Chrome browser issues - anyone else?

Ian Macmillan

Is any other Chrome user finding they are unable to connect to certain websites on account of 'security' issues but finding that other browsers have no such issues.  Over the past week I've been finding this with a number of sites.  I've just done a Chrome Uninstall and new download, but it seems to make no difference.

For example, I can't get DanceTabs for this reason:

546972631_ScreenShot2021-10-04at17_37_00.png.7b2339eabb020671715e8a935d210802.png

For some others, it sets out its reasons but has a link to xxxx website (unsafe mode) or somesuch.

So, am I suffering on my own?  

BBC news article about today's Facebook issues.  

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-58793174

Over on Twitter the CTO of Facebook has apologised saying that they are experiencing Network issues and they are working as fast as possible to sort it out.

I'm really feeling for the techies trying to get this sorted.

Edited by glowlight

HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security), is a web security policy mechanism that forces web browsers to interact with websites only via secure HTTPS connections (and never HTTP). It can cause problems. This might help in Chrome

1. Type this into the address bar chrome://net-internals/#hsts

2. In the query box type the domain (eg www.example.com or example.com) - don't type the full path. This will tell you if HSTS is active on that site.

3. In the delete box, type the domain and press delete.

Your browser will no longer force an HTTPS connection for that site. You can test if its working properly by refreshing or navigating to the page.

• Like 1

The situation is developing!  I now appear to be able to get into most sites by accepting an 'unsafe' link and, where I do that, the URL appears something like this:

52206212_ScreenShot2021-10-08at12_22_20.png.fec9fe0157d22e748007e2141da69343.png

What I'd now like to know is whether a link that I post appears like that to others.  So I'd be interested to know how users of today's Links see the Shobana Jeyasingh one there.  (It's the example I've shown.)  If the red ink bits are not carrying through to others then it increasingly looks as if I have a personal Chrome browser issue. 

Glowlight, Sim:  Many thanks to you both - and no need to be sorry, Sim.  That's rather as I imagined things would be and, to my mind, confirms that I have a local peculiarity.  As I think I said up above somewhere, it appeared out of thin air and may just be fixing itself progressively.

• Like 1

These Chrome issues which appear out of thin air often seem to happen when it has done an update.

My husband had one this week where it stopped him accessing the main data base he uses for work.  No-one else had a problem.

I wish I understood it all better (and I work in IT...what does that say?)

• Like 5

On 09/10/2021 at 08:16, glowlight said:

These Chrome issues which appear out of thin air often seem to happen when it has done an update.

I wish I understood it all better (and I work in IT...what does that say?)

Me too. I stopped understanding computers when they stopped looking like this.

300px-IBM_System_370-145_und_Bandlaufwer

Chrome is very annoying with updates. Over the weekend, it decided an extension that I have used for years and has never been updated, contains malware and is now disabled by Chrome. The extension doesn't contain malware and besides, if I want to infect MY computer, I should be free to do so.

• Like 3