Elmhurst Young Dancer Newbies

Daintydancer

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

I was wondering if they separate the boys And girls or if it’s mixed. My DS is starting Y5 Birmingham.

Hello again! Boys and Girls are in separate classes. My DD and her friend (who is a boy) go to Elmhurst and are moving into yr 5 in September so we should see you there!

1 minute ago, Spamcat said:

Hello again! Boys and Girls are in separate classes. My DD and her friend (who is a boy) go to Elmhurst and are moving into yr 5 in September so we should see you there!

Ah that’s good to know, thank you! And look forwards to hopefully seeing you there in September. My son is really excited to be starting. We’ve only just relocated to Staffordshire so didn’t apply last year. Amazed he got in this year, given the difficulties and stresses of a home digital audition. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

@BalletBoysDadI didn't realise they had already done yr 5 auditions. My friend's DD is going for Yr 4 and hasn't had her audition yet.

My sons Elmhurst audition for Y5 was on Sunday 9th August, and we found out the result on Thursday 13th. He was in ‘group 3’ according to the email, but I didn’t know if that was a full day of auditioning for Y5 over all centres. 

Just now, BalletBoysDad said:

My sons Elmhurst audition for Y5 was on Sunday 9th August, and we found out the result on Thursday 13th. He was in ‘group 3’ according to the email, but I didn’t know if that was a full day of auditioning for Y5 over all centres. 

I love how quickly Elmhurst get the results out, no agonising wait! 

By the way I highly recommend the Jazz class. My DDs friend was the only boy who took it last year (1 boy in a class of about 20 girls!). He only did it because my DD persuaded him to but he absolutely loves it. It is a lot of fun and very energetic.

1 minute ago, Spamcat said:

By the way I highly recommend the Jazz class. My DDs friend was the only boy who took it last year (1 boy in a class of about 20 girls!). He only did it because my DD persuaded him to but he absolutely loves it. It is a lot of fun and very energetic.

I was really grateful for how quickly they dealt with it. My sons former ballet teacher in London went to Elmhurst for upper school and speaks so fondly about all her experiences their. So this was the one my son really wanted. Their communication seems so considerate and it’s great that they don’t drag out the waiting. 

1 hour ago, Spamcat said:

Thanks for the recommendation on the jazz class. My son has only ever done ballet so it would be great for him to try something new! 

13 hours ago, BalletBoysDad said:

Hi! 😄 We’ve just moved to Lichfield so it’s only about a 35 minute drive to Birmingham. Will you be travelling very far? Though he has a Sunday associates programme back in London every other Sunday, so we will be putting the miles in. 

We are in Albrighton (stationed at RAF Cosford) so not a long journey for us either! 

The boys are in a separate group and my son will be in Group 5 10:30-11:45am.

A shame there being no jazz class for the time being, but it’s great they’ve been able to allocate actual studio time for all groups under the current circumstances! Probably a huge achievement in itself. 

1 minute ago, BalletBoysDad said:

The boys are in a separate group and my son will be in Group 5 10:30-11:45am.

A shame there being no jazz class for the time being, but it’s great they’ve been able to allocate actual studio time for all groups under the current circumstances! Probably a huge achievement in itself. 

He is in with my DDs friend who we will probably be taking every alternate week. Annoying our classes are at different times now as we always take turns.

9 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

He is in with my DDs friend who we will probably be taking every alternate week. Annoying our classes are at different times now as we always take turns.

So are both you DD and DD’s friends rising from Y4 to Y5? It’s ashame you’ll have to hang around much longer. But I’m amazed they are actually running physical classes.

Although we left London a few weeks ago, we’re still on email updates for a couple of his former Ballet schools. In order to accommodate the older children, they’re still putting the younger ones on zoom classes. I

11 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

So are both you DD and DD’s friends rising from Y4 to Y5? It’s ashame you’ll have to hang around much longer. But I’m amazed they are actually running physical classes.

Although we left London a few weeks ago, we’re still on email updates for a couple of his former Ballet schools. In order to accommodate the older children, they’re still putting the younger ones on zoom classes. I

Yes I know and I am glad we are getting a class every week, I don't mind hanging around.

