Shale Wagman joins Munich Bayerisches Staatsballett

I’m delighted to pass on the news from Shale Wagman, which he announced on his FB page today....

He is joining the Munich based Bayerische Staatsballett under the artistic director Igor Zelensky. 
Congratulations Shale! 
excerpt below:

Dear Friends,  

I’m extremely happy to announce that I’m now a dancer with the Bayerisches Staatsballett in Munich. I’m beyond thankful for this opportunity. Thank you to everyone who has supported me through all of this. I bow down to this wonderful theatre everyday and won’t take one moment for granted. I’m looking forward to this new life here in the gorgeous city.
Sharing my story with you has been a cathartic experience for me as now more than ever we need the arts and to support one another. Lots of love to you all❤️ 

Sincerely, 

Shale

• Like 1

I thought I’d let either Sabine or yourself start this thread lol! 
Ive mentioned it in Doing Dance thread under Prix de Lausanne 

But it’s great news am very pleased for him. 
So is it Berlin or Munich now!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LinMM said:

I thought I’d let either Sabine or yourself start this thread lol! 
Ive mentioned it in Doing Dance thread under Prix de Lausanne 

But it’s great news am very pleased for him. 
So is it Berlin or Munich now!! 

Haha Lin xx It is Munich. A 5 hr train journey for Sabine and a couple of hours flight for us !! 

• Like 1

Last time I was in Munich the city was in a tight mess preparing for the rather famous for wrong reason Olympic Games 

Its time to see it in a better light. 
Still managed to find a few nice cafes for Schokolade und Kuchen 😋

• Like 1

Very pleased for Shale, the more so because he has now recovered from injury.

It will be interesting to see what roles he gets in Munich as Zelensky seems to have tall ballerinas and the taller men there (including Zinhao Zhang and Emilio Pavan who also went there from ENB) look to be in favour too.

13 minutes ago, LinMM said:

I don’t know how good Shales voice is but I think on other thread I said he was joining the Bayerische Staatsoper in Munich 🙄 

Maybe we will find out. The website for the ballet comes under the main heading of Bayerische Staatsoper , a bit like the RB are on the ROH website. Easily done Lin xx 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

We can form a party! I’ve never been to Munich, I’ve heard it’s a beautiful city...

Count me in!  London’s loss is Munich’s  great gain. I wish Shale every success there.  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, LinMM said:

Last time I was in Munich the city was in a tight mess preparing for the rather famous for wrong reason Olympic Games 

Its time to see it in a better light. 

Wow, that was in 1972! You should definitely come and revisit, SO MUCH has changed!!

11 hours ago, Mandy Kent said:

he was joining the Bayerische Staatsoper in Munich

As in most big German theatres, opera and ballet share a house, the management, workshops and often also the website. Some slight differences though for the artistic director, if anyone is interested: in Hamburg, Stuttgart and Berlin, for example, the ballet ADs are independent from the opera director, but in Munich, Igor Zelensky's boss is the opera director/intendant of the Bavarian State Opera.

• Like 3

• alison changed the title to Shale Wagman joins Munich Bayerisches Staatsballett

Super news ... can’t wait to get to Munich to see him there.  

Will be a challenging environment for him as usual requirement is for tall dancers there ... auditions say 1.8m minimum.   In addition to others mentioned, young ‘princes’ Alexey Popov, Dmitry Vyskubenko and Jonah Cook are all tall (6 foot + I am guessing)

19 hours ago, Sabine0308 said:

Well I'm sure Zelensky hired him for a reason and made a smart move, aware of his height but moreso of his amazing talent. I can't wait to see him.

Me too! Such a talented artist. Beautiful line and very artistic interpretation of the music. 

• 3 months later...

A little update:

Shale had his debut in Munich on April 17, when Andrei Kaydanovsky's new full-length ballet "Der Schneesturm" premiered. Online of course. Shale danced 2 roles, The Priest and a lover of the main character Marja. Short but very impressive appearances I must say.

So Igor Zelensky assigned him to begin with rehearsals for Sharon Eyal's "Bedroom Folk" which is part of the triple bill evening "Paradigma". Yesterday, Shale got a 4 hours notice prior show to step in for Nick Losada who felt sick. If you are familiar with the piece then you know that 4 hours to finish learning this piece with all the required "internal counting" (so you wouldn't screw the next move😀) is quite a challenge. He says he enjoyed it!😀

I hope to see him soon and can't wait what the new season has to offer him, when the classics are back.

• Like 3

Thank you … I’ve watched The Blizzard.  Really interesting production and sets and story.   Loved main protagonist Ksenia Ryzhkova (contender for my favourite ballerina at the moment anywhere) and was thrilled to see Shale featured so early in his new company.  Also noticed new hire Chloe Reveillon (trained Paris opera and RBS) and previously at Mariinsky, now here and dancing central front in the corps de ballet ❤️

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, Mandy Kent said:

What fantastic news! Congratulations to Shale Wagman on his well deserved and rapid promotion to soloist. I’ll be visiting Munich next season for sure ! 

And I will be coming with you!!  Many congratulations to Shale.  

• Like 3

Wow so quickly great for him but am not surprised really it is obvious he has the potential to go a long way. 
And thanks for that interview Fiona 😊
Must start brushing up on my German now! 

Edited by LinMM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, capybara said:

Ksenia is really, really tall, isn't she?

I don’t think Ksenia is as tall as she looks on stage. (True for a lot of ballerinas!)

She looks shorter than Johan Kobborg and choreographer Yuka Oishi (who is short) in this photo

You are probably right … possibly too tall for Shale.  Only a dream!  But then he did dance with Olesya Novikova and she is the similar height as Shale.  It’s nice to dream. 

26EC21E8-8E9D-4906-8D56-52E52C119209.jpeg

Edited by FionaE
Typo

Ksenia is shorter than Sergei Polunin when en pointe.  (See Rhapsody videos on YouTube).   He’s 1.8m or 5’11”, so I’m guessing she’s under 5 and a half feet … so shorter than Marianela Nunez, but maybe only by an inch or two.

Easy to find heights of those dancers who have modelling careers and profiles.  Not so easy for others!