought it was AGE 8 to 11, not Years 8 to 11.

Disney could still work though.  And there's nothing wrong with using something which will be very familiar to the students and audience.

But with that age group - how about giving them some options and see what they think?  

Edited by glowlight
  • Like 1

Sorry, I also read age 8 to 11, not year 8 to 11, which obviously changes things a bit. That said  there are Disney sings that would still be appropriate. My DD did a lyrical solo to "I'll Try" from Return to Neverland when she was in her early teens which seemed quite appropriate as it's kind of about growing up. I've not seen the new Mulan movue - ids there anything nice in that.

On the musical front,the big thing at the moment seems to be Everyone's Talking About Jamie but I've not seen it so don't know what the songs or like and I guess the theme might be a bit controversial for some, but it's certainly very popular at the moment.

On 16/10/2021 at 20:48, glowlight said:

Ah sorry ...I didn't read your original post properly.  I thought it was AGE 8 to 11, not Years 8 to 11.

Disney could still work though.  And there's nothing wrong with using something which will be very familiar to the students and audience.

But with that age group - how about giving them some options and see what they think?  

sorry for the confusion, i did think that when i posted it but i don’t seem to be able to go back and edit it! 

I was going to suggest beautiful from Jamie too.

There is also If I Met Myself Again but it's a much older woman looking back on her teen years.  The original production had a beautiful contemporary style dance to it bud sadly that has been cut from the post covid version.

Breathe from In the Heights

6 hours ago, Jewel said:

There is also If I Met Myself Again but it's a much older woman looking back on her teen years.  The original production had a beautiful contemporary style dance to it bud sadly that has been cut from the post covid version.

I saw Jamie in London in July 21 and there was definitely a stunning contemporary Duet danced at the same time. Maybe it's been cut for the tour? 

I’ve not seen the tour.  My son and his friend saw the show in London in June (whilst social distancing was still in place) and said it was cut. On Facebook people were saying there was just one dancer who knew that track and lots of reports of it not being in. Maybe they put it back. It was popular.