Yes they are both rising from yr4 to yr5 at Elmhurst. (Sorry I gatecrashed the newbies thread) 😬

They are both auditioning for Royal so we are hoping that either they both get in, or neither. Otherwise that will mess things up! 😂

40 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Yes I know and I am glad we are getting a class every week, I don't mind hanging around.

Yes they are both rising from yr4 to yr5 at Elmhurst. (Sorry I gatecrashed the newbies thread) 😬

They are both auditioning for Royal so we are hoping that either they both get in, or neither. Otherwise that will mess things up! 😂

No I’m terrible. I see the same names on different threads as were all applying the same things 😂 Will you be travelling far for the Birmingham classes? We are applying for RBS JA’s I’m Birmingham too, but after the disappointment of a SWL place last year that never materialised I think we will take it in our stride and just treat it as an experience. My son also has a Tring CBA audition on the 5th September. If he got another class that would be great, as wee recently moved and he’s left behind all his London ballet. So it’s great to have Elmhurst! 

4 minutes ago, BalletBoysDad said:

No I’m terrible. I see the same names on different threads as were all applying the same things 😂 Will you be travelling far for the Birmingham classes? We are applying for RBS JA’s I’m Birmingham too, but after the disappointment of a SWL place last year that never materialised I think we will take it in our stride and just treat it as an experience. My son also has a Tring CBA audition on the 5th September. If he got another class that would be great, as wee recently moved and he’s left behind all his London ballet. So it’s great to have Elmhurst! 

Yes it is a 2 hour drive for us.

It was me you were chatting to about them both being really young and the smallest in the audition last year. 😀

4 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

Yes it is a 2 hour drive for us.

It was me you were chatting to about them both being really young and the smallest in the audition last year. 😀

Well I hope the all have better luck this year. Amazing how much difference a year makes. I noted that Birmingham is its own separate application group this year. I wondered if that was for geographical reasons, or that Birmingham has a much higher number of applicants given I imagine it’s a bigger centre. Who knows. I think I drive myself unnecessarily mad trying to work out things I’ll probably never know 😂 

3 minutes ago, Spamcat said:

I mean two hours each way, so 4 hours!!

That’s dedication! We will be doing that for Ballet Boost on alternate Sunday’s. Lichfield to Richmond is 2hr26 each way, without stopping. If he gets into Tring, it’ll be a choice between the two, as they run on practically the same days. But that’s still 2hr5 each way, so we’re in much the same boat! 

15 minutes ago, Dancemum100 said:

Did everyone receive an email last night or just Birmingham? My daughter is starting Manchester year 5 and we haven’t heard anything after the email offering her a place last Thursday? 

We haven’t heard anything about Plymouth yet so I wouldn’t worry I think it must have just been Birmingham.  Hopefully we will hear news today.

Hi, I’m new to the forum. My daughter has been offered a year 4 place, with a view to move into year 5 after a term if she catches up, following a phone discussion with Miss Whiteman. (She is year 5 age). I believe there may be others with the same offer? 
 As this meant our offer was slightly later than others, we only had the email with all the registration forms, uniform list etc late Wednesday night, so I ordered her kit yesterday, but it’s almost all out of stock. Has everyone else found this too? I’m a bit worried her leotard won’t have arrived by the 12th. Thanks

51 minutes ago, Bookish said:

Hi, I’m new to the forum. My daughter has been offered a year 4 place, with a view to move into year 5 after a term if she catches up, following a phone discussion with Miss Whiteman. (She is year 5 age). I believe there may be others with the same offer? 
 As this meant our offer was slightly later than others, we only had the email with all the registration forms, uniform list etc late Wednesday night, so I ordered her kit yesterday, but it’s almost all out of stock. Has everyone else found this too? I’m a bit worried her leotard won’t have arrived by the 12th. Thanks

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

The Elmhurst suppliers are having trouble with uniform due to a backlog at the factory caused by the lockdown, with lots of full-time students on back order too. The school are being very understanding in the meantime. I think the associate uniform is the same as previous years though, so you might be able to pick up a second-hand one on the buying/selling page to do you for now.

Edited by SissonneDoublee
Missed a bit